• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 10 or so years, today the bent tie rod on the M1008 got replaced. Had the parts for almost a year, so it was time.
How it got bent I never did figure out - even a GP forklift driver would be hard pressed to bend the rod in this fashion.DSCN0575[1].jpg

Should've looked at the replacement parts sooner. Luckily the tie rod end came off without a pickle fork so the old seal was still okay. Not sure how anyone thought that the new one that came in the box would work. DSCN0576[1].jpgAlso, the included castle nut was a very loose fit, so the old one was reused. And there was no Zerk fitting or cotter pin for the new one.
Already doubtful about the quality of these parts, it wasn't surprising that the top cap of the tie rod end started turning when tightening down the Zerk.

The new sleeve came with hardware...but Metric. That meant another couple of on-and-off the creeper for the correct socket and wrench. So much for saving time by not using the lift.

Another Ahab

The new sleeve came with hardware...but Metric. That meant another couple of on-and-off the creeper for the correct socket and wrench. So much for saving time by not using the lift.

Like how long will it finally take to make the Metric leap?!

It just makes no sense not to. Even the military has finally gotten the message.

Sure would help.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like how long will it finally take to make the Metric leap?! It just makes no sense not to. Even the military has finally gotten the message.
Sure would help.
If I wanted to use Metric tools, I'd work on my European cars...no, wait, those have standard fasteners. Except for a few Whitworth plugs.
Okay, I'd work on the Unimogs, which are mostly Metric.
I can probably learn to live with Metric again, it's the mix I can't stand.

computer54

No ,you only need the standard brake tools , that you can get from Craftsman or an Auto parts store. but when you change the rear break pads change the hardware too.

gottaluvit

After 10 or so years, today the bent tie rod on the M1008 got replaced. Had the parts for almost a year, so it was time.
How it got bent I never did figure out - even a GP forklift driver would be hard pressed to bend the rod in this fashion.View attachment 691898

Should've looked at the replacement parts sooner. Luckily the tie rod end came off without a pickle fork so the old seal was still okay. Not sure how anyone thought that the new one that came in the box would work. View attachment 691899Also, the included castle nut was a very loose fit, so the old one was reused. And there was no Zerk fitting or cotter pin for the new one.
Already doubtful about the quality of these parts, it wasn't surprising that the top cap of the tie rod end started turning when tightening down the Zerk.

Gonna guess on that bent rod. Most likely ran into a stump or boulder when off roading. I have bent them on two civy trucks over the years. Sometimes the weeds and high grass hide them well.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna guess on that bent rod. Most likely ran into a stump or boulder when off roading. I have bent them on two civy trucks over the years. Sometimes the weeds and high grass hide them well.
I'd agree with the stump or rock theory having seen and bent many tie rods that way. But in this case the bend is down, not back, as it would be from such an impact. The two photos show the tie rod in the same plane.
All I can think of to get such a bend is that either something like a long (and strong) lever was inserted between the axle tubing and tie rod, then pulled downward, or the tie rod was secured to the ground with a strap or something similar (there are no scratches or other marks, so it wasn't with a chain) and then the axle lifted upwards.

Of course, as I'm writing this another possible explanation comes to mind; that damage could occur if the right wheel was hit in front of the axle, and very hard. But without any other noticeable damage, that doesn't seem likely. Not that the other two scenarios make much sense.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's CUCV related achievement was to get rid of the useless black out light and install a cheap LED work light in its place.
If I can keep doing this, replacing or installing one or two parts per day on my vehicles, the garage would be much less cluttered by year 2058, or so. DSCN0579[2].jpgDSCN0578[1].jpg

LT67

Like how long will it finally take to make the Metric leap?!

It just makes no sense not to. Even the military has finally gotten the message.

Sure would help.
If I wanted to use Metric tools, I'd work on my European cars...no, wait, those have standard fasteners. Except for a few Whitworth plugs.
Okay, I'd work on the Unimogs, which are mostly Metric.
I can probably learn to live with Metric again, it's the mix I can't stand.
Ummmm, every bolt that I've had to take a wrench to so far on my 85 M1008 in the engine bay has been metric....

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummmm, every bolt that I've had to take a wrench to so far on my 85 M1008 in the engine bay has been metric....
So is the tie rod technically in the engine bay, or below it? Must be below since all the factory fasteners were SAE on my M1008.
And the batteries are definitely in the engine bay - with SAE fasteners on the clamps.

LT67

So is the tie rod technically in the engine bay, or below it? Must be below since all the factory fasteners were SAE on my M1008.
And the batteries are definitely in the engine bay - with SAE fasteners on the clamps.
I'm just surprised that so far anything I've touched on mine has been metric while everyone else is saying theirs is SAE. I'm a lil confused.. lol

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just surprised that so far anything I've touched on mine has been metric while everyone else is saying theirs is SAE. I'm a lil confused.. lol
If I were smart, I'd start using the Craftsman Universal socket and wrench sets. Then it wouldn't matter if the fasteners are Metric, SAE, square, or previously attacked with an adjustable wrench. Or I could work closer to the garage. That would also cut down on time spent walking to get the correct tools.
In reality, I'll stubbornly keep walking out to the vehicle armed with (what I thought was) the right wrenches and sockets, be that Metric or SAE.

rustystud

The 1980's where a confusing time in the vehicle world. Companies where having their power plants made in foreign countries like Mexico (Chevrolet) . Countries that had converted to or had already been on the metric system. So the tooling for these power plants was all metric. Plus there was the push from the government to convert to the metric system. Though the parts still made here in the good old U.S. of A. where still "standard" thread. So you got these hybrid vehicles with both standard and metric bolts and nuts. (Now of course metric is everywhere). I was forced to buy both standard and metric wrenches and sockets and allen wrenches. Thankfully the newer bolts like the "Torx" came in a "universal" size. Like T1 to T80 .
It was also frustrating working on these vehicles. Is it a 12mm, 1/2" (13mm) or a 14mm head ? After awhile you got pretty good at recognizing the size of bolt head.

rustystud

017.jpg019.jpg

Took my M1028 and towed the M105 trailer to Fort Lewis to pick-up my S-250-G shelter. I had 800 Ibs of potting soil in the bed to give my rear wheels some traction since there was no trailer brakes. The M1028 didn't come with air-brakes sadly :-( .
I know it was a tad unsafe, but that was the only way I could get the shelter home at this time. The deuce is not licensed right now.
The truck ran great until we left the base. Then it started to fart and cough and buck. The fuel filter was clogging. Replaced it when we got home.
Soldier "B" there helping is my son.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 692206View attachment 692207

Took my M1028 and towed the M105 trailer to Fort Lewis to pick-up my S-250-G shelter. I had 800 Ibs of potting soil in the bed to give my rear wheels some traction since there was no trailer brakes. The M1028 didn't come with air-brakes sadly :-( .
I know it was a tad unsafe, but that was the only way I could get the shelter home at this time. The deuce is not licensed right now.
The truck ran great until we left the base. Then it started to fart and cough and buck. The fuel filter was clogging. Replaced it when we got home.
Soldier "B" there helping is my son.
Nice... I saw those... One went for half the price of the other, I LOLd.... Glad someone local got it...

In the future, shoot me a PM or post a message on the PNW SS Facebook page....... Someone is always willing to help, and you were a stones throw from Williams oil filter in Tacoma...

cucvrus

downloadmost interesting man in the world..jpgMan Rustystud. You sure keep that back window clean. And the way you blended the window rubber into the paint looks like my new truck that has no window gasket. You may be onto something there.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's CUCV related accomplishment isn't applicable to a typical CUCV.
To keep from having to lug a mount and pintle hook to and from the M1008, I installed a permanent pintle hook.DSCN0582[1].jpg

While most everything involved (except me) was made in China, at least I did get to use 3/4-inch tools...not 19 mm. That felt good. As did getting more stuff off the garage floor and onto a vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks