• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Volvo740turbo

That's to bad you don't have a good shop to take your truck to. There are plenty of those crappy transmission shops out here to, but there are also plenty of good shops here to. You just have to look around. I usually find the good shops are a hole in the wall place with a single owner/operator running it.
99% of shops are not in it to be your friend...but it's best to have friends that work in or have their own shop..i was dealer technician at a local volvo dealer and it was pretty much a used car lot mentality....i had to get out...

85CUCVtom

I replaced my transmission mounts and the steering stabilizer on the Blazer today. I was surprised at how easy the trans mounts came out and went back in. Like a breeze! I fought with the inside-most stud on the steering stabilizer, the bottom nut just wouldn't come off, it came off with a cutting wheel though. Judging by how bad the mounts were, I'm thinking I'm gonna do my engine mounts and sway bar bushing next. Shocks will soon follow.

Look how rotted the trans mounts were! They were soft as a sponge.

IMG_3581.jpg

Here are the part numbers if anybody else needs them. I picked them up from Summit Racing. Perfect fit. You need TWO of each part. I think it was under $15 for all of it.

IMG_3578.jpg

I even broke a pipe wrench in the process! Lesson learned, don't buy cheap Chinese pipe wrenches at Harbor Freight, next time I'll stick to to Rigid.

IMG_3582.jpg

Last edited:

Bighorn

Added a water temperature gauge to my M1009.
Took the threaded plug out of the water pump (passenger side) and installed the bulb there.
Almost no water comes out if you leave the radiator cap in place so i did it with everything full.
Of course I had to run the gauge tubing first through the mounting bracket, firewall, over the valve cover, and down the front of the block to the water pump.
I used the diagnostic plug bracket to hold the 2" gauge.
Fits perfectly.
Wired up the gauge light to the dash lights.
Yes, it is technically measuring water that is returning from the bottom of the radiator.
But when it gets up to temperature it reads almost the same.
This way i still have the stock high temp idiot light functional.
Interesting to see the exact moment the thermostat lets loose.
You can see the temp drop.

Emily went off the mountain today and got the mail.
Have my Fluidamper Harmonic balancer and a removal/ install tool along with a new crank seal.
A set of AC 60 G glow plugs was waiting for me in the mail too.
Time to pull that radiator and get it boiled out.

Still waiting for driveshaft u-joint to match up the 12 bolt rear axle I plan to swap.
Gonna stick with the M1009's NP208 slip yoke driveshaft but convert the rear u-joint to 3R by 1330.
Have a Yukon 1330 pinion yoke for the 12 bolt coming in the mail.
The front driveshaft is 1310 on both the 10bolt and my Dana 44 I plan to swap in so that is a direct fit.
I'll go from 3.08 to 3.73 and from 31 inch tires to 33 inch tires.
The whole swap will put my gear ratio about 10% steeper.
And I get the benefit of the lockers and Yukon axle shafts I already have in the Dana 44 and 12 bolt.
Along with all new ball joint and brakes I had put in this year.

Ordered a rebuilt Injection Pump from Oregon Diesel to replace my leaky pump.
The leak ain't bad but I just don't like the idea of facing winter in Wyoming with a weak link.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

I replaced my transmission mounts and the steering stabilizer on the Blazer today. I was surprised at how easy the trans mounts came out and went back in. Like a breeze! I fought with the inside-most stud on the steering stabilizer, the bottom nut just wouldn't come off, it came off with a cutting wheel though. Judging by how bad the mounts were, I'm thinking I'm gonna do my engine mounts and sway bar bushing next. Shocks will soon follow.

Look how rotted the trans mounts were! They were soft as a sponge.

View attachment 696366

Here are the part numbers if anybody else needs them. I picked them up from Summit Racing. Perfect fit. You need TWO of each part. I think it was under $15 for all of it.

View attachment 696367

I even broke a pipe wrench in the process! Lesson learned, don't buy cheap Chinese pipe wrenches at Harbor Freight, next time I'll stick to to Rigid.

View attachment 696368

That pipe wrench has a lifetime warranty....just sayin

iacucv

Ok guys, it's 11:30pm here, I've been wrenching since 7 and I have to get to bed for work early tomorrow. I just swapped out my steering gear box in the m1009. Old one had a big dead spot and was getting sketchy on the highway. Went pretty good with what I had to work with, all my good stuff is at work. Got it all together, no leaks, lost maybe 2oz of PS fluid, threw the front axle on jack stands and went lock to lock about 20 times to bleed the system. I'm not very familiar with the hydra boost system on these trucks, but seemed to have enough fluid it wasn't sucking air.

so after the 20 lock to locks, it seemed stiff in the middle. Decided to see what it would do on the tires, maybe just a new stiff gearbox. I have no power steering and brakes went to the floor. What did I screw up here guys? Thanks in advance, I'm an idiot.

rustystud

99% of shops are not in it to be your friend...but it's best to have friends that work in or have their own shop..i was dealer technician at a local volvo dealer and it was pretty much a used car lot mentality....i had to get out...
I wouldn't say that. Having worked as a mechanic for 40 years, I've worked at some pretty good shops. Some not so, but most pretty good. Also my best friend since high school (we went to trade school together also) owns his own shop and treats his customers like friends. I would just stay away from the "big" company owned shops. At those places it's all about the bottom line. How much did you make this month. That's why I would go to the "hole in the wall" shop with cars parked all around. You know their good because of all the customers and the crappy looking shop tells you they are not in it to make tons of money off their customers but to provide a good service and still make a living.

85CUCVtom

That pipe wrench has a lifetime warranty....just sayin
I'll probably exchange it. I don't particularly enjoy going to Harbor Freight. I'm a staunch believer in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I try to buy the best tools I can afford- even some I can't. Harbor Freight has it's place though. I did paint my truck with a $15 paint gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesgrizzlyadams

Tried to mount the starter support today and the bracket does not line up with the gear reduction starter...do i need one for the 6.5 for this to be a thing? This is the last step for my truck to be 100% again ( besides my mess I have in the truck) I'm pretty unsure aboit a bracket...does a parts house carry these things?
this one worked for me... switched to a 12v gear reduction starter on my '86 M1010 and the old bracket didn't fit. This one worked great:

GM 23502557 Starter Bracket

Last edited:

Bighorn

Had this happen on a Dodge once after replacing ps pump.
Had a tiny leak at the o-ring seal where pumo met reservoir.
Is your fluid foamy?
My guess is a leak at the return line.
It can suck air without a leak being evident.
If your fluid stays foamy you got a leak somewhere.

Last edited:

Bighorn

You might check the fluid in the reservoir first before you start the truck.
See if it is free of bubbles.
Then run the truck with the cap off the res but don't turn the steering wheel yet.
Just observe if the fluid fills up with foam.
Hope that is all it is and it is easy to find and fix.

Another Ahab

I'll probably exchange it. I don't particularly enjoy going to Harbor Freight. I'm a staunch believer in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I try to buy the best tools I can afford- even some I can't. Harbor Freight has it's place though. I did paint my truck with a $15 paint gun.
That's the first I've heard of the expression. It's good.

I agree, get the best. Do it the first time, and you never have to visit the issue ever again.

iacucv

Well i went at it, tightened a hose clamp that was my first suspect. Regained power steering and brakes. Seem to be about back to normal, ps fluid runs clear at rest while idling, however has slight aeration after running lock to lock. Is this normal, or is it still cleaning out some nooks and crannies? Thank you bighorn!

Bighorn

Probably just clearing out residual air.
Takes a long time to get it all out after getting that much air in the system.
Keep an eye on it though. Maybe that return line hose needs a second clamp or isn't sealing up.
Sounds like you are on the right track though.
Congrats!

FrankenCub

I agree, get the best. Do it the first time, and you never have to visit the issue ever again.
That quot is thrown around on a firearms forum on all the time that I belong to, and for good reason. For the majority of parts/tools. There's times you can't afford something to fail.
I still get cheap at times lol.

rustystud

My father used to say that all the time. He told me to buy the best "tool/product" etc. that I could afford. It would pay for itself over the years. That's why I would only buy "Snap-On" tools for decades. Now I will buy some cheap Harbor Freight stuff for something I know I will only need to use once or twice. At my age I don't expect to wear out some oddball wrench or other specialty tool, so I cannot justify the cost of "Snap-On" anymore.
Actually I have bought several of the new impact wrench guns from Harbor Freight. The new "Earthquake XT" model. They hired several of the design engineers from "Ingersoll Rand" to come-up with this new model. They work great !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks