• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cpf240

...I spotted some 1998 Chevy astrovan seats that didn't look too bad so I pulled the passenger seat out and while the height looked spot on, the bolts didn't line up. I got them anyway. The front bolts line up and I used the factory bolts to get the front down. The backs needed new holes drilled, and as much as I didn't want to do it, I added more holes to the body of my rust-free straight '09...
Are those the Astrovan seat bases or the M1009 seat bases? If Astrovan bases, could the seats have been moved to the M1009 seat bases?

86m1028

These are 235s and they are a little close. Going to have to run 80psi to keep them that way. I originally wanted 255s and was going with the BFG Mud Terrains like I have on my ambulance but the reviews on these was stellar. Since we have snow here in tge mountains, I wanted at least one truck with a decent snow tire. These were it.
So the reviews aren't that great on the bfg mt's ?
If I can ever get around to it, I'm planning on the 255's with a spacer (just like the dualed Cucv's) run.
Did you have any clearance issues with the 255's on the inner dual on the narrow axle ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the reviews aren't that great on the bfg mt's ?
If I can ever get around to it, I'm planning on the 255's with a spacer (just like the dualed Cucv's) run.
Did you have any clearance issues with the 255's on the inner dual on the narrow axle ?
Comparing the reviews I've read, the Duratrac is a better snow and wet road tire. Lots of folks in the plow forums use them. I ran 255s dualed on an 86 K30 I owned. There were the BFG mud terrains of the 80s. They worked fine and no rubbing. No spacers were used. I've not used them with a chassis cab axle but looks like they would fit. I imagine if they made a Duratrac 255, I would have bought them. I've had the Duratracs on the front for a while and like them very much.

Hal O'Peridol

Replaced PS pump, all hoses and clamps, new belts while I was at it.

Next is new speedo cable, finish installing front seats and center console out of 1996 Chevy half ton extended cab.

cucvrus

I imagine if they made a Duratrac 255, I would have bought them. I've had the Duratracs on the front for a while and like them very much.

I had 25585/R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT's on my M1028A1. They are only D range tires. They did not hit anywhere except the steering link when you made a hard right turn. I bought them once and done. I got them at a great deal and was not impressed with the mileage. I had the Goodyear Workhorse tires and they were much better. They were replaced with the Duratraks when the Workhorses were discontinued. All in all my favorite all around use tire. But in my business they last about 20 K. That I can deal with. The stones and off road use tend to tear up the tires. Snow plowing and dragging equipment out of mud and snow takes it's toll also. Have a great day.

cucvrus

Today i broke the back window on Voodoo M1009. Actually I did not break it a co worker did. It shattered into a million pieces. I called the glass company and they will be out to put a new one in on Monday. No use crying over a broken rear window. I would imagine thousands of them were broken in the life of these vehicles. Very poor design that the glass extends up past the gate edge when the window is fully retracted. It broke from a Stihl Weed Whacker pole hitting it. I was driving and picked up a co worker that was weed whacking and he put the Stihl in the back and we drove down the road and the explosion took place. We were off road on a rough area of field. We removed the cover and shop vacuumed all the glass diamonds from the inside of the gate. No harm no foul. This window was replaced about 5-6 years ago. Mine in my Crown of Thorns looks like a grinder was used on it at the center of the glass. The one that broke was perfect with no scratches. Can't say that anymore.
The rear window has been replaced with a new one. Total cost was $220. $150 for the glass and $70. labor. It is a new Pilkington Glass rear window. Shame it is a new one. But I am short on used rear glass for the M1009. It looks good and is back in use again. The man cleaned everything and installed it for this price. I am happy and ready for the day to begin.

Another Ahab

The rear window has been replaced with a new one. Total cost was $220. $150 for the glass and $70. labor. It is a new Pilkington Glass rear window. Shame it is a new one. But I am short on used rear glass for the M1009. It looks good and is back in use again. The man cleaned everything and installed it for this price. I am happy and ready for the day to begin.
You know, that seems reasonable.

It's not cheap, sure. But for a big piece of glass like that, tempered and everything, that sounds about right.

cucvrus

I have a broken/cracked transmission case on Big Red M1008. It has been messing ATF in the house for several months and I dropped it off at a transmission shop to get the flex plate changed and the transmission checked out. It has not been rebuilt in 5 years and after the winter we had here last year it was time to have a clean bill of health for the drive-line. I suspect the crack/break happened when the front drive shaft broke. I had several tons of salt bags in the bed and as I remember I was pushing snow and the drive shaft just broke from shear torque. The tires were connected to black top and 40" of heavy snow was being pushed and bang. That can send a shock wave severe enough to crack a transmission case. I have a transmission transfer case from an M1031 that I scrapped out a few years back. It only had 5200 miles on it but I will just take the transmission in and tell them to salvage the case. I would not just trust putting a 32 year old transmission in even if it were new in the box. Seals dry out and it is a waste of time IMHO. I will report back. I will post pictures of the scrap cracked/broken case. Have a great day.
The transmission has been rebuilt and the case welded. Also have a new shift valve installed. Drove it home from the shop today. It drives nice again. It must have been pulling out in second gear for a while because it seems to have more pull out power. Total bill in and out of the shop was $1600. That fixed it and it has all new parts inside. The torque converter is also new/rebuilt. Happy Happy. Done and back in service. Soon the snow will be falling and the plow will be dragging. As soon as I got back to the yard today I needed to pull a 10 wheel truck from a mud hole that was loaded with a 30 YD scrap steel dumpster. Break it in right away I did. Thanks for reading. Have a great Day.

CUCVLOVER

The transmission has been rebuilt and the case welded. Also have a new shift valve installed. Drove it home from the shop today. It drives nice again. It must have been pulling out in second gear for a while because it seems to have more pull out power. Total bill in and out of the shop was $1600. That fixed it and it has all new parts inside. The torque converter is also new/rebuilt. Happy Happy. Done and back in service. Soon the snow will be falling and the plow will be dragging. As soon as I got back to the yard today I needed to pull a 10 wheel truck from a mud hole that was loaded with a 30 YD scrap steel dumpster. Break it in right away I did. Thanks for reading. Have a great Day.
Work them hard and maintain it even harder! These trucks are not lawn ornaments they are built to work.

gottaluvit

Had the infamous metal to metal brake grind on my way to mow a couple places the other day. Funny thing is that I just told someone that I need to check the brakes on it and my VW soon before cold weather strikes. Missed it by that much (Adam Smart 1" finger gap)! Got the rotor turned for $15 and the lifetime pads cost $18 at the Zone. Gottaluv a $33 brake job, with even my error on checking on brakes sooner.
Got to test the brakes with a trailer on day before yesterday. Did a full pedal brake check and she stopped in about 50' at 55 mph on dry asphault with only two little chirps. I was impressed. Best brakes I ever had on a pickup. Usually they underperform or overperform locking up. And cucvlover, you are sure right on not having the truck as a lawn ornament. The grass never dies under my tires.

cucvrus

The average driver has a reaction time of 3/4 second. This accounts for an additional 60 feet traveled at 55 mph. Braking Distance is the distance it takes to stop once the brakes are applied. At 55 mph on dry pavement with good brakes, it can take a heavy vehicle about 170 feet and about 4 1/2 seconds to stop.

gottaluvit

Wow, crazy how many feet per second at 55 mph. Glad I was empty or I would have missed that turn off. I was BSing with my shotgun and not paying attention to where my turn off was. It took just a couple seconds. I need a dash cam. Them numbers really stress the importance of keeping a safe distance.

joeyaguirre21

So I have changed belts, tires, some rubber fuel lines, transmission pan gasket, engine air filter, oil and oil filter, fuel filter, CDR. Are 235/85R16 original size tires that CUCV came with? I also need to be replacing valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket, how much of a pain will the valve cover gaskets be to replace?

cucvrus

Personally I would take the intake off and injection pump off. This would eliminate bending the injection lines and make the job much nicer. Change the intake gaskets and the front main seal while you are at it. I tend to over maintain everything I own. But I keep them going and going. Do as you wish. But also change all 4 of the water gaskets up top. The rear ones and the front water manifold gaskets. Why NOT. You will be thankful. If you change the oil pan gasket change the rear main seal and the front timing and water pump gasket.

richingalveston

got to pull the injection lines, so you might as well do a lot of other things when you do. water pump, IP rebuild while your in there if you do not know the history.

it would really suck to put it back together and a month later you have to do the IP.

This is if funds are available. Once you remove them and put it back once, you can do it twice as fast the second time.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My alternator belt(s) started squealing like one of them had gotten loose so I popped the hood to have a look. The four year old belts seem tight but there are chunks missing out of one of them. I'll need to search the site for the alternate alternator belt; the one that's just a bit shorter than the listed stock belt as my alternator is all the way tight.

The power steering belt was VERY loose and I don't know how it didn't make itself apparent while turning the truck. :shrugs:

So it's parked until the weekend when I have time to get in there.

Wife LOVES the new seats though; much more supportive and lets her adjust the seat back angle where she wants it. :-D

kimco

Replaced the 2003 stock tires with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 31x10.50R15 109S C1 RWL $162 each.
Next item identify what is leaking into the cab onto the drivers side.

cucvrus

Replaced the 2003 stock tires with BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 31x10.50R15 109S C1 RWL $162 each.
Next item identify what is leaking into the cab onto the drivers side.
My guess on the leak is the hydra brake booster. that is an easy fix. You can buy a lifetime warranted one for less then $200. and you don't even need to bleed the brakes to replace it. Get a 15MM semi deep swivel head impact socket and a long extension and you are good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks