• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Another Ahab

That block is so simple and clean. It's pretty that way.

It reminds me of that poem by Sappho, the ancient Greek poet from the Isle of Lesbos (yeah, you can probably guess her story some by that "address").

The fragment from her poem says:

"What is Beautiful is Good/
And Who is Good is also soon Beautiful"

So there you go, a comparison of a four-banger jeep block to the ancient poetry of Sappho.

Saberr

I finaly got gas..... Now i can stop using flux to weld my back floor together. Also just about have all rust gone frome body now, about 3 hours of work left. (need new back floor, but too broke :()

gwitthans1

Took mine out for some real fun at Dove Springs (Jawbone) California over the weekend, minor issue with a clogged fuel filter and it ran fine until some Wacko on a motorcycle decided to head plant into my windshield! (I was stopped). time for a new windshield glass and pound out the dent in the hood. Btw yes the guy is OK, he was wearing his missile helmet.:-D

gwitthans1

Installed the Land Cruiser starter option

My M38A1 was long ago transformed from 24V to 12V when it had a civilian job. Now that she is retired, the old jeep does not have an issue with being 12v. Lately I have noticed that the starter has been making a whining sound and not as much oomph at as used to. After sticker shock and availability issues for a Civy 12v starter, I was able to search the internet and learn that Land Cruiser starters may be an option and a cheap one at that. I ordered a starter from Oreilly's for about $50 with a $4.50 core charge, pulled my old Delco starter out and with a little modification installed the starter. Works Like a charm! If you are interested this is what you will need to do. Order starter #16224, put on bench drill bottom hole to a clean 1/2" and you will need to oval the upper hole to line up the bolt hole. I actually drilled both holes to I think a 9/16 size (was bigger than the 1/2" but couldn't read what size) bolt starter in rewired my solenoid as this starter has a built in solenoid and will require a switched starter position hot to the spade contact on the starter. If you wish to spend an additional $150 you can get one on ebay that has already had the holes enlarged.

Attachments

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got the engine done and in, then found the Water Pump is leaking and the Carb is too warn out! More $$$$$, funny how that happens!

FrankUSMC

A good surprise today for my M38A1C jeep. The garage where I had the 106mm recoilless rife stored/on display while I looked for a good M38A1 to mount the gun on called today. They told me that when I had the gun on display, I also had one of the shells on display with the gun. I forgot all about the shell. They found it today in a corner while cleaning up the garage to close it down, the owner is retiring. I will go over tomorrow and get the shell. Funny thing is, I was looking to buy another shell to put on display with the M38A1C. For once, I saved some $$.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Bravo2Uniform

Very productive weekend 8 - 10 hours work total = ring and pinion for front axle installed, new seals in front axle, painted axle, front end springs and shocks installed, front axle installed out to knuckles, timing gears repaired and cover re-installed, new water pump installed, and new fan blades.

For once, I didn't run out of parts or hit something I hadn't studied yet.

Bravo2Uniform

Too much coffee at work yesterday - came home and jumped on working on the Willys. I was able to get the RH springs and shock installed. That freed me up to install the tie rods, bell crank, drag link, pitman arm, and steering gear box. Sounds like a lot, but when the systems are already assembled, you can rock through putting them back on.

This makes about 12 hours work without having to stop to fabricate or order a part or piece. Not sure what's going on, cosmically speaking, but I hope it holds out!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the water pump, it ran like crap! New cap, points, condenser and rotor came today! So fingers crossed?

Another Ahab

She's looking great! [thumbzup]

And it's funny because your house looks like some of the BEQ's I've been quartered in. I can't remember where that was now (Hueneme? or maybe it was Gulfport?), but that red hipped roof is bringing on some recall.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks