• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess one stubborn filter in over three decades of changing my oil isn't bad. I've never paid anyone for it. I always fill the filter with oil and lube the seal before install; hand tight.

gottaluvit

It just happens at times. I think nice clean hands and filter just make a way better grip than we realize. Plenty of times I have broke out the massive channel locks to loosen filters I know darn well I only hand tightened, with oil on the seal.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the simplest things....

I planned to do an oil change before we went out today, figured 30 to 45 minutes tops. Pulled the nose of the truck into the garage (because that's all that fits) and didn't even bother with the ramps, just rolled under with the creeper. Drained the old oil out and went to pull the filter and it wouldn't budge. The wrench just kept slipping off.

Time to pull out the big gun- monster channel-locks. Ended up punching a hole in the filter which dripped all over me and everything else. There's not much maneuvering room under the truck for the pliers, but managed to get it to turn finally, then grunting sweating I kept turning it a millimeter at a time until it finally broke free.

I'll pick up a strap style filter wrench tomorrow; the socket kind let me down today.

What a mess! One of the most valuable lessons I learned from my 20 years in the AF was how to get oil off concrete floors; the auto hobby shop demanded the floor be as clean when you left as when you came in. They were militant about it too.

View attachment 627705View attachment 627706View attachment 627707View attachment 627708
Lube the seal and threads with oil, hand tighten (good and tight)....

Never had a problem backing a filter off ;)

cucvrus

DSCF7142.jpgDSCF7141.jpgDSCF7140.jpgBig Red just got 4 new E range Goodyear Duratrak LT235/85R16 tires, New springs and new shocks as I documented in the spring has sprung thread. The tire shop is loving me about now. I bought 2 new sets of tires in the last week. I bought 2 sets 2 weeks ago for other vehicles I own. Strange enough I need some white wall tires and they are about non existent. Duratraks might look cool on my Cadillac. NOT.

Another Ahab

Strange enough I need some white wall tires and they are about non existent. Duratraks might look cool on my Cadillac. NOT.
By coincidence, I ran across a beautifully restored pristine Chevy Impala not a week ago here in the D.C. area (a '68 I think), that was sporting a set of immaculate white-walls. It looked GREAT.

So I know the white-walls are out there, but couldn't tell you from where.

cucvrus

It just happens at times. I think nice clean hands and filter just make a way better grip than we realize. Plenty of times I have broke out the massive channel locks to loosen filters I know darn well I only hand tightened, with oil on the seal.
DSCF6331.jpgDSCF6332.jpgDSCF6333.jpgI bought this tool from Snap-On. It works well and has 1/2" square on one end and 3/8" square on the other end. I used it several times on all types of oil/fuel filters works every-time. The harder you turn the harder it grips. It was a bit pricey $50. US but good things cost money. No Harbor Freight junk in my tool box. I like my hands and fingers to much to get all pinched and cut up getting a stubborn filter off. I used it to take rusty cab mounts off already. Someone put a 4" body lift on an M1009 and someone else(Me) took it off and put the stock new Energy suspension mounts on. The spacers were corroded fast to the steel bolts. Some so bad I had to torch the aluminum half way off. I will never understand the point. The M1009 was nice it just needed some un-mods done to it. I was having camera issues the past week. So I was not taking as many pictures. The camera is back up and running again. Take care have a great day.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the 80s a friend was changing the oil in his new Camero in the barracks parking lot and the filter would not come off. He asked me for help so we tried everything we knew using everything we had- no luck. The strap wrench just slipped. So he gets the idea to drive a screwdriver through the body of the filter and be done with it. The filter wasn't done. Near the end there was nothing left but the base of the filter still clutching the bottom of the motor. He was getting ready to call the tow truck but I had an idea of my own. We put two screwdrivers into the return holes and used a third between them to get some torque on it. It worked.

cucvrus

I had that happen on my 1968 SS396 Chevelle. I was down to the point where I used an air chisel and took the base plate from the engine. I replaced the entire mounting plate because I was afraid I had beat it to hard. I think it was just 2 bolts and a small aluminum piece with the threads.DSCF7164.jpgDSCF7165.jpgI like these little oil filters. They are very heavy duty. They are for my Honda tractors and they are tough so that nothing hits them and pierces the skin. But the rolled top edge feels like 10 gauge steel. I know it is not but they are well built filters. Honda equipment sets the standard for well built equipment IMHO.

rustystud

Spin-on oil filters need the gasket lubed ( I use Vaseline) and tightened until snug and then 1/4 turn more. When I say snug that just means it won't spin by my finger tips anymore. We get some knuckleheads at work who think tighter is better and actually use the filter wrench to tighten the filter. At one time we had a 4ft cheeter bar on a filter wrench trying to get the filter off. These filters are the large 5 inch diameter by 14 inch long Cummins filters.

cucvrus

DSCF7188.jpgDSCF7189.jpgDSCF7190.jpgDSCF7191.jpgI used the Mule M1009 to pull the engine front on my Cadillac. I needed to change the blower motor and the turn buckles just kept breaking. I hooked unhooked the dog bone motor mounts and hood to the D rings and cranked them tight. It tilted the engine far enough for me to install a new blower motor. Actually a GM I found at the YOUPULLIT. Worked well and tilted it more then the intended use turnbuckles. I think the V8 North star engine was to heavy for the turnbuckles I have. That is what I did with my CUCV today.

SgtHaas

Well today a buddy of mine and I changed all 8 glow plugs.... all 8 old ones were bad reading 0/inf on the ohm meter. Not a one of them gave us trouble getting them out. Replaced with AC DELCO 60G. Started right up. Also trouble shooted a ground issue with the front marking lights. The Fuel pump is next weekend. Along with the oil cooler lines. That will be fun...

Sgt Haas USMC/0311 / M1009

jholler

Replaced front brakes, inspected rear brakes and plan to replace them next weekend. Reattached rear view mirror, mounted 3000w inverter on wheel well, removed passenger seat due to broken mounting bolt and tapped all four holes for slightly larger M10X1.50 bolts. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my surplus MIL-9000 winch looked at...sure looks good on there, just wish it worked!

jholler

Oh...and painted my 1970 fiberglass fishing boat with RAPCO rattle cans to match the M1009...all the pros have trucks that match their boats, now I do too!

SgtHaas

Replaced front brakes, inspected rear brakes and plan to replace them next weekend. Reattached rear view mirror, mounted 3000w inverter on wheel well, removed passenger seat due to broken mounting bolt and tapped all four holes for slightly larger M10X1.50 bolts. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my surplus MIL-9000 winch looked at...sure looks good on there, just wish it worked!
What king of inverter did you get? I want to install one as well?

Sgt Haas USMC/0311 / M1009

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up one of these laptop charging carts from the state auction for $56 and carried it home in the M1009. They have sold on the auction for between $50 and over $100 and the retail is around $1600. It wasn't very useful with the shelves being so close together, but it was very easy to drill out a dozen rivets and pull a few bolts and remove every other shelf to get a 6" high shelves. They are double sided with shelves on each side, locking doors, and even a timer in the bottom for the outlets inside and out. I will use it to store and charge my power tools. I wish I had room for another one. Well built and heavy duty.

The first three pics are the auction pics, and the fourth one shows the doors off and half the shelves removed, the last shot is the outlets inside.

Cart1.jpgCart1a.jpgCart1b.jpgCart2.jpgCart3.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

I changed the stop lamp switch in Big Red. I had a close call twice in the last week. Vehicles skidding behind me. Today it was an 18 wheeler. I thought that is odd. I looked and tghe brake lamp switch was stuck in. I stopped by the friendly neighborhood Autozone and picked one up for less then $10. US. I installed it in the parking lot. The other one is 33 years old. It was proudly embossed with. "Made in USA" I pitched it in the trash. It did stick from wear on the switch plunger. Back on the road again. Nothing can stop us now. So 33 years from now I can get a new switch for free. The new one is warranted for life. Made in Taiwan. It works I don't care where it's made. Have a great day. My Sons Marine Corp bags were Made in China. I bought NOS brake drums 20 years ago for my M1009. They were made in China. I never used them but my point is they have been doing it for that long.

Another Ahab

I changed the stop lamp switch in Big Red. I had a close call twice in the last week. Vehicles skidding behind me. Today it was an 18 wheeler. I thought that is odd. I looked and tghe brake lamp switch was stuck in. I stopped by the friendly neighborhood Autozone and picked one up for less then $10. US. I installed it in the parking lot. The other one is 33 years old. It was proudly embossed with. "Made in USA" I pitched it in the trash. It did stick from wear on the switch plunger. Back on the road again. Nothing can stop us now. So 33 years from now I can get a new switch for free. The new one is warranted for life. Made in Taiwan. It works I don't care where it's made. Have a great day. My Sons Marine Corp bags were Made in China. I bought NOS brake drums 20 years ago for my M1009. They were made in China. I never used them but my point is they have been doing it for that long.
The purchasing rule I've always lived by (pretty much) is "if it's good, I want it".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks