• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Today i broke the back window on Voodoo M1009. I was driving and picked up a co worker that was weed whacking and he put the Stihl in the back and we drove down the road and the explosion took place. We were off road on a rough area of field. We removed the cover and shop vacuumed all the glass diamonds from the inside of the gate. No harm no foul..
Yeah, they go off like a "BOOM". I think that's from the tempering; it must put the glass under tension.

I did that once just backing into a parking spot and there was a tree branch I couldn't see and just pushing back into it, and...BOOM: no more rear window!

gottaluvit

That is funny. I use a trailer a lot and them convex mirrors stink for detailed visibility when backing up with my half a century old eyes. I used to bad talk GM so much for putting one on my last 86 civy unit. However, on the highway (or autobahn in your case), it is better. I just avoid highways like the plague. Too many nondrivers these days.

Another Ahab

That is funny. I use a trailer a lot and them convex mirrors stink for detailed visibility when backing up with my half a century old eyes. I used to bad talk GM so much for putting one on my last 86 civy unit. However, on the highway (or autobahn in your case), it is better. I just avoid highways like the plague. Too many nondrivers these days.
Give it 5 years; ten years at the most, and EVERYBODY will likely be a non-driver. It's wacky isn't it?

future.jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
......vent window gaskets replaced, cutted some gaskets for the vent window handles (the old one's are partially gone,LOL) and a little bit paint.....

Last edited:

cucvrus

hose washer.jpgI use hose washers on the wing window vent handles. They seem to last forever. I have a few green a few yellow black and red ones on different trucks. Easy fix and better then the old brittle plastic washers.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seat situation needed to change, and change fast. My wife, who loves the M1009, absolutely hates the seats. I found some subaru seats that would need about $200 worth of fitting and welding to make work, so I decided to cut my loses and go back to the wrecking yard and see what I could find.

I spotted some 1998 Chevy astrovan seats that didn't look too bad so I pulled the passenger seat out and while the height looked spot on, the bolts didn't line up. I got them anyway. The front bolts line up and I used the factory bolts to get the front down. The backs needed new holes drilled, and as much as I didn't want to do it, I added more holes to the body of my rust-free straight '09.

I backed up the new rear holes with some C-channel and a liberal application of anti-seize to the bolts.

OK, so if you want to replicate the project there's a couple things you should know. The astovan seats sit about a half to a full inch higher than "my" stockers (which are somewhat flattened). The driver's seat in its full aft position is just right for me, and I'm 5'8" tall. If you are taller you might need to drill four new holes per seat instead of only two.

The armrests are off in the pictures because I want new seat covers.

Please recommend some new covers. I don't want to spend $100 per seat for new covers, but they need something. I'm googling the crap out of the internet looking but if you know of something good and appropriate for a military truck, let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:

86m1028

Well, despite the fact that the truck has lost all oil pressure, that didn't stop me from finally getting 4 new Duratracs for the back. Now if only I could get my butt in gear and get the pan off and oil pump replaced, I would be good.
Are those 255's ? No clearance issues ? Spacers ?

Looks good !

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are 235s and they are a little close. Going to have to run 80psi to keep them that way. I originally wanted 255s and was going with the BFG Mud Terrains like I have on my ambulance but the reviews on these was stellar. Since we have snow here in tge mountains, I wanted at least one truck with a decent snow tire. These were it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks