• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to start and nothing. Got second set of batteries and tried hooking up. Sparks! Something is staying on and draining batteries. Unhooked GP relay and no Sparks on battery. I guess it was stuck closed. Getting new Napa st85GP relay today.
If you don’t already have one, get a good digital multimeter.
You will use it often.

Merddin

I have a multimeter and use it often. I don't know what I would do without it.

Just remembered Napa is closed on sunday, so now I am drinking beer and looking out the window at the 1008!

FrankenCub

I have a multimeter and use it often. I don't know what I would do without it.

Just remembered Napa is closed on sunday, so now I am drinking beer and looking out the window at the 1008!
I've all new brake parts for my 1008 and went to call NAPA today to see how many of my fingers they'll need to turn the drums and realized it was Sunday. Called them yesterday at 4pm and remembered they close early. Gotta get my crap together aua

Hillwalker

Finally got my new Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive in the mail WOOHOO!! Cant wait to start the install. Since my turbo was installed, my truck has been begging for more gears. Running out of upgrades to do. But, its all been really fun!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Congrats Hillwalker, Enjoy every minute of install, fabrication ahead. I have to look around the forum and see if someone has done a trans doubler. But that is the very kit I would like to try. Good Luck!:p

Hillwalker

Thanks! Im pretty sure theres no real fabrication. Only the driveshaft shortened. Looks like theres a lot of room underneath. Some people have had to bang out some sheet metal but I dont think so on this. The rest is all bolt up and wire. Pretty impressive packaging and instructions and everything so far. Theyre not heavy on communication compared to what Im used to. But very solid when it comes down to it. Reminds me of old school mail order days. Be patient and its Christmas via U.P.S. :lol:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Well you could try a salvage outfit for your shaft, or have one built. But I would save the take off parts, driveshaft. Good thing there are still plenty of parts around, unless you live in the rust belt.

sneekyeye

I just finished up replacing the drag link tie rods and the upper kingpin bushings on the 1028. The driver side upper kingpin bushing was cracked into two pieces. The one on the passenger side was fine.
The new springs were about 5mm taller than the old ones.

Hopefully this will eliminate the death wobble I encountered with my sway bar off.

LT67

Fixed two very annoying vibrating noises at idle: air cleaner top and the fuel tank shield were slightly loose. Has anyone ever noticed the 6.2 is loud... lol.

Also had to fix a reoccurring fuel line leak on an injector. Hopefully cleaning all of the grime off helped seal it for good....

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed two very annoying vibrating noises at idle: air cleaner top and the fuel tank shield were slightly loose. Has anyone ever noticed the 6.2 is loud... lol.

Also had to fix a reoccurring fuel line leak on an injector. Hopefully cleaning all of the grime off helped seal it for good....
Dump some TCw3 in the tank....

Bighorn

I hit a sharp rock while wheeling on BLM land.
Cut the sidewall of my BFG mud terrain.
Wyoming is brutal to trucks.

So i bought 2 brand new 33x10.5x15 BFG All Terrain ko tires and had them installed on the original m1009 rims instead of the cheap set.
I like them so much I have ordered 2 more for the rear.
Hey, at least now I have a full sized spare.

LT67

I hit a sharp rock while wheeling on BLM land.
Cut the sidewall of my BFG mud terrain.
Wyoming is brutal to trucks.

So i bought 2 brand new 33x10.5x15 BFG All Terrain ko tires and had them installed on the original m1009 rims instead of the cheap set.
I like them so much I have ordered 2 more for the rear.
Hey, at least now I have a full sized spare.
I ran BFG KM2 33x10.5x15 on a 74 K10. Not much noise on the road and never an issue off road. I rolled them over plenty of rocks without getting a flat tire.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rolling over something is completely different that hitting something with a sidewall.

I have had the BFGs A/T and was a great tire.
Been running Michelin’s now for years.
Never an issue

Hit a piece of steel on sidewall (driving slower than walking pace) that I could have rolled over easily without trouble.
Sliced it open and ruined tire.
Small piece of angle iron that was hidden in grass.
Had ran over it many times and didn’t know it.

Tires just aren’t built, for obvious reasons, to handle extreme trauma on the sidewall.

I know the specialty off-road tires for rock climbing are much better, but still not as strong as the steel and poly belts for the regular part of tire.

Bighorn

It was my fault.
My 6.2 runs so good, it makes me mash the go pedal sometimes.
I saw the rock ahead and decided against flipping the truck to avoid it.
"Poof" came the rush of air.
"Flop. Flop. Flop"
Yea, i killed that tire dead.
Dinged my cheap steel rim too.
So i am putting the stock steel rims back on with new AT's.
I vow to never drive fast in the dirt again (until the next time)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks