• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ballencd

I sold mine and I miss it! The kids needed more room so I went with a Suburban instead but I miss the simplicity and the diesel smell. I guess I could pour a cup of diesel in the floor of the Suburban.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct now

I like the green and need to know where you got the paint because my truck is tan and I mite look into changing it to green.
Well, hate to spoil it for some, but I've worked with this stuff for 20 years now and happy to do it! Check out the Behr sites! That's a good ole coat of Home Depot Behr Paint!

I like the Green better than the Tan as well. Good luck!

Rick

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1471CC49-E156-4734-9273-CB1181869744.jpg
Installed new starter
One on truck was turning slower and slower.
Starter has been on truck since I bought it from GP and it was new(ish).
Replaced solenoid when first got truck. Been great.

Thought it was battery’s at first, but the Hawkers tested and load tested just fine.
Both alternators good.
Wiring all good and physically checked.
GPs are new and GP relay is new also.
Thought maybe GP card at first when it was still turing over decent. Just wouldn’t start hot.
SS member AntennaClimber sold and sent me two new ones. Turns out I don't need them right now. Spares!!

When truck would barely turnover, slaved to the 5 ton, I figured the starter.
Great to have a spare starter on hand.

Sure enough, it was starter.
Installed new one.
Wow!!
It spins engine over faster than I ever remember.

Reading the TM troubleshooting and old threads helped, as always.

Will take old starter to shop for rebuild.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you have any particular plans with the truck.......... I'm just curious
Hello, Sorry it took so long to respond, I think I over looked your question! We are bringing it back to Army Standards, less the RED CROSS Panels! Then we plan to use it to sleep in at some of the Vehicle shows we attend locally!

On a side note, I knew Frankfurt well, I spent 3 years there in the early 70's, and married in Gelnhausen and spend a year there as a local! Loved it back then!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on my 87 V30 (CUCV twist coming) brake system. I was stunned to see someone blew a hole in the rear backing plate with a torch. Thankfully, it was the same backing plate that was nearly worn through where the shoes contact it. New backing plates don't exist so a quick call to Hillbilly Wizard and got one (and a set of CUCV lockouts) on the way. The truck is getting all new hoses, linings calipers, wheel cylinders, spring kit, master cylinder and the steel line from the combo valve to the rear axle. I did this on the SECM when I did the dually swap.

DREDnot

Added a 4" cold air intake tube. Summit parts.

DSCN2916.jpg

DSCN2908.jpg

DSCN2911.jpg

DSCN2915.jpg

Made a better drink holder. My fav water thermos wont fit these stupid square cup holders.
Haven't found a fire extinguisher I like for the mount spot, so I fabbed up a little tray out of 16g stainless.
Some psa foam in the bottom and some leather pads to preclude rattling of the thermos.

DSCN2927.jpg

DSCN2887.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the tray by itself.
Very handy.

Add the ammo can and it would just fill up with stuff. For me at least.

chief1983

How did you rotate the battery? New tray? From summit? I heard the civilian tray can be used to do that, it's been on my todo for a while. Be nice to have emissions inspections stop harassing me for not having the tubing on an emissions exempt vehicle.

cucvrus

It was only emissions exempt while the Department of defense owned it. After that is must be compliant. The sticker on the core support of the m1009 clearly out lines that. It civilian life it is a 1984-1987 Chevrolet station wagon. Not an emissions exempt truck. I have my inspection license. The diesel is exempt from emissions testing in Pennsylvania.

chief1983

I knew a smart aleck would comment on that line lol. They have passed it every time they call and confer with MOHP Troop C though. I think what passes it is that it was not built with the cold air tubing, same as the license plate lights, so in MO it passes without them. I will eventually add both anyway though, I think. Working on a combo spare tire carrier/gas can carrier/license plate frame mount location at the moment, one that can be built for around $300-500 without any welding required, depending on how cheap you can get steel tubing. We'll see if it holds up at all though.

DREDnot

How did you rotate the battery? New tray? From summit? I heard the civilian tray can be used to do that, it's been on my todo for a while.
The battery situation is how I got it from the P.O.
The trays are original. The P.O. cut away most of the original huge hold down top brackets to just those two strips with some inner tube rubber isolators. They hold pretty good so I haven't messed with them...yet.

DSCN2901.jpg

cucvrus

I knew a smart aleck would comment on that line lol. They have passed it every time they call and confer with MOHP Troop C though. I think what passes it is that it was not built with the cold air tubing, same as the license plate lights, so in MO it passes without them. I will eventually add both anyway though, I think. Working on a combo spare tire carrier/gas can carrier/license plate frame mount location at the moment, one that can be built for around $300-500 without any welding required, depending on how cheap you can get steel tubing. We'll see if it holds up at all though.
OK so that gets me an insult for stating the fact. OK explain how that works? And why would an intake of fresh air duct work into the engine have anything to do with emissions? Emissions come out the tailpipe. I am open for schooling cause I don't know everything. Emissions are an exiting gas not an inductive air. And I still require license lamps as per the DMV. Helps keep me on the road and not pulled over. Ever have one of them things that every police officer wants to decipher if its legal or not. I avoid any of them issues. I comply. Easier all around for all involved. Fog lights, lift kit heights, Bumper heights, exhaust. All gray areas and every PD has different rules. Tinted windows is a huge money maker. So not a wise guy.

chief1983

No need to take it as an insult, just kidding around. But there are two inspections I get in MO. Safety and emissions. At this point emissions is usually a check engine like and equipment existence check, used to have to hook up to a smog meter but diesels were exempt from that anyway. So, the intake air temperature can affect combustion, which can affect emissions, hence, intake equipment falls under emissions inspection here, apparently. It's certainly not safety related :p

And yeah, the truck isn't my daily, but it's been driven quite a bit in the last seven years with a plate held on by bailing wire, and a lot of that at night, and no stops yet. But I do plan to fix that soon, as stated. Looking for a bracket I can attach to a 2x2 steel channel with builtin lights that I can wire into my custom tow harness somehow.

sandcobra164

Good PMCS, new wiper blades, topped off the charge on the hawker batteries, filled with diesel, quick wash, interior detail and it's Leesburg Christmas Parade ready. Didn't get to take it to Durhamtown this year so it's annual freshening up was delayed. It's hard to believe I've had this for over 7 years now. It only has 7,368 original miles on it.

Attachments

DREDnot

OK explain how that works? And why would an intake of fresh air duct work into the engine have anything to do with emissions? Emissions come out the tailpipe. I am open for schooling cause I don't know everything. Emissions are an exiting gas not an inductive air. .
Some states/localities require a visual inspection of emissions equipment. The cold air duct and the early fuel evaporation (EFE) systems that are usually incorporated into the intake do affect emissions and are an easy fail if it looks like its missing. All cucvs look like the intake ducts are missing and most testing goobers dont know that thats how they came. Ive been failed on the visual for a missing hot air pipe to the filter box. They wouldn't even continue to the sniffer test.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

FrankenCub

Installed new starter
One on truck was turning slower and slower.
Starter has been on truck since I bought it from GP and it was new(ish).
Replaced solenoid when first got truck. Been great.

Thought it was battery’s at first, but the Hawkers tested and load tested just fine.
Both alternators good.
Wiring all good and physically checked.
GPs are new and GP relay is new also.
Thought maybe GP card at first when it was still turing over decent. Just wouldn’t start hot.
SS member AntennaClimber sold and sent me two new ones. Turns out I don't need them right now. Spares!!

When truck would barely turnover, slaved to the 5 ton, I figured the starter.
Great to have a spare starter on hand.

Sure enough, it was starter.
Installed new one.
Wow!!
It spins engine over faster than I ever remember.

Reading the TM troubleshooting and old threads helped, as always.

Will take old starter to shop for rebuild.
This is my next project. Went to town today to drop off my inspection ticket to please the revenuers and when I came back out the starter would just clunk. The solenoid energizes but the starter doesn't turn. Look like it'll be down for at least a week by time I get a starter in. NAPA wants $300 by time they get it shipped to them and AdvanceAuto doesn't seem to know what a 24v starter is. EvilBAY it is I guess......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks