• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

woody127

cucv23.jpgI've ordered a set of LED headlights for my M1009, just a little concerned about the old wiring harness. Read a few places that the heat from the LED's can burn the wires. Anyone done this before? guessing someone has, and I'm not the first one. Just couldn't find anything here dealing with the conversation. Guildance on this would be great.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LED lights draw significantly less power and produce significantly less heat. So little heat, in fact, that most will not produce enough to melt ice/snow from headlights while driving.

Worry not.

Whoever told you LED lights will heat up/burn wires are $%&$%% idiots and should be ignored.

Please link to the lights you bought, so I can tell you if you did a good job or not.. :p

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have those. They're junk. No ability to aim the beam, it's a flood that blinds people and doesn't put a lot of light on the road.

They have knockoff Trucklite models, you'd be MUCH better served with those, and have a more OEM look.

Either of these would be a MUCH better option....

NOT Auction links, per site rules.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-Headlight-Headlamp-Wrangler-Replacement/dp/B074LT5B1M

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Headlamp-Headlight-Wrangler-6053(2Pcs)/dp/B07BWBRDJ5/

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been reading thru this thread and came across post 4512 where NovacaineFix posted a exploded view of the Pintel hitch as part of a discussion to the fact the hitch actually pivots. I thought "gee I never checked for a zerk fitting" and while it was not on the top of the housing as indicated in the exploded view it was indeed there accessible from underneath the bumper (maybe installed upside down or maybe it doesn't matter). Greased it up and it moves freely now, used a lube called Boesheild on the pintle "C" and it went from moving with soft face hammer "assist" to the spring latch actually working and easy movement by hand. I have also used Boeshield on a stubborn door lock that I could no longer put a key into, let alone turn it, to working so smoothly I decided not to replace it after all. Regardless I appreciate all the collective wisdom on this site, sure saves me a lot of time having to make all the mistakes on my own, not to mention a lot more cost effective.

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmmm. Yes, there does seem to be somehting missing, but I can't quite put my finger on it......

Say, does that skid steer in the background have forks on it? Is that so you can give the truck the govliquidation treatment and bend the driveshaft once you get it all done?

:D

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have those. They're junk. No ability to aim the beam, it's a flood that blinds people and doesn't put a lot of light on the road.
Would they be good for rock lights, in your opinion? I did not think much of rock lights until I saw them in use: they are for the spotter, not the driver! Duh.

Strych9x1

Just dropping by to let you know, that I ended up doing exactly what you said to do here. Only I kept my original driveshafts, and just needed the adapter U-joints.
No way ill have time for the tranny and transfer-case this year. before winter. The military pickup dana 60 (kingpin axle) and 14 bolt GM are now under my m1009. It almost looks like my original drives shafts might not of fit, had my truck not been lifted 4 inches. But as it is, they fit fine with a u-joint change.
Already took it out into some mountain trails over some steep hills and rocky trail roads that I would of never attempted with my old gear ratio and tires. Definitely a huge off-road improvement.

RobM36A2

Moved my glowplug button to a better place, now I can reach it without groping under the dash.
Also did some towing jobs for a friend. Had a lot of fun and a lot of angry drivers thinking I went to slow. Didn't care, Had fun.
After that built in a new switch and control light for my foglights, now I can flash (down) or steady on (up).

My new VDO voltmeter came in the mail today, so going to tackle that tomorrow.
If that doesn't help, going to check the relay next. Maybe not the right sequence, but meh..
I'll find out soon enough if the leads are hot or not :whistle:

Enjoy the pics.

GMC towbar.jpg Flat towing a GMC.jpg Towing M105.jpg Fog light Switch.jpg

KI4FKW

Finished installing my Retrosound radio (destroyed the shafts on the last attempt and had to order replacements), wired my slave port up.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to reading this thread I finally understand when I replaced the starter in my M1009, I was unable to install the starter bracket. I replaced the direct drive starter with a gear reduction starter and the brackets are different. I ordered the correct bracket, bought a little hardware in town and was able to install the bracket when it arrived in the mail. I have broken starter bolts on my GMC K3500 with a 6.5 TD because the bracket was missing so that one was taken care of as well. I have 85,000 miles on the M1009 and it is pretty much my daily driver. I tried the 12 volt conversion but switched back and have been very happy that I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks