• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

What are you going to do with the 6.2.
From the green machine?
It currently on a pallet covered up. I had to give an alt to a friend to get his truck running. I'm going to eventually rebuild it and go through it. I believe the pump was just going again and I didn't have the want to do another IP at the time. I just kept throwing money at it and not getting long term results.

I plan to grow my cucv herd so I figured it will eventually either end up in a different cucv or back in the green machine.

You wanting it?

rustystud

I put a new steering dampener on and filled up the washer fluid on the green machine. Now to figure out why the sprayer pumps all the time when I turn on the whipers
The wiper motors on these model year trucks had a lot of problems. One being the sprayer pumps. At least yours works ! I'll turn mine on and a few minutes later it will start spraying !

gottaluvit

The wiper motors on these model year trucks had a lot of problems. One being the sprayer pumps. At least yours works ! I'll turn mine on and a few minutes later it will start spraying !
Had issues with every square body Chevy truck I ever had. I bought a rebuilt one once that lasted just a few days, so I concluded the design was a flawed idea. Currently my CUCV dont spray at all. Not like it ever sees the interstate and I don't tailgate anyone so I just deal with it. Maybe some day I will fix it.

cucvrus

I just keep using the warranty. They last a couple years and I lost track of which ones I changed and which ones I did't change. I now have 2 new ones from old parts. I put a brand new GM one on and it lasted a few weeks and washed endlessly. So I am not sure what the answer is. I am so good at changing them i only need a 10MM an 8MM and a 1/2" wrench. Change it out in the parking lot. I now have a switch bad in the column of Crown of Thorns M1009. I am going to put a wiper/washer switch in from a Freightliner. It has the wiper/wash symbol and is all in one. I am NEVER going to attempt to take another CUCV column apart to the wiper switch. The stock switch for the stock wipers was over $100. and buried deep in the column. That is my choice. I even tried on a couple scrap columns. The switch price and frustration are not cost effective. Have a great day. If they warranty it I will buy it. Changing it is easy. I have a couple tilt columns that I could put in but maybe NOT.

Last edited:

jpg

... Now to figure out why the sprayer pumps all the time when I turn on the whipers
https://youtu.be/0SS-11bTM34
I took a video of mine, above, when was trying to understand why it wouldn't pump.

The silver metal part toward the top of the frame has a "finger" that rides on the top of the rotating plastic part. When that finger is on top of the rotating plastic part, the silver metal part keeps the pump arm disengaged.

When you twist the control to engage the washer pump, an electromagnet energizes and lifts the silver metal part toward the top of the frame. In the video, every time the silver metal part rises toward the top of the frame, I'm twisting the control to energize the electromagnet. Sometimes I held the switch on for a while.

When the silver finger is not riding on the top of the rotating plastic part, this enables the the pump arm pawl to engage the ratchet teeth on the round rotating part, pumping fluid. When the electromagnet is energized, it holds the silver part out of the way and the pump pumps. If the electromagnet releases, the finger drops and rides a cam on the round rotating plastic part. That cam eventually lifts the finger on that silver metal part up to the top of the round rotating part, disengaging the pump arm pawl from the ratchet teeth. The arm then stays disengaged until you energize the electromagnet again, lifting the silver part again and starting the process over.

If you're always pumping, that silver metal part probably isn't disengaging the pump arm. Perhaps one of the springs involved has failed. A reman from AutoZone goes for short money.

My problem was dried out rubber seals in the pump. New seals and I was all set.

Last edited:

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I read all the stories from your wipermotors, i just can say that my AC Delco wipermotor works great for
1 1/2 year now....Not the cheapest, but it works.

Maybe I was just lucky.....LOL.

Jeeperjoe

ripped the whole dash apart, removed the instrument cluster, cleaning electrical connections, removing the black goo from the firewall connections scrubbing the **** out of everything then applying dialectic grease liberally... on a positive note ive pulled about 700' of wiring from the fire department, and i figured out why my gen 2 light wasnt working... its missing lol

FrankenCub

Last week on the way home from town I got a case of the death dance at 45mph. Got it slowed to 10 and went away, and right back at 15mph. Figured I was only a half mile from home and I would look at it later. Later came and as I rounded the corner looking at the truck I see the tie rod hanging to the ground lol. Yep, there seems to be a problem.
All new parts and all is well. Decided to stop by the lake for a decent picture before it's all under water.

20170226_121540.jpg
20170226_121602.jpg

machinist75

Installed a m1009 rear bumper onto the rear of my cucv burban an clone. Wasn't too bad, a lot of putting on and taking off to get the holes marked and drilled. Still needs to be adjusted a little bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

ripped the whole dash apart, removed the instrument cluster, cleaning electrical connections, removing the black goo from the firewall connections scrubbing the **** out of everything then applying dialectic grease liberally... on a positive note ive pulled about 700' of wiring from the fire department, and i figured out why my gen 2 light wasnt working... its missing lol
That sure explains it. :naner:

Another Ahab

I installed this sound system designed for motorcycles. I get all my audio off my phone and have just been using headphones when I drive my M1028 for years, but now my phone hooks in and I get good audio for everyone. It is all tucked up under the dash so nothing changes the look.
I never fully understood the concept of a sound system for motorcycles.

Headphones, maybe; I get that. But otherwise the concept seems misguided.

But I admit, I don't ride a bike anymore.

Chief_919

I never fully understood the concept of a sound system for motorcycles.

Headphones, maybe; I get that. But otherwise the concept seems misguided.

But I admit, I don't ride a bike anymore.
Me either.

But, I have had this same one in my CJ7 for a while and it works perfectly there, so I went with the same thing for my M1028.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks