• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished up this project that will make someone's dream come true. This winch model M1078 had a bad engine so I gave it another Cat but from an MTV. With 290 horses under the hood (cab?) and 16.00's it will move. When the turbo spools it puts your butt in the seat. It was painted, doors rebuilt, etc so I'm overly pleased to see complete.

View attachment 900465
If only the spaced the rear axles further apart on the 6x6 versions, we could put the same tires on those!

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
interesting well in measuring the axle spacing on my m1083 unloaded and seeing that the 16.00r20s appear to be 8 in larger diameter it look like the tires might have the chance to rub.
Actually I just looked up the official spec the Goodyear MTV 395 85 r20 are 46.6" diameter. currently there's about 7" spacing between my rear tires with no load in the back. Michelin zxl 16.00r20 tires are 52.9" in diameter. If I installed those the spacing in between my tires would decrease by 6.3 in leaving it to less than an inch which is uncomfortably close. Heaven forbid a rock or a branch get stuck up in there. If you go over some kind of bump and the tires get even closer and start rubbing.IMG_20230702_181847.jpg

Third From Texas

People have put 16.00r20s on M1088s so..
Yeah, but it's pretty tight in there.

I've only seen pics but it was enough for me to say nope.

;)

I don't see the advantage now, anyway. It's not that much additional clearance (an inch?). It just ups the replacement cost. And if you are doing it for higher speed, why not just go with EcoHubs.

ymmv

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought this fire pit cover to try out as a tire cover and it seems to fit great!
It's silvered on the inside, black on the outside, has a drawstring, and comes with a little zipping storage bag that's about 10 inches square and 1/4 of an inch thick at most when packed. Material is some sort of waterproof nylon cloth.
IMG_20230813_141916.jpg
LBTING Fire Pit Cover, 48 inch Cover for 42-48 inch Round Firepit, Waterproof Windproof Dustproof UV-Resistant Heavy Duty Cover for Outdoor Patio Firepit Table - Black https://a.co/d/inQ6DbA

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I bought this fire pit cover to try out as a tire cover and it seems to fit great!
It's silvered on the inside, black on the outside, has a drawstring, and comes with a little zipping storage bag that's about 10 inches square and 1/4 of an inch thick at most when packed. Material is some sort of waterproof nylon cloth.
View attachment 903540
LBTING Fire Pit Cover, 48 inch Cover for 42-48 inch Round Firepit, Waterproof Windproof Dustproof UV-Resistant Heavy Duty Cover for Outdoor Patio Firepit Table - Black https://a.co/d/inQ6DbA
That is Genius, serpico760; pure genius!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally had time to reconfigure the batteries down to two from four. When I had bought it, it had 4 group 24s in it so I pulled out all four batteries and the battery tray all together, which i wound up just drilling the heads off the bolts for the tray and knocking them on through to avoid pulling the tanks to get to the nuts. Then bought a sheet of 1/2 in thick UHMW polyethylene to fill in and span the entire area. I used a forester bit to countersink the sheet to make a smooth service for the batteries to sit and then used the existing mounting holes to attach it to the base. Measured out the batteries and used unistrut I had laying around and luckily once agin picked up existing holes for the unistrut on the front and back of the batteries to hold them in place. Then simply put a piece of high density foam in between the batteries to keep them snug. I had removed the slave connection assy to mode the bracket to add a bracket for an air quick connect from the tank, but just haven’t got around to finish it yet. Now I have so much more room for other add ons later IE master cutoff and battery maintainer, or what ever else.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice work, that’s on my short list to accomplish. I’d like a chainsaw in the box. A common issue is a tree down across the road when storms rage.
I almost wonder if a one man cross-cut saw wouldn't be a useful thing as well. When a storm comes along, eventually fuel will be a problem. A simple "Man Powered" saw also starts every time...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost wonder if a one man cross-cut saw wouldn't be a useful thing as well. When a storm comes along, eventually fuel will be a problem. A simple "Man Powered" saw also starts every time...
The "Pioneer Toolkit" (shovel, pick-mattock, axe, saw, telescoping loppers) is always on board, in my opinion. At the very least because if you take this truck on trails, you end up having to trim lots of low-hanging branches, fill ruts you leave, etc.

Last edited:

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are useful for sure. I have one, it’s sharp and ready to go. Until then it’s up on the wall in my living room.

I run a few saws, if it’s not starting for you check the on/off switch. 🤣

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work, that’s on my short list to accomplish. I’d like a chainsaw in the box. A common issue is a tree down across the road when storms rage.
Funny thing you mentioned that, a chainsaw came across my thoughts as well. At mom and dads on the farm, their primary heat is wood so we cut a lot of wood and have many stihl and husqvarna saws but last year I went to the dark side and bought an Oregon 40v cordless saw. I bought it for my dad, with him being older I thought it’d be nice for him to be able to pick it up and have instant cutting ability Without cranking on a saw all day. We love it and for cutting smaller stuff IE 4 inches or less it honestly is the go to saw. Anywho back to about storing it, i thought about using one like that stored in there cause you wouldn’t have to worry about fuel, it breaks down super easy without tools, and you could possible get a transformer to run a charger, but the battery last a good amount of time so a charger might not even be needed.

Here’s the link to the one i got, but any saw is better than no saw.

Third From Texas

I've been lugging my little folding solar panel kit around for a few weeks now. Wanted a place to stow it that would withstand bouncing around offroad. Seemed like keeping it close to the batteries made sense. Some scrap aluminum angle, some ss d-rings, a pass with the rattle can, done

I'd never made use of the space before, so I'm pleased.

IMG_20230919_095759899_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230919_102239785_HDR.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've been lugging my little folding solar panel kit around for a few weeks now. Wanted a place to stow it that would withstand bouncing around offroad. Seemed like keeping it close to the batteries made sense. Some scrap aluminum angle, some ss d-rings, a pass with the rattle can, done

I'd never made use of the space before, so I'm pleased.

View attachment 906232

View attachment 906234
Nice looking setup.
Looks like factory...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks