• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

......on short view Dot 3 is cheaper........but on the Long run, don't forget Dot 3 must be exchanged every 2-3 years! It's a Safety thing.
Dot 5 last longer.
When "everything" on your brakesystem is new (Everything that comes into contact with brake fluid) you can change to Dot 3.
........I would not do it.
What he said !!!! Also Dot 3 has an affinity for water, meaning it will absorb it and allow rust to form in your system. Dot 5 repels water, and also lubricates the rubber parts like the seals !
I see I should have read all the posts before replying. Someoldmoose already said what I just said .

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Back from a week in the UK.
The M1028 towed my trailer like a champ, just a bit slower at getting up to cruising speed of 53/54 mph.
When I got of the boat into the UK, there was a big incline to take on the highway, so a little more go-pedal and kickdown was used.
That was the time I noticed some oily/burning/melting smell in the cab. But, still on the incline, I pushed tru and the first opportunity I got, pulled over and checked everything.
Nothing to smell anymore, everything seemed normal, so continued to the show at my cruising speed of 53/54.
Next day at the show, checked eng. oil, was good. Trans. oil was looking a bit orange and starting to smell bad, so that is the likely culprit.
I did drive around on site, but no smell and without the trailer pulled great.
On the way home there were also some steep inclines, but did not have the nasty smell inside the cab.
And I will get the tranny fluid and filter changed at the next time I do maintenance, didn't do that last time, because of the nice color of the fluid it had. That will teach me not to change the fluids every year.

Overall, the M1028 performed great and in the 460+ mile round trip used virtually no oil.
Don't know about the fuel usage, don't even care. Got there and back on 90 litres or so..

Some pics for attention:
W&P 2017 001.jpg W&P 2017 006.jpg W&P 2017 015.jpg W&P 2017 061.jpg W&P 2017 092.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just back from two week vacation and the list of things to do is long.

Today I'm removing the radiator from my M1008A1.
Will take it to a shop and see if it can be saved.
If not, then a new one gets installed.

Hopefully the cooler lines will come out easily.
Ive sprayed penetrant on them a few times knowing this repair/replace was coming.

Fingers crossed

cucvrus

Just be patient and use a 3/4" - 19 MM line wrench I have only ruined them when I had others to fall back on. I could almost save every one from this point forward. I washed my engine down while you were gone. Good Luck. I just installed the new plastic aluminum model radiator in my m1008 project. you have a lot of catching up to do. Welcome back.

cucvrus

Painting outside is fine. I painted several outside. I painted many in my barn. With one door open and 1 fan running. I have great success outside as long as the weather holds out. I am going to get an 8 hour paint job on another one of my M1009's this year. I looked at my Crown of Thorns m1009 and it needs some paint attention. I just done one in 686 Tan in less then 7 hours and it came out excellent. it even held up to the pressure washer. My Crown of Thorns m1009 could use some body work and has a few bullet holes in it. But that is fine. A new 3 color woodland camouflage job with hide all the dents and holes. It is a work horse NOT a show piece. I have a new truck and a Cadillac that shines when I want perfection. Your paint looks good and protects the metal. My Terminus M1009 looks better then some CUCV's I see as daily drivers. Terminus M1009 is all one color and flat tan. Painted outside start to finish in 7 hours. Have a great day. Get the brown and black on. Use MAK as a thinner. The MEK will dry to fast and make nasty dry edges. Is that water base or solvent based paint?

ywgspotter

Painting outside is fine. I painted several outside. I painted many in my barn. With one door open and 1 fan running. I have great success outside as long as the weather holds out. I am going to get an 8 hour paint job on another one of my M1009's this year. I looked at my Crown of Thorns m1009 and it needs some paint attention. I just done one in 686 Tan in less then 7 hours and it came out excellent. it even held up to the pressure washer. My Crown of Thorns m1009 could use some body work and has a few bullet holes in it. But that is fine. A new 3 color woodland camouflage job with hide all the dents and holes. It is a work horse NOT a show piece. I have a new truck and a Cadillac that shines when I want perfection. Your paint looks good and protects the metal. My Terminus M1009 looks better then some CUCV's I see as daily drivers. Terminus M1009 is all one color and flat tan. Painted outside start to finish in 7 hours. Have a great day. Get the brown and black on. Use MAK as a thinner. The MEK will dry to fast and make nasty dry edges. Is that water base or solvent based paint?
Waterbased paint, Behr Marquee paint from Home Depot. So far it's been doing a pretty nice job with the paint gun.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be patient and use a 3/4" - 19 MM line wrench I have only ruined them when I had others to fall back on. I could almost save every one from this point forward. I washed my engine down while you were gone. Good Luck. I just installed the new plastic aluminum model radiator in my m1008 project. you have a lot of catching up to do. Welcome back.
Thanks!
Bought a 2000 GMC savana conversion van for the trip.
My wife and I, two teenage girls, son home from college and two dogs.
8 states and 4K miles.
No interstates driven where possible. All back roads.
Elevation from sea level (beach) to 11,000 (Rockies).
Was a absolute wonderful trip.
Van was very very comfortable for everyone. Worth every penny.

Now back to reality.......

Radiator removal begins.

3jumpjeep

Back from a week in the UK.
The M1028 towed my trailer like a champ, just a bit slower at getting up to cruising speed of 53/54 mph.
When I got of the boat into the UK, there was a big incline to take on the highway, so a little more go-pedal and kickdown was used.
That was the time I noticed some oily/burning/melting smell in the cab. But, still on the incline, I pushed tru and the first opportunity I got, pulled over and checked everything.
Nothing to smell anymore, everything seemed normal, so continued to the show at my cruising speed of 53/54.
Next day at the show, checked eng. oil, was good. Trans. oil was looking a bit orange and starting to smell bad, so that is the likely culprit.
I did drive around on site, but no smell and without the trailer pulled great.
On the way home there were also some steep inclines, but did not have the nasty smell inside the cab.
And I will get the tranny fluid and filter changed at the next time I do maintenance, didn't do that last time, because of the nice color of the fluid it had. That will teach me not to change the fluids every year.

Overall, the M1028 performed great and in the 460+ mile round trip used virtually no oil.
Don't know about the fuel usage, don't even care. Got there and back on 90 litres or so..

Some pics for attention:
View attachment 692766 View attachment 692767 View attachment 692768 View attachment 692769 View attachment 692770
First modification I made to my '86 1028A2 was the addition of an additional transmission cooler mounted behind the radiator. No issues in 3 years/10k miles mostly towing a 5th wheel camper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

First modification I made to my '86 1028A2 was the addition of an additional transmission cooler mounted behind the radiator. No issues in 3 years/10k miles mostly towing a 5th wheel camper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Where did you mount the A/C condenser? When you say behind the radiator. Are you referring towards the engine?

ywgspotter

How does that hold up to sticks and stones? Pressure washer/car wash? And what do you use as a sealer/primer?
I have no idea yet, apparently it takes a long time to fully cure. It seems quite soft so far. And I did as many others did and just applied over prexisting CARC and on areas with bare metal self etching primer. Trial run I suppose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks