• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep on eye on eBay.
I found two NOS factory GM ones on there last year.
My first M1008A1 had new GM installed when I picked it up at Ft. Hood

Seller actually had more and I posted info (not a link) on SS and they All sold that day.
I should have bought them all but didn’t want to be greedy.
If you do find one, it will be pricy.

Best solution would be to have one made as recommended in the link already provided.
Looks like a very well made cable that actually fits and works.

Volvo740turbo

So yet again my cucv killed anither starter....installed the warrany starter and it failed within a few minutes....less than 1 minute of spread out cranking....is it just my truck that eats these like candy or are they just so cheaply made they dont last? Usually 2 or 3 months has been the average starter life for me...all cables are tight, bracket is installed and they pretty much perform flawlessly...until they dont. Im really wuick at changing them now and i keep tell8nf the parts guys its the starter going bad and nit my truck killing them due to ither issues. Are they just all junk? Its the gear reductiin starter from autozone. The starter will not work at 12v only 24v will get it to actuate so im certian they arw not handing me 12v starters. Is it easier to jist convert the truck to 12v ? Or is the 12v gear reduced starter as big of piece of junk as the 24v? ..

All comments are welcome and tha ks in advance

rsh4364

With my first 1009 back in 2012 I also ran through the 24V cheap gear reduction starters.I assumed since I also installed optima red tops my batteries were great,they were not. I never checked voltage. After 4 starters in a few years I started checking battery volts,they were so low I'm surprised motor even turned over. On my current 1009 I run 24v dd starter, installed a batt.solargizer and monitor battery voltage .I also added more grounds from motor to neg. buss bar,1-0 gauge from motor to buss,1-0 from frame to buss,8ga from core support to frame,8ga from drivers alternator to motor and frame. All has been good on this 1009.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

With my first 1009 back in 2012 I also ran through the 24V cheap gear reduction starters.I assumed since I also installed optima red tops my batteries were great,they were not. I never checked voltage. After 4 starters in a few years I started checking battery volts,they were so low I'm surprised motor even turned over. On my current 1009 I run 24v dd starter, installed a batt.solargizer and monitor battery voltage .I also added more grounds from motor to neg. buss bar,1-0 gauge from motor to buss,1-0 from frame to buss,8ga from core support to frame,8ga from drivers alternator to motor and frame. All has been good on this 1009.
I have a dash mounted digital volt guage so i can easily read the voltage...battery power hasn't ever really been a problem....the dealership want $671 for an oem starter....so ill just keep burning up these junk autozone ones eith lifetime warranties i guess

cucvrus

I mentioned the extra grounds on a CUCV a few years back and was made a fool of. But just keep in mind. Voltage is not the issue many times. It is amperage that kills the starters. You can have great voltage and kill starters on a monthly basis. The batteries need to be load tested and kept fresh and up to power on the amperage side. I have my Crown of Thorns M1009 with the same batteries since 2010. No extras for charging and no block heater. They are bad now and it is sitting on the wood lot loaded with wood on the trailer and with dead batteries for over a week. I have a new set of 6TL's that are going in as soon as the mood hits me. My Terminus M1009 starts first time every time. Saturday morning -3*F glowed and fired right up. Half an hour with the slave cables plugged into Crown of Thorns no happiness. Left it set and split more wood. Ever sweat at 0*? Split wood heats you twice or three times. Not sure about that Terminus M1009 vehicle. Reminds me of Christine in a way. Just keeps going. Last time out trail riding I was the failure with the 4 snow tires being 4 ply. Rocks sliced and diced them. Now for the rest of the story. Load test the batteries and stop blaming everything on Autozone parts. I know a lot of people are using them. They are all basically the same NAPA/Rock Auto/Parts Geek/AC Delco/ Dorman in different packaging. If it fits and get's the job done use it. I have to get back to snow plowing. I am driving the new truck. Mucho better. I am getting old. The younger guys drive the CUCV's now. Have a great day and stay warm.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So yet again my cucv killed anither starter....installed the warrany starter and it failed within a few minutes....less than 1 minute of spread out cranking....is it just my truck that eats these like candy or are they just so cheaply made they dont last? Usually 2 or 3 months has been the average starter life for me...all cables are tight, bracket is installed and they pretty much perform flawlessly...until they dont. Im really wuick at changing them now and i keep tell8nf the parts guys its the starter going bad and nit my truck killing them due to ither issues. Are they just all junk? Its the gear reductiin starter from autozone. The starter will not work at 12v only 24v will get it to actuate so im certian they arw not handing me 12v starters. Is it easier to jist convert the truck to 12v ? Or is the 12v gear reduced starter as big of piece of junk as the 24v? ..

All comments are welcome and tha ks in advance
Try to find an ACDELCO remanufactured 24 volt direct drive starter. ACDELCO starter reman by ACDELCO. If you can not find one buy a good used one and have it remanufactured by a reputable starter shop. These are available on ebay at times. Sometimes you can buy a reman gov surplus starter that is good.

I always go with ACDELCO electrical components if available.

Double check your batteries with load tester and check all connections and grounds. Always replace batteries in matched pairs.

rsh4364

My 5 year old edelbrock shocks finally died suddenly with the cold weather, figured I'd upgrade to bilstein shocks. Summit had the best price, but autozone actually matches prices.Saved me 60$ on a set of two for fronts.Now I have to get financially creative so I can order the rears as I am currently laid off.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

I mentioned the extra grounds on a CUCV a few years back and was made a fool of. But just keep in mind. Voltage is not the issue many times. It is amperage that kills the starters. You can have great voltage and kill starters on a monthly basis. The batteries need to be load tested and kept fresh and up to power on the amperage side. I have my Crown of Thorns M1009 with the same batteries since 2010. No extras for charging and no block heater. They are bad now and it is sitting on the wood lot loaded with wood on the trailer and with dead batteries for over a week. I have a new set of 6TL's that are going in as soon as the mood hits me. My Terminus M1009 starts first time every time. Saturday morning -3*F glowed and fired right up. Half an hour with the slave cables plugged into Crown of Thorns no happiness. Left it set and split more wood. Ever sweat at 0*? Split wood heats you twice or three times. Not sure about that Terminus M1009 vehicle. Reminds me of Christine in a way. Just keeps going. Last time out trail riding I was the failure with the 4 snow tires being 4 ply. Rocks sliced and diced them. Now for the rest of the story. Load test the batteries and stop blaming everything on Autozone parts. I know a lot of people are using them. They are all basically the same NAPA/Rock Auto/Parts Geek/AC Delco/ Dorman in different packaging. If it fits and get's the job done use it. I have to get back to snow plowing. I am driving the new truck. Mucho better. I am getting old. The younger guys drive the CUCV's now. Have a great day and stay warm.
I have added extra grounds months ago thinking that would help...installed the new starter and it fired up no problem..went the extra mile and changed the battery posts and terminals after i warmed the truck up a bit

Volvo740turbo

Try to find an ACDELCO remanufactured 24 volt direct drive starter. ACDELCO starter reman by ACDELCO. If you can not find one buy a good used one and have it remanufactured by a reputable starter shop. These are available on ebay at times. Sometimes you can buy a reman gov surplus starter that is good.

I always go with ACDELCO electrical components if available.

Double check your batteries with load tester and check all connections and grounds. Always replace batteries in matched pairs.
My oem starter lasted almost a year after rebuild..but it was very costly...the dealer wants $671 for a new one...almost seems worth it....almost...

cucvrus

I just picked up a 28MT CUCV starter from the rebuilder. It was rebuilt for $150.
Solenoid 24 V 28MT $48.
Drive $23.63
Brush $11.52
Brush $11.52
Stop Collar $3.06
Bushing $2.46
Labor $42.

Can't beat that with a stick. It was on the truck for 3 years and would have still been on had someone put the metric support bolt in the block in lieu of the 5/16" they tried to transplant there. It was wobbly and twisting the bolts. It still started. Sounded like trouble. But easier then it looked.

Leidy Starter and Alternator
2427 South 5th Avenue
Lebanon PA 17042
717 769-2283

Good people. They have rebuilt starters to the military vehicle at the local base. Indiantown Gap. They have done hundreds of alternators and starters for me over the past 25 years. They stock these starters for CUCV be it 24 volt or 12 volt. No lifetime warranty. I never needed one. They hold up well. Have a great day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My SECM has a $150 gear reduction starter from eBay. It's been on there for 5 years or better without issue. My old 91 burb with a 6.2 had a similar 12V gear reduction unit. I find no issue with them. I have a CME rebuilt 28MT on the shelf just in case one quits. Thanks Swiss.

cucvrus

My SECM has a $150 gear reduction starter from eBay. It's been on there for 5 years or better without issue. My old 91 burb with a 6.2 had a similar 12V gear reduction unit. I find no issue with them. I have a CME rebuilt 28MT on the shelf just in case one quits. Thanks Swiss.
I agree. There are too many different scenarios to gauge starter life on. I heard guys cranking CUCV's for 5 minutes straight in the morning and have to start it 3 times and think that's normal. Its cold out they say. Wrong. That is hard on everything and reduces the best starters to junk in a very short time. Many things must be operating as designed to make everything last as designed. I had over 100K on my M1009 before I ever removed the original starter. I do keep up on batteries and glow plugs along with a regular maintenance schedule. Over Maintain comes to mind. The starter is the weakest link in the system and takes the most beating and abuse. Bound to fail when other issues control the out come of a running engine. Have a great day. If it's too cold for the CUCV. Give it a rest for the day. The cold is only temporary.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind that some rebuild shops might replace just one failed part and the starter will work for a while. I believe this to be the main cause of some rebuilt starters only working for a short time. Sometimes you get lucky and one will work a long time. Every component needs to be checked for a remanufactured one. If the shop doesn't have all the proper equipment for this you are getting a rebuilt starter. If the fields and armature are checked to be ok and ALL the other parts are replaced with quality parts then you are getting a remanufactured starter. This is the way an ACDELCO remanufactured starter goes out.

In nearly 50 years I have experienced only one ACDELCO reman starter not work when installed. I believe it had gotten wet in the box on the shelf and had some rust in it. It was quickly replaced by the dealer for another that worked fine.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilt or remanufactured is always a gamble. My '68 Nova had eight carbs on it before the parts counter guy finally told me I could get a new one for only $20 more (in 1981ish). It got to where I could swap them out with my eyes closed.

When I was flying Starlifters we would sometimes be off-station and lose a CSD (constant speed drive- sort of like an automatic transmission installed backwards; it took the variable jet engine speed and provided a constant RPM to run the generators. Each of the four engines had one CSD and 60KVA generator. If there was a problem with the generator, we had a switch at the engineer's station that could mechanically decouple the CDS drive shaft from the gearbox; only resettable on the ground. C-130s do not have this feature so if a gen gets wonky, they have to shut the engine down.) Anyway, off-station maintenance would order a new CSD, install it, and discover it was no better than the one they took off. We sometimes suspected the overhaul people just repainted the bad ones and sent them back out.

rsh4364

Advanced ip timing and installed bilstein front shocks then got rained out. Article blast should be here tomorrow afternoon. Glad I got something done. Artic Blast ! !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks