• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HEMTT/PLS/MK48 this week

Elideclan2

heres another batch

this is my 983 with winch. 2012 rebuild functionally, and cosmetically a"9"
i have many pictures of my M983 as well as my M977 I will post up to this thread. I hope this is a help
to anyone with these big machines. I will answer any questions i can. enjoy. more pics inbound.

Attachments

HASSON1911

My pall filter is still leaking, it was replaced with the proper orings and still cant get the leaking to stop, though it is more of a slow leak or fast drip rather than the puking it was.

Going to try find time to put on my new grill and cut some holes for the headlights.

Last edited:

Jayco36REQS

Quick questions from those who actually own a MK48.... What is the real world top speed on the highway? How are the on-road manners at speed?

I'm thinking of buying one, and would need to drive it on the highway from time to time.

Thanks!!

RDUKW

The MK48 will top out at 54 mph max. They are not a truck you can just sit back and relax at max speed. They require constant input as they have a tendency to wonder. The HEMTT has much better freeway manners. I don't know about the earlier HEMTT's but my A2 cruises down the road nice and comfortable at 70 mph with its electronic 5 speed Alison.

Last edited:

Gunzy

The MK48 will top out at 54 mph max. They are not a truck you can just sit back and relax at max speed. They require constant input as they have a tendency to wonder. The HEMMT has much better freeway manners. I don't know about the earlier HEMMT's but my A2 cruises down the road nice and comfortable at 70 mph with its electronic 5 speed Alison.
My 1987 M985 can run at 62 but is much nicer at 55.

DrillerSurplus

I have both MK48 and HEMTT and agree with the previous 4 replies. The MK48's top end is a little over 50 and the HEMTT close to 60 + or-. Both are more comfortable to drive at 5 or 10 mph under top speed.
There a lot of variables that impact the comfort level (or pucker factor)-the road surface, traffic, tires, mechanical condition, etc.

I briefly had an M1120A2 earlier this year that had very low miles. It drove like RDUKW's A2- smooth, quiet & comfortable at 65+. After driving the MK48 and older HEMTT, it felt like I was driving a pickup.
If I hadn't already promised it to a customer, I would have kept it- practically cried when it left the yard.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
65 in mine all day on interstate.
Slower on back roads due to any dips in road that try to throw you through the roof.

RDUKW

Has any one tried putting a pair of 8D batteries in their HEMTT? My batteries decided Veterans day last week would be their last day so it is time for a upgrade.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks