• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

Thanks! I have two speaker boxes behind the front seats. I mounted some brackets behind the dash and put two 6x9 speakers there. One behind the glove box and one to the left of the steering wheel. Tight fit but I got them in. The speakers and radio were free so I just had them laying around. Eventually I'll get a nice sub and maybe a backup cam since the radio supports it. It took about 3 hours or so to make all the cuts, a little more to run wires to try to keep them hidden. That plastic melts fast! The metal wasn't so easy, ruined a saw blade making the hole big enough. I cut two lines on either end and bent the original dash pieces back. Not the best hack job, I shouldve taken time to sand the edges, but its covered by the plastic so not really noticeable.

I bought a hidden antenna with a booster and installed it behind the dash too. Wired it to the acc wire for the radio for power and it picks up stations great. I was a little skeptical about it but I got it free too thanks to Bing and Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome.
For the sub if you're not looking for a super expensive competition set up get a Car Dual sub kit. They have on that's a 10 inch sub 300 Watts output. The amp is made inside the box. The only wiring you do for it is the ground, power, and outputs from the radio. The controls and runners are on the back of the box. It's a basically self contained sub. You can get them at Walmart I have one and love it.

howardc

Awesome.
For the sub if you're not looking for a super expensive competition set up get a Car Dual sub kit. They have on that's a 10 inch sub 300 Watts output. The amp is made inside the box. The only wiring you do for it is the ground, power, and outputs from the radio. The controls and runners are on the back of the box. It's a basically self contained sub. You can get them at Walmart I have one and love it.
Thanks I'll have to check it out. Just got my accessory charger in the mail today so I'll have to wire that where the cig lighter would've gone.

CUCVLOVER

Well my truck has sat for almost a week without being started. Yesterday I got in and it started before the engine crankded over twice. It really makes all the blood sweet and sour words worth it when the truck runs like that. Then I took off to dover. Held that truck at 50-70 the entire way there and back with out a single hiccup. That truck sure does eat up the road at that speed and yes it's screaming but I like a screamer. Also if a cucv hi brighted you last night in Dover I'm sorry about that I didn't notice they were on High.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was jonesing for cruise control this week. Wouldn't have been worth much in the mountains but I had 450 miles each way that I would have really enjoyed cruise.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please see my post #3377 in this thread. A short metal broom handle works well as well. I alternate between the broom handle and the bat. the bat needs a little bit of tape on it so it stays on the pedal. Without the tape, the bat slides off. The broom handle needs one minor modification. I put a rag over the end of it to provide some cushion for my hand.

3jumpjeep

I was jonesing for cruise control this week. Wouldn't have been worth much in the mountains but I had 450 miles each way that I would have really enjoyed cruise.
My everything hurt by the time I arrived last night. She was built for neither comfort, nor speed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3jumpjeep

Please see my post #3377 in this thread. A short metal broom handle works well as well. I alternate between the broom handle and the bat. the bat needs a little bit of tape on it so it stays on the pedal. Without the tape, the bat slides off. The broom handle needs one minor modification. I put a rag over the end of it to provide some cushion for my hand.
I should have thought of that. And I have a Tee Ball bat I the truck. It's good for many things. This will make the ride back next month easier.

Another Ahab

950 miles/25 hours in the right lane.
Has anyone thought of installing cruise control?

Two drivers?
No, just me and my dog Ginny. I used to let her drive, but only I my Jeep. Lol

There was a brief period of about 5 years in my lifespan when I could do that sort of thing.

And that moment has long since come-and-gone. :beer:

RobM36A2

A cruise control would be nice indeed.
I don't think the LEO's overhere wille be amused by a redneck solution for cruise control, so please a proper push-the-button-to-engage one :recovry4x4:

3jumpjeep

A cruise control would be nice indeed.
I don't think the LEO's overhere wille be amused by a redneck solution for cruise control, so please a proper push-the-button-to-engage one :recovry4x4:
You are correct about the LEOs. Most wouldn't understand backwoods logic.
More frequent stops or a co-driver is to be recommended.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of average speeds, this was from my return trip yesterday. My moving average was 65.1 but ran into a road closure in my neighborhood and had to make a U-turn. I didn't stray from the truck at all the entire trip.

Attachments

rsh4364

Oil and filter again.I used rotella T5 this time since it's finally warming up outside. Used 2 quart filter STP# S373,I change it every 3000 miles, since I am driving 600 miles per week it's about every 5 weeks.Also picked up enough 1-0 gauge copper cable to finish my battery cables and I got a good deal on a 24v direct drive new GM starter. Sadly when I have time to work on my 1009s I have no $,and when I have $ I have no time!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks