• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just gave my 30 year old M1009 a birthday present. Just had her rust-proofed at a Krown dealer and gave her all new oil & filters.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, crap. Been out of commission for over 2 weeks now with a pinched sciatic nerve. Just before that I started the SECM looking truck up and the oil idiot light stayed on. Hoping for it to be a sensor, I bought a replacement. Going to get my son to swap it out today. Hope that's all it is, just bought 4 new Duratracs for the back of it. New shoes for the GA Rally is a good thing.

cucvrus

barbed wire M1009.jpgbarbed wire M1009.jpgI balanced my rear driveshaft and cleaned the pinion seal with a full length of barbed wire. Happens every time no matter how careful I am. Easy fix a trip to Autozone a new seal some new gear oil and back on the job. Total cost of repair 1 hour and less the $20. The hedge rows were really grown up this year and the poison was especially active on the arms and neck.

rsh4364

What about the Delphi injectors?
How were they acting up?
Not faulting the Delphi injectors just yet, but does run and start better with the tested Bosch injectors. I'm not ruling out bad ip.or lift pump yet. I was experiencing sporadic dry knock and blowing black smoke but just occasionally, once I added fuel additive it would clear up.I just decided to go with the Bosch injectors to narrow down what could be wrong.

Last edited:

rustystud

View attachment 643191View attachment 643191I balanced my rear driveshaft and cleaned the pinion seal with a full length of barbed wire. Happens every time no matter how careful I am. Easy fix a trip to Autozone a new seal some new gear oil and back on the job. Total cost of repair 1 hour and less the $20. The hedge rows were really grown up this year and the poison was especially active on the arms and neck.
I guess that's one way to clean the under side of your truck ! :wink:
That has to be a pain in the A$$ to cut off though !

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 643191View attachment 643191I balanced my rear driveshaft and cleaned the pinion seal with a full length of barbed wire. Happens every time no matter how careful I am. Easy fix a trip to Autozone a new seal some new gear oil and back on the job. Total cost of repair 1 hour and less the $20. The hedge rows were really grown up this year and the poison was especially active on the arms and neck.
Kick a bees nest you get stung, pull out fencing you get barbed

cucvrus

I guess that's one way to clean the under side of your truck ! :wink:
That has to be a pain in the A$$ to cut off though !
It was not all that bad. The worst part was the oil. But my Son and I removed it with a vise grips and a fencing tool. It came right off. We were laying in a Speedway gas station parking lot doing it and a Pennsylvania State Trooper came up and ask us if everything was OK. We told him what had happened and he said that sounds like fun. It was not all that bad. And the worst case was it chewed the lip off the seal and the inner flange was a wee bit of a struggle to get out. With a seal puller it came right out. So I filled the axle with oil and finished the chores for the day. And it did spray the entire tailgate, under carriage, trailer and even the inside a bit with an oily film. Great rust proofing and also a great dust attractant. We worked the fields yesterday without incident. It was a 30 year old pinion seal and it needed maintained anyway. That's how I look at it. For the record the Autozone seal was a National seal.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wire looks nearly new. How did you get a new strand of wire caught on the drive shaft?
Good job fixing problem quickly! Many rear ends get burned plumb up when this happens.

cucvrus

That wire looks nearly new. How did you get a new strand of wire caught on the drive shaft?
Good job fixing problem quickly! Many rear ends get burned plumb up when this happens.
DSCF7526.jpgPulling the fence was the easy part. Useful M1028. Cutting the wire from the hedgerow was the hard part. The fence was 30 years old at least and was rusty at places. The rusty places break and get stuck in the hedgerow. When I drive up the hedgerow and look for wire I do not see it all. I drag a grappling hook /chain and it still does not get it all. The M1009 finds it when I least expect it. And the gear oil smell was instant. I knew what it was the instant it hit my nose. I was only about 5 miles from the shop. I filled the oil and worked the rest of the day and got my chores done. I fixed the seal and refilled the oil before the sun set. I spent the rest of the night scratching poison ivy. Oh Joy. Poison Ivy and barbed wire scratches what a big delight. I am only a 1/4 of the way done. I took a break so I can heal up. I have lots of other projects to work on.

Another Ahab

Well, crap. Been out of commission for over 2 weeks now with a pinched sciatic nerve. Just before that I started the SECM looking truck up and the oil idiot light stayed on. Hoping for it to be a sensor, I bought a replacement. Going to get my son to swap it out today. Hope that's all it is, just bought 4 new Duratracs for the back of it. New shoes for the GA Rally is a good thing.
That sure is no fun. You all good now?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks