• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Chaski

Rob,
Maybe start a new thread? Kinda sounds like the controller card lost it’s mind.

Worked on a friends 1008. He is the kind of person that can destroy an anvil with a cotton ball. His rig has had drivers side camber issues for a long time, most likely from an encounter with a stump. A couple years ago he replaced the lower kingpin bearing, the seal, upper kingpin, bushing, seal and spring on both sides. This made things a whole lot better, but the drivers side still had a noticeable amount of negative camber. Finally got around to installing a tapered spindle shim to correct it. Kind of a strange fix, the shims are some sort of glass impregnated plastic. Installed a 7/8 of a degree shim. Now both sides are right around +.5 degree. We’ll see how it holds up.
60CEC906-7BAF-4E15-8D19-1FC066D2560A.jpgAC4F319F-074B-4DE7-B0A1-2C9BCBC9FD9D.jpg

rustystud

Rob,
Maybe start a new thread? Kinda sounds like the controller card lost it’s mind.

Worked on a friends 1008. He is the kind of person that can destroy an anvil with a cotton ball. His rig has had drivers side camber issues for a long time, most likely from an encounter with a stump. A couple years ago he replaced the lower kingpin bearing, the seal, upper kingpin, bushing, seal and spring on both sides. This made things a whole lot better, but the drivers side still had a noticeable amount of negative camber. Finally got around to installing a tapered spindle shim to correct it. Kind of a strange fix, the shims are some sort of glass impregnated plastic. Installed a 7/8 of a degree shim. Now both sides are right around +.5 degree. We’ll see how it holds up.
View attachment 716921View attachment 716922

The industry has used those types of shims for over 40 years now to correct Camber in 4X4 trucks. I prefer the "Stainless Steel" shims myself. The axles themselves can get bent and instead of trying to get the bend out just slap on one of those shims in. The last time I used one was to fix my 1979 IHC Scouts steering problem.

RumRunner742

Swapped front spindles and axle from the donor truck. The 63" cab and chassis axle kept the tires under the box, but the inboard tire would contact the box floor support. Full span Dana 70 next.

20180128_171049.jpg20180128_171705.jpg20180128_164813.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapped front spindles and axle from the donor truck. The 63" cab and chassis axle kept the tires under the box, but the inboard tire would contact the box floor support. Full span Dana 70 next.

View attachment 717075View attachment 717076View attachment 717074
That rail on the ambulance box is in my way as well. I did the. CC swap on my SECM and notched the similarr rail on it. I've lost interest in my ambulance and if I ever get unlazy, it will show up in the classifieds.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Would it be easier to install an Arrow Craft dual wheel adapters set? Just asking. I installed a set on an M1028 plow truck when I put a salt spreader on back. It turned out as not so handy with the duals and the wider rear stance. I removed the kit and went back to singles. I was using the truck as wash truck during summer months with a 500 gallon water tank on back and a diesel powered pressure washer. That too has gone by the way side. Just an idea. Much less work.

Merddin

Tgp(ill)
Nicem37! My dad has a 53 model. He bought it from a farm and it was chickensxxt yellow. He has it almost 100% original again. He even has troop seats and the rear canvas.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I watched a man that never 4 wheeled before climb a power line in an M1010. It was very stable and if it were a dually in would not have went the places the single wheeled vehicles went. I think the intention is if the front fits the back will follow. Made is KISS that way. I can only imagine the sides of the M1010 and M1031 if they were dual. Smashed and bashed. Seems like that is what I see on a lot of dual bed sides I fix. I did a conversion on a spreader truck and went back. The military did testing and decided the single was the way to go. Gordy at Mark Body Company told me that. He was the owner of Mark Body Company in Imlay City MI. Have a great day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched a man that never 4 wheeled before climb a power line in an M1010. It was very stable and if it were a dually in would not have went the places the single wheeled vehicles went. I think the intention is if the front fits the back will follow. Made is KISS that way. I can only imagine the sides of the M1010 and M1031 if they were dual. Smashed and bashed. Seems like that is what I see on a lot of dual bed sides I fix. I did a conversion on a spreader truck and went back. The military did testing and decided the single was the way to go. Gordy at Mark Body Company told me that. He was the owner of Mark Body Company in Imlay City MI. Have a great day.
In which case, I've got the best of both worlds.

Attachments

RumRunner742

The narrow 14 bolt keep the tires within the width of the box. The problem I've run into is the bottom support for the box itself doesn't allow for the inside dual since it was originally a single wheel set up. I'm hesitant to cut on the box since the beam is structural. If anyone has a Dana 70 laying around with 4.56's let me know.

20180131_155341.jpg20180131_155436.jpg

rustystud

Well according to "Diesel World" it is a forgone conclusion that dual rear wheels will help traction on any truck. That is why all the big trucks run duals now. From sled pulling to off-roading.

View attachment Scan0245.pdf

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the oil yesterday.
Been gone flying quite a bit lately and was having CUCV withdrawals.
3 weeks is a long time!

M1008A1 fired right up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks