• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Volvo740turbo

I'm jealous of that startup. I've been procrastinating on replacing my batteries.
My batteries are 5 years old, 1000 cca
When the starter starts to fail it will take longer to start o assure you, I'm on my second starter this year after the original ( rebuilt) had failed...the next aftermarket one I had warrantied because it broke in half. I hope this one lasts longer but it's a lifetime warranty part now

Volvo740turbo

I'm jealous of that startup. I've been procrastinating on replacing my batteries.
Replacing glow plugs with G60s. Just acquired 1008 through auction from Ft Riley and had some kind of brand called Wellman. Old one are all cooked. Surprising that engine would even start.

Without going through many threads which I will do anyway, and having a 82 K30 Silverado with 6.2 I have NEVER tried to revive a non functioning glow plug. I have an idea but maybe not possible, thoughts, attempts?
Is the gp selinoid functioning properly? You can try to slave start it to see

Volvo740turbo

Is the gp selinoid functioning properly? You can try to slave start it to see
My 24 to 12v resistor went out so I rewired it without the part and before it went it fried my gp relay I slave started it and it fired after 3 days of cranking only...i found the information here how to bypass it to test it then I went and bought a relay and it's fine now...the resistor tried to set fire and was smoking really bad when I noticed it

Ilikemtb999

My batteries are 5 years old, 1000 cca
When the starter starts to fail it will take longer to start o assure you, I'm on my second starter this year after the original ( rebuilt) had failed...the next aftermarket one I had warrantied because it broke in half. I hope this one lasts longer but it's a lifetime warranty part now
I've got a dying battery. Will not hold a charge. Everything else is in good working order.

Volvo740turbo

I've got a dying battery. Will not hold a charge. Everything else is in good working order.
Im not exactly sure what brand I have but I'd recommend to everyone, I'll post up the brand after I look but it will be tomorrow...if I remember correctly they didn't break the bank...and I'm kind of cheap lol .

I'll look tomorrow if you're interested...i did have one of my alternator rebuilt.within the last 5 years though

Paycheck

My 24 to 12v resistor went out so I rewired it without the part and before it went it fried my gp relay I slave started it and it fired after 3 days of cranking only...i found the information here how to bypass it to test it then I went and bought a relay and it's fine now...the resistor tried to set fire and was smoking really bad when I noticed it
What is the location of the resistor,thanks

rustystud

Replacing glow plugs with G60s. Just acquired 1008 through auction from Ft Riley and had some kind of brand called Wellman. Old one are all cooked. Surprising that engine would even start.

Without going through many threads which I will do anyway, and having a 82 K30 Silverado with 6.2 I have NEVER tried to revive a non functioning glow plug. I have an idea but maybe not possible, thoughts, attempts?
I've never heard of anyone really reviving a dead glow-plug. I've heard of "stories" that they said it worked but I have never seen it. Even if by some miracle you got it to work for a few more days, is that really worth all that effort ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have I done to mine? Well, moved them around the backyard. Been in GA a year, the ambulace was here 6 months before that. It hasn't been driven more than a few miles. Both trucks are trapped now. New garage construction has blocked them in.

Attachments

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I havenI done to mine? Well, moved them around the backyard. Been in GA a year, the ambulace was here 6 months before that. It hasn't been driven more than a few miles. Both trucks are trapped now. New garage construction has blocked them in.
Just build your garage with a door on both ends.

86m1028

What I havenI done to mine? Well, moved them around the backyard. Been in GA a year, the ambulace was here 6 months before that. It hasn't been driven more than a few miles. Both trucks are trapped now. New garage construction has blocked them in.
Im NOT alone !!!
I moved mine to mow...
I wish I could say mine are blocked by shop construction.
Mine are blocked by motivation, time, money & a couple of 5 tons !

Volvo740turbo

I've never heard of anyone really reviving a dead glow-plug. I've heard of "stories" that they said it worked but I have never seen it. Even if by some miracle you got it to work for a few more days, is that really worth all that effort ?
Glow plugs live in a harsh environment I thought mine went bad...this is how I fixed the problem...still have the same.glow plugs
https://youtu.be/OZYeDJQUE_E

Volvo740turbo

The end of this video might save you some.time and money, ....maybe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks