• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ywgspotter

Finished a 26 hour road trip. Came up with a list of items to work on for the summer.

Begin surface rust repair and sections for paint.
Change out rear axle seals and wheel bearings possibly axle shafts
Pack front wheel bearings
Install new locking hubs
Fix driver side turn signal socket (slow flashing and dim)
New U-joints
Investigate lost coolant, possibly head gaskets or leak in cooling system
Flush the heater core
Change glowplugs
Rear window crank

Probably tons more I'm forgetting. So far I've installed new seatbelts, shift indicator, radio, CB and the doghead mod. So the list of things done isn't too large, which I kind of like being that the truck has been good to me so far. Especially after 26 hours of 70-75mph driving and me forgetting my differential fill plug right before that trip... :oops:

ywgspotter

Exactly, drove 15km with it out and blew diff fluid all over the tailgate and window. Diff seems fine but I may have overheated the wheel bearing on the passenger side hence the leak in the seal possibly. Drove 2600km+ so I would assume nothing major occurred since that incident.

RobM36A2

Have been prepping the M1028 for the trip to the UK.
War and Peace revival show in Beltring.

The belts always squeel a little while until the voltage meter goes all the way in the green.
Lubricated them with some candle wax, no more squeel, so me is happy.
Please note this is done with running engine, but still have all my fingers :p

Volvo740turbo

OK. What is a G80 and why will it explode? Or why do they explode? I had to ask. Someone is thanking you for this useful post and I am a bliss. NFG Fubarred as to what you are talking about.
The g80 is the locking mechanism in the rear diff, they explode when you floor it with one wheel on the pavement and one wheel in the mud, it's a low speed traction device (posi)
They work best when both the wheels are on the same terrain. I abused it and got what I deserved, since then I informed myself of the workings of it and now I k ow how to not blow them up

Mg84648

IMG_0886.jpgIMG_0887.jpg
Replaced my blower switch today. When I took it out it just fell apart. Note that it doesn't come with the chrome knob so I found one on eBay for $12, ouch!
Also installed some NOS seat covers I found on the same site. Now the interior smells like an old GP Medium, lol.image.jpg

cucvrus

View attachment 690941View attachment 690942
Replaced my blower switch today. When I took it out it just fell apart. Note that it doesn't come with the chrome knob so I found one on eBay for $12, ouch!
Also installed some NOS seat covers I found on the same site. Now the interior smells like an old GP Medium, lol.View attachment 690946
Should have PMed me on the Knob. I removed my knobs and put Pontiac ones on. They are black and bigger. Easier to get ahold of. The seat covers don't wear light colored pants. That stuff rubs off and the smell never goes away. I took mine out and gave them away. I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread till I went to go away and stained my pants from the canvas. The Wife hated them the smell never fades. Make sure the connections are tight on the plug to the fan switch. Good Luck.

Volvo740turbo

RobM36A2

Checked fluids, greased the steering joints, tightened the belts and put some candle wax on there.
Also put just a very little amount of grease on the pintle, where the trailer lunette touches.
If the grease is a big no-no, please inform me why.

Ready for the trip to the UK.

cucvrus

You do know the pintle has a grease fitting up under the rear bumper. And greasing the pintle will be fine. Make sure you have the lock pin in place while towing. I had a steel ring that I would drop in my pintle and it took up some of the slop so it did not bang as much. Good Luck. Have a great trip.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Replacing glow plugs with G60s. Just acquired 1008 through auction from Ft Riley and had some kind of brand called Wellman. Old one are all cooked. Surprising that engine would even start.

Without going through many threads which I will do anyway, and having a 82 K30 Silverado with 6.2 I have NEVER tried to revive a non functioning glow plug. I have an idea but maybe not possible, thoughts, attempts?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Replacing glow plugs with G60s. Just acquired 1008 through auction from Ft Riley and had some kind of brand called Wellman. Old one are all cooked. Surprising that engine would even start.

Without going through many threads which I will do anyway, and having a 82 K30 Silverado with 6.2 I have NEVER tried to revive a non functioning glow plug. I have an idea but maybe not possible, thoughts, attempts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks