• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

3jumpjeep

No. You got an Australian part right there; that's the problem. Down Under in Oz, you see, they'd work perfectly.

Aussie Bloke or his buddies can explain it all to you.

You either got to emigrate or swap out with Northern Hemisphere components.
I hear the Aussies use beer instead of washer fluid. They don't fill the reservoir with it. They just drink it and worry about the windshield another time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rustystud

Fired up Terminus M1009 and pulled a few unwanted shrubs for the neighbor. I seen him digging them out in 94 degree weather. No way I could watch. I had the starter relay stick on it and replaced it with an Autozone one for $15.90. Warranted for life. I still say that issue is caused by weak low voltage batteries. that was the case when I bought Terminus it had weak batteries. All is well the A/C in Terminus M1009 was not working so we pulled 2 shrubs and took a break and went and pulled 2 more. A man has got to do what he has got to do. I have been slacking on a few of my projects and working on a few others. But I had 4 shirt days this weekend. You know its hot when you need to shower and change your clothes 3 times in 1 day. My socks and shoes were filled with sweat. Just breathing made you sweat. Tropical humidity. Unreal. Have a great day and stay cool.
I agree about the low voltage killing the starter relays. When it gets too low the voltage/current is not enough to "hold" the relay against the contacts and it "stutters" causing undue wear on the contact plates. This of course leads to total failure of the component. So everyone keep those batteries charged up.

CUCVLOVER

The other day while the site was down I did the transmission fluid and filter in my truck. It definitely need to be changed, I also picked another wiper motor to Install today hopefully.
I got the new wiper motor put on. The lifetime warranty is nice, I got the wiper motor I took off at autozone so this one was free. If it quits I'll take it in and get another one.

cucvrus

Received and installed rigid/trucklite #55003 headlights big difference over Hella halogens, thanks cucvrus.
Step carefully. After over a year the Mr Crusty thread was moved from CUCV to CUCV Hot rodding. Them headlamps are putting you in a grey area. May I suggest you remove them and send them to me and I will send you a new set of stock GM halogens with brand new buckets? I want you to stay on the good side. Don't come over to the dark side. But they are the best headlamps. You will really like them as will everyone that is coming towards you. Very bright but easy on the on coming traffic. Keep going change all the lights to LED. Helps the old truck get rid of some of that antiquated lighting. More useful then A/C.

rsh4364

Thanks Rick, I love the led lights. So far I have trucklite 07392 floods in grill guard and the 55003 installed, next is the trucklite 07382 also going to be installed in grill guard. MVMULES has the floods for a good price.Those 24v led lights are impressive.maybe we need another page. We could have cucv restoration, cucv upgrades and cucv hotrodding.

Last edited:

AECS

Drove it to work. It has been neglected the last week or so, it is hard to drive it when it is 100 out, and there is a Harley parked next to it...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a day of hauling bricks and cement bags I broke out the pressure washer.
Gave it a good wash and steamed cleaned the engine also.
Darn good ranch truck.

Now she sparkles......figuratively speaking.

Last edited:

kimco

Yesterday I received my title from Iron Planet.
Today, I got insurance for it $150/year, scheduled a vehicle verifier to come verify the vehicle for the CA DMV (REG 31) and made my appointment with the DMV to register it on 9/9.

rustystud

After a day of hauling bricks and cement bags I broke out the pressure washer.
Gave it a good wash and steamed cleaned the engine also.
Darn good ranch truck.

Now she sparkles......figuratively speaking.
Better get some grease and oil on that rig or the rust monster will start to eat your truck ! Actually a good paint works too :wink: .

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better get some grease and oil on that rig or the rust monster will start to eat your truck ! Actually a good paint works too :wink: .
A few scratches only. Any bare metal gets either paint or in the beds case a spray of the metal protectant.
All the other places (hidden) have had a good spray of ACF50. It's the stuff our mechanics use on the Helicopters for corrosion prevention. Great lube also.

machinist75

Installed a corvette servo into the 700r4 trans in my cucv burban clone. Took about an hour to do, cost $14 with free shipping off amazon. Firmed up the first to second and seemed to do a little for the 2nd to 3rd.

rustystud

014.jpg011.jpg013.jpg008.jpg

Finally got my "reverse U-bolt" kit installed today. What a pain to torque those nuts on the top of the springs instead of the bottom ! At least my overload air-bags still mount up OK.

cucvrus

View attachment 640892View attachment 640893View attachment 640894View attachment 640895

Finally got my "reverse U-bolt" kit installed today. What a pain to torque those nuts on the top of the springs instead of the bottom ! At least my overload air-bags still mount up OK.
Good Job. Looks great. Everything nice and neatly painted and installed the way it should be. NO HACK job there. I am used to seeing good enough hack jobs on most of the CUCV'S I look at. Attention to correctness and detail is what makes vehicles look good and function as designed. These were designed to last about 15-17 years. they are living/running on borrowed time unless you keep doing great work to them and do it correctly. Have a great day. Keep up the great work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks