• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive my M1008A1 daily with few exceptions.
I’m 59.1 miles from the 100k milestone on it.
Gremilins gone but, of course, maintenance is never ending. As with anything mechanical.

Just back from New Mexico and turned 409k (yes, 409,000) on my stock 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax.
Only thing I’ve replaced on that truck is two sets of glow plugs and an alternator. Besides windshield and tires, shocks.
Have all new GM fuel injection hoses (expensive little suckers) to replace very soon.

I am diligent about fluid and filter changes on all my vehicles and machinery.

Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Chevybrit

So...my trans is leaking fluid from the front pump seal and or input shaft seal the trans operates normally when fluid os at level...trans shop quoted me 750 to pull it reseal it and install it..my question is what are the thoughts of double8ng the cost to have it rebuild instead of the obvious issues, i feel that changing tje seals is really all i need done honestly..any thoughts?
Rebuild it yourself its very straight forward

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Maintenance, exercise of the seals, which I believe is movement of the engine and drivetrain if so equipped. Fluid additives I think are also necessary with the age of some of the equipment in that todays fluids do not have the required properties needed for protection. Zinc, sulfur important especially for diesels. Rubber, neoprene, with its own inherent problems.

I have a lot of equipment and regular use might mean to me running temps then shutdown, or a lap around town. If you have to let it set then a preemptive measure needs to be employed. Molybdenum is a very good protector of moving parts.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing like a frame off restoration to fix the IP. :grin:
That's is exactly what happened. It all started with " I'll just change the IP, injectors and return lines."

Next thing I remember the cab was off, and the transmission was at the re-builders. Now the engine is going to get rebuilt. A second fuel tank showed up and Auto Zone keeps sending me parts that I forgot I ordered.

Actually this truck is being restored for the 2019 MVPA Convoy. The idea is to make it as reliable as possible and replace all of the items that simply go bad after 30 years.

cucvrus

DSCF7646.jpgDSCF7603.jpgNo cheating. Frame off is frame off. Not rolling chassis.
Do it now you will never be that far again. DSCF4247.jpgDSCF4245.jpgYou already done the hard part. May I suggest new springs. you will be thankful you did.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go with an upgraded engine crossmember, now would be good. I'm still struggling with how I'm gonna do that with the engine in.

cucvrus

If you go with an upgraded engine crossmember, now would be good. I'm still struggling with how I'm gonna do that with the engine in.
Sky crane. I put an engine in a CUCV with a tree limb. Helped a guy out of state because he asked me for some help. But if you unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine you should be able to torch the rivets off and get the cross member out. I would just pull the engine and reseal everything and make to part of the task. No time like the present when opportunity presents itself. Have a great day and Good Luck.

sneekyeye

I bought a corvette fuel line s hose recently and installed that and a new fuel pump on the 1028. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day after the last three weekends of rain around here.
IMAG0785.jpgIMAG0784.jpgIMAG0783.jpg

I replaced the nearly foot long hose that was on it with the new one, and it looks to me like it'll work good. No rubbing on the fuel pump and no leaks for now.

I took my sway bar off in the hopes of replacing the end bushings but my bushings are nowhere to be found.

cucvrus

I took my sway bar off in the hopes of replacing the end bushings but my bushings are nowhere to be found.
The can be purchased at Autozone. Energy suspension ones. Burn or cut the old ones out. It is a 1 1/4" sway bar. You want the part number?

Energy Suspension Part# 3.5118G

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Can't beat the price, and 31s will do the job.

But what kind of posts are those? I've never seen those before.
Stud posts, basically just a 3/8" threaded post. They are a lot more common on big rigs. They sell adapters to convert them to a "regular" post, almost the same as the adapters they sell to convert side terminal to a post.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a corvette fuel line s hose recently and installed that and a new fuel pump on the 1028. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day after the last three weekends of rain around here.
View attachment 719221View attachment 719222View attachment 719223
I replaced the nearly foot long hose that was on it with the new one, and it looks to me like it'll work good. No rubbing on the fuel pump and no leaks for now.I took my sway bar off in the hopes of replacing the end bushings but my bushings are nowhere to be found.
If that new preformed vette Hose worked, you have a part number?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks