• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[/QUOTE]
I understand about chinese crap completely! But for a non moving part I wouldn't worry about it. I go to great lengths to avoid aftermarket Chinese, Mexican etc parts as well. It just depends on what it is. Your next bet is go to local salvage yard and try to find a used one. To be honest most will be about like the one you had. I would look at passenger doors because they had less use. My dad got the Doorman ones from Rock Auto for his 1008 and they look great. And he is as anti aftermarket as you can get, very much a purist. Rock Auto wants 8.25$ for the strikers, just checked. I am going to buy a pair because they have the nylon bushing on them too. I think I'll get hinge bushings while I'm at it for 2$. Good luck![/QUOTE]

cucvrus is fixing me up on a good set.

The wear pattern on the strikers is very common I know.
Every one I've seen at the salvage yard is way worse than mine.
Most are gone.

I know the Dormans, etc will work just fine.
Just prefer original if I can find it.
Luckily I did thanks to cuxvrus.

Merddin

There are some NOS ones as a pair for 40$ on eBay. Outrageous! I'd go with cucvrus pair too. I did call GM to see if they could find any. No dealers had one near me in SE MO. The part number is 9601750.

Merddin

Going to replace my possibly original back shocks with some Monroe gas magnums. If my mom ever gets here to watch my young son.
Yesterday got my replacement driver door stripped down to the shell after removing window and moldings and regulators and door handle. Have to do some minor body work on door and get the thing ready to be painted along with the whole truck.

Merddin

By the way I did get original thermostat and trans filter kit from GM. It can be worth checking on some general items. Hope you have a good parts guy and ask them to do a parts locator of dealer inventories.

Bighorn

Since my exile;
I have replaced all 8 glow plugs.
Installed a new reproduction original style glow plug controller card WITHOUT after glow feature.
Installed a front receiver hitch; Warn model 25855 so I can mount my Warn winch front or rear, along with solenoid isolated wiring to the front and rear.
Rebuilt both 27SI alternators.
Converted the truck to 12 volt.
Installed a 12 volt motor onto the gear reduction housing of my starter.
Replaced the volt meter with a 12 volt version.

Yeah, I know; "I am lost in the woods.. on my own.. up the creek" because I converted to 12 volts.
Spare me.
Now my winch uses both batteries and the starter turns the motor over just like it always did.

rustystud

Since my exile;
I have replaced all 8 glow plugs.
Installed a new reproduction original style glow plug controller card WITHOUT after glow feature.
Installed a front receiver hitch; Warn model 25855 so I can mount my Warn winch front or rear, along with solenoid isolated wiring to the front and rear.
Rebuilt both 27SI alternators.
Converted the truck to 12 volt.
Installed a 12 volt motor onto the gear reduction housing of my starter.
Replaced the volt meter with a 12 volt version.

Yeah, I know; "I am lost in the woods.. on my own.. up the creek" because I converted to 12 volts.
Spare me.
Now my winch uses both batteries and the starter turns the motor over just like it always did.
Don't worry. I tore out my whole electrical system and installed a standard 12 volt harness. Of course I also removed the 6.2 diesel and replaced it with a 383 Hi-Torque gas motor. Best mod I ever did for the truck ! So much more power !
Of course it really isn't a CUCV anymore.

cucvrus

Of course it really isn't a CUCV anymore.

Once a CUCV always a CUCV. Same applies to you Rustystud. You know where I am going. As hacked up as I seen these poor trucks. You only made a few updates and improvements. And it is still the genuine thing. Not some wanna be CUCV. I just saw a Ford 1997 F250 with a CUCV brush guard, front bumper, stacks, troop seats, and rear bumper. Looked bad. Real bad. Worst then the 1976 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 4 x 2 that is posted on facebook wearing all the CUCV stuff. Wasn't able to shutter bug it. I became instantly ill. Have a great day.

MarcusOReallyus

don't worry. I tore out my whole electrical system and installed a standard 12 volt harness. Of course i also removed the 6.2 diesel and replaced it with a 383 hi-torque gas motor. Best mod i ever did for the truck ! So much more power !
Of course it really isn't a cucv anymore.

HERETIC!!!

:mrgreen:

:beer:

Why the 383? Torque? Had one available?

Bighorn

That is one thing I won't be doing; replacing the motor.
I dig the 6.2.
Already have a K5 with a 400 small block.
Sure power is fun.
But wheeling at low speed with the diesel burbling along.. priceless.
Also, my gas k5 gets 10 mpg dowhill with a tail wind.. even in perfect tune.
My m1009 gets 17 at altitude.
No denying the 6.2 is an efficient bugger.

rsh4364

That is one thing I won't be doing; replacing the motor.
I dig the 6.2.
Already have a K5 with a 400 small block.
Sure power is fun.
But wheeling at low speed with the diesel burbling along.. priceless.
Also, my gas k5 gets 10 mpg dowhill with a tail wind.. even in perfect tune.
My m1009 gets 17 at altitude.
No denying the 6.2 is an efficient bugger.
Definitely a fuel sipper, my 85 1009 with 3.08 gears got 19mpg at 65-70, and 22mpg at 55. My 86 1009 with 4.56 gears gets 15mpg at 65-70mph. And 17-18 at 55-60. My 86 has a newer motor 400+psi per cylinder. 85 1009 200k miles.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
poly motor mounts & ORD X-member

That....was...a...lot...of...work, with the engine in. It wasn't technically difficult, its just that with a fully functional vehicle there is a lot of stuff you can't get to. Got it done in less than a day, but would have been way easier w/out the front axle in place. Glad its done as I can now take out some lift (CG management) and still have room for the high steer hardware.
xmember.jpgbits.jpgnew bits.jpg

Last edited:

Merddin

Went to start and nothing. Got second set of batteries and tried hooking up. Sparks! Something is staying on and draining batteries. Unhooked GP relay and no Sparks on battery. I guess it was stuck closed. Getting new Napa st85GP relay today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks