• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the exact reason why I had a brand new (not rebuilt) Starter on the shelf in my shop.
Have a brand new alternator too, along with quite a few other new spare parts.
I might still have to walk if it quits, but won’t have to wait for parts.

Edit
I usually buy my parts online, unless I need it right away.
Easier and cheaper.
Just bought more tonight for my parts stock.

Last edited:

Beandip

about a month back i installed my atlas 4 speed transfer case. the lowest ratio is 10.34:1 and with high idle at 800 rpm the brakes cant hold the truck back with it just in drive. i know this truck kinda differs than what most people do with them on this site.

new 42* cv from high angle drivline. i needed it since i clocked the transfer case close to flat.

12" of slip too. just so if i stretch the front and 4 link it i will be good.

modified the crossmember for that massive 5" CV.

waiting on some plastic end caps but the skid plate is built. all 3/16".

looks like a lot of ground clearance lost, but now i can slide over rocks if needed.

gave it a good test at the washed out areas at a near by lake. that 10.34:1 ratio is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cos0LhHNd0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqB7ji1iV90&t=8s

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is a purpose built truck. Great execution and the front drive slide in the video was excellent.

cucvrus

Fish head.jpg
The wait is the biggest problem right now. Any other time of the year I could have dealt with it, it's deer season here...I need my tuck!! lol
I didn't see any PM's in my box. I have them on the shelf. I would have been quick to help out. And contrary to what others think. Rebuilds are just as good or better then new. I see the man every week that rebuilds all mine. Not sure but we all know where new things come from now a days. The Mainland. No border fish head town. Mainland. HA. Happy Holidays.

Beandip

Thanks, That front dig option is great. i played with it a few times and the truck can definitely turn sharp if you put the e brake on and throw it in front wheel drive. i will say between the doubler and hydro steer, cutting the bed down definitely made a huge improvement on the trucks performance.

FrankenCub

I didn't see any PM's in my box. I have them on the shelf. I would have been quick to help out. And contrary to what others think. Rebuilds are just as good or better then new. I see the man every week that rebuilds all mine. Not sure but we all know where new things come from now a days. The Mainland. No border fish head town. Mainland. HA. Happy Holidays.
Knowing you have tons of parts completely slipped my mind :( It set my whole day off, was supposed to be out paying bills till that happened. Was still in a foul mood till today when I finally got the truck towed home and pulled the starter. The armature is set up. I may pull it apart next month to see just what is gone and pick up a rebuild kit for it then shelve it.
I had already ordered a replacement last night, and the bracket that always seems to be missing.
Sure would have been faster to pay a visit to you! Oh well, it is what it is :)

Mg84648

I just finished replacing all four shocks, small potatoes I know but huge difference in ride. I honestly had no idea they were that bad. When I got the old ones off, all of them collapsed with little effort and only slightly more resistance to extend them. The only issue was the usual drivers side rear upper pin and nut because its above the tank. Nothing a 12inch extension and half inch breaker couldn't handle.
I used Gabriel Proguard 61516 upfront and 61524 in the rear. Best hour and a half I've spent on that truck in a while!

cucvrus

DSCF4272.jpgI say it's time to jack up the cab and change the frame bushings. And while your at it the muffler bearings and smoke shifter need greased real good. Happy Holidays.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a little trick for those servicing the brakes on a 14 bolt. I'm always concerned about dry bearings when I pull a full float hub. Greasing can be a challenge with the way the outer bearing is situated. I use a needle on my grease gun to inject some grease between the rollers of the bearings. Both are easily accessed from the outer hub..

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF4292.jpgDSCF4291.jpg
Rick, do you recommend 2-stroke grease for the smoke shifter? I think mine needs some attention.....
Heck no you have to get the real 2 stroke / quadra-trac grease. Anything else will cause the tailpipes to smoke excessively during cold starts. My smoke shifter was stuck shut for 10 years and I just opened it up. Big 5" ones. WOW. They take lots of grease and oil. Happy Holidays.

computer54

This is my next project. Went to town today to drop off my inspection ticket to please the revenuers and when I came back out the starter would just clunk. The solenoid energizes but the starter doesn't turn. Look like it'll be down for at least a week by time I get a starter in. NAPA wants $300 by time they get it shipped to them and AdvanceAuto doesn't seem to know what a 24v starter is. EvilBAY it is I guess......
Try Amazon they have one .

computer54

about a month back i installed my atlas 4 speed transfer case. the lowest ratio is 10.34:1 and with high idle at 800 rpm the brakes cant hold the truck back with it just in drive. i know this truck kinda differs than what most people do with them on this site.
new 42* cv from high angle drivline. i needed it since i clocked the transfer case close to flat.
12" of slip too. just so if i stretch the front and 4 link it i will be good.
modified the crossmember for that massive 5" CV.
waiting on some plastic end caps but the skid plate is built. all 3/16".
looks like a lot of ground clearance lost, but now i can slide over rocks if needed.
gave it a good test at the washed out areas at a near by lake. that 10.34:1 ratio is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cos0LhHNd0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqB7ji1iV90&t=8s
What are you going to the old transfer case, I mite need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks