• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

coachgeo

well since we are on Mirror topic.... has arrived in my mail. Bus mirrors. About $1500+ worth of mirrors for less than $350 so far

BusPasngr.jpg
Passenger mirror and mount arms will now NOT stick out any further than a few inches from body..... (it is viewed thru windshield) mount arm can be set on front of cab instead of side (plan thus far).

BusDrvr.jpg
Driver mirror- no bigger than previous.... (appears that it can be flipped and mounted on door)

s-l1600 (2).jpg
3. Both Heated and with remote tilt/aim

pipe dream (pardon the pun..... looking at mounts)
5. Remotely possible to mount an electric actuator on at least passenger side to fold it nearly completely out of harms way from the passenger seat.

Crapgame

Most of my summer has gone to dealing with my medical issues. I acquired a few War Pig items and M2HB parts along the way. Some things I had expected didn't come thru in time, but I think I've come to the conclusion the LMTV is just too much truck for me to handle, auto trans, floating cab just doesn't make it easy enough. So looks like I am going to have to get rid of the M1081 in favor of something smaller that I can fit into my garage.

wandering neurons

Hope medical issues sort out. Shame that War Pig is getting cancelled, but priorities must. Good luck!

Most of my summer has gone to dealing with my medical issues. I acquired a few War Pig items and M2HB parts along the way. Some things I had expected didn't come thru in time, but I think I've come to the conclusion the LMTV is just too much truck for me to handle, auto trans, floating cab just doesn't make it easy enough. So looks like I am going to have to get rid of the M1081 in favor of something smaller that I can fit into my garage.

wandering neurons

I'll really be curious to see how and if flipping the mirrors works! While the Cascadia mirrors look good, I've got a M1081 and would like to keep the folding upper door capability, and make my mirrors more like the War Pig versions. Buying two drivers mirrors and flipping appropriately, mounted to the front of the cab rather than door would be ideal if the flip works.

well since we are on Mirror topic.... has arrived in my mail. Bus mirrors. About $1500+ worth of mirrors for less than $350 so far

View attachment 740921
Passenger mirror and mount arms will now NOT stick out any further than a few inches from body..... (it is viewed thru windshield) mount arm can be set on front of cab instead of side (plan thus far).

View attachment 740922
Driver mirror- no bigger than previous.... (appears that it can be flipped and mounted on door)

View attachment 740923
3. Both Heated and with remote tilt/aim

pipe dream (pardon the pun..... looking at mounts)
5. Remotely possible to mount an electric actuator on at least passenger side to fold it nearly completely out of harms way from the passenger seat.

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like great minds think alike. We started working on installing some electric heated mirrors off a MRAP. Also had to insert an EZ LOK into the transmission pan since one of the test ports was stripped out and it was steadily dripping out oil. This week we will be doing one of a few oil changes on the transmission as we convert it to automatic transmission and to make sure that no metal flakes made it into the oil in the drilling and tapping process.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163172089@N03/shares/ZNTRZ4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163172089@N03/shares/nB5876

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Looks like great minds think alike. We started working on installing some electric heated mirrors off a MRAP. Also had to insert an EZ LOK into the transmission pan since one of the test ports was stripped out and it was steadily dripping out oil. This week we will be doing one of a few oil changes on the transmission as we convert it to automatic transmission and to make sure that no metal flakes made it into the oil in the drilling and tapping process.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163172089@N03/shares/ZNTRZ4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163172089@N03/shares/nB5876
Did you reinforce the door for that mirror mount?

coachgeo

Ambeihl

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you reinforce the door for that mirror mount?
No not yet but I have plans to reinforce it soon. Just going to be a simple metal backing plate with nuts welded onto it. This was just a test fit to check for height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Im thinking of moving the whole spare tire unloading mechanism behind the truck, and build a pass trough behind the passenger seat.
Shouldn't be too hard...

yertnamreg

Im with Ohiobenz and honestly I assumed you were moving your spare etc. No way I would keep it like that.. Move your spare and air cleaner and tuck that baby up closer.
I would have liked to have a pass through, but I didn't want to deal with moving all that junk and re-plumbing all the hydraulics. There won't be much weight behind the wheels so CG shouldn't be an issue. It drives surprisingly nicely! I honestly like the ride with the box on better than the bed.

I'm planning on building a fold down carrier on the back to hold an unmounted spare and my paramotor.

coachgeo

guess with that set up one could consider going with adding a tag axle? One of those whose wheels don't actually touch ground until forced down by air or when going up a bank that otherwise would drag your arse end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks