• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

Bravo2Uniform

Re-tiring the un-retired M38A1

Huge milestone accomplishment this morning - putting the correct wheels / tires on "Murphy". We call the M38A1 "Murphy" 'cause if it can go wrong, it will, but we love him anyway. That's my 15 year old installing tightening up the lug nuts. We are doing this restoration in honor of my Father, who died last year. He'd be stoked to see how much we've done.

20160416_092805.jpg20160416_093032.jpg

Maverick1701

I bolted the wheels/tires to my jeep and rolled her forward a few feet so I could fit my daily ride (97 expedition) under my carport. We are forecasted for baseball sized hail and 5in of rain today...fun fun. *sarcasm*

The only good thing is that my jeep looks GREAT with the painted wheels mounted up.

Another Ahab

Huge milestone accomplishment this morning - putting the correct wheels / tires on "Murphy". We call the M38A1 "Murphy" 'cause if it can go wrong, it will, but we love him anyway. That's my 15 year old installing tightening up the lug nuts. We are doing this restoration in honor of my Father, who died last year. He'd be stoked to see how much we've done.
That frame and chassis looks beautiful and near perfect; outstanding.

My hat is off to you, in tribute to your Father, and the blessing of his memory. Amen

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the MC out to our monthly meeting and also stopped to eat! She's running rough right now, fuel issues we think! So a little more troubleshooting!
20160417_092743.jpg20160417_173933.jpg

Amer-team

I wish mine looked that good. Body vertical in carport. Chassis at the 1SG's place and I think the radiator shop lost my tank and radiator. One of these days.

Saberr

LoL Gralmk, love you 2nd picture. It's refreshingly hilarious to be reminded how small these jeeps are. Yours is all the way in the parking spot, almost looks like you could fit another behind it. The SUV in the background is sticking out of the parking spot. :)

Amer-team

CUCV this project has been languishing for a long time. It is more fun sometimes to drive them than work on them. Dropped the stuff off and went back at the prescribed time and the guy said he hadn't got to it. Guy doesn't return calls and I haven't caught him at his shop the last few times I have stopped. Looks like one of those lessons in life where I should have been more diligent and less easy going.

TGP (IL)

Took the side curtains off the M38A1 then out for some fresh gas and to the Lake property for some exercise, then to lunch.
Ran Great!
Beautiful day here.
Need to get this project at work completed, but now "Weed Patrol" has taken most of my time lately!
Tom

Attachments

wilfreeman

Man, how in the world did I miss this thread?

Anyhow, I took it to the Denton, NC rally this weekend which was great! Came to the realization that I really, really need to get that spare engine rebuilt! She's getting more and more noisy and oil pressure is nothing to get excited about. If I'm gonna make it to the GA rally in October, I've got to get it done.

Bravo2Uniform

Where are you getting all of your parts from?

Are they all the original parts?
All of my engine parts are NOS or take offs. The body parts are mostly reproductions.

My first choice is QTM Restoration Parts (Chickamauga, GA). Matt (the owner) as many, many parts vehicles so he can either sell it to you new or used. Good guy to deal with and has good prices. He will answer questions by phone or email. he pulled my 24V system from his boneyard, sent the generator and regulator to be rebuilt for about half the price of buying it from other vendors.

My 2nd choice is Walck's or Army Jeep Parts. I find Walck's website a bit more organized than Army Jeep Parts. Both owners will answer questions by phone or email. Walck's has a few videos on YouTube.

My third stop on the search is usually Kaiser Willys (Aiken, SC). They have just about everything. I find their prices to be a little bit higher than most, but they have an expansive inventory and a very intuitive website. They are also good at giving advice by phone or email. They have a lot of videos on YouTube.

My last resource is Peter DeBella (NY) - his website is so cumbersome as to be a pain in my rear end. He does have good reproduction body parts and a lot of NOS stuff that is hard to find, like sector shafts. His prices are high as a cat's back!

I also use eBay quite frequently. A lot of the time the vendor on eBay is QTM or Peter DeBella.

Bravo2Uniform

The Murphy Train Rolls On

Got the disc brake backing plate installed - with very, very little help from the craptacular instructions. Got the rotors on (no pic) but am on hold until QTM can ship new nuts and washers for the spindle. Finally, a literal 6 months after removing them, I tore down the Dualmatic hubs. They need some grease but other than that, pristine. Good times with Murphy, the if it can go wrong Willys.

DSC_0168.JPGDSC_0172.JPG

wilfreeman

The disc brake and dual circuit master cylinder has always been an upgrade I've wanted to do. The factory brakes just don't do it for me. My 'a1 is not totally stock anyhow ( I have made some other performance/convenience upgrades).

Jeeagle

All of my engine parts are NOS or take offs. The body parts are mostly reproductions.

My first choice is QTM Restoration Parts (Chickamauga, GA). Matt (the owner) as many, many parts vehicles so he can either sell it to you new or used. Good guy to deal with and has good prices. He will answer questions by phone or email. he pulled my 24V system from his boneyard, sent the generator and regulator to be rebuilt for about half the price of buying it from other vendors.

My 2nd choice is Walck's or Army Jeep Parts. I find Walck's website a bit more organized than Army Jeep Parts. Both owners will answer questions by phone or email. Walck's has a few videos on YouTube.

My third stop on the search is usually Kaiser Willys (Aiken, SC). They have just about everything. I find their prices to be a little bit higher than most, but they have an expansive inventory and a very intuitive website. They are also good at giving advice by phone or email. They have a lot of videos on YouTube.

My last resource is Peter DeBella (NY) - his website is so cumbersome as to be a pain in my rear end. He does have good reproduction body parts and a lot of NOS stuff that is hard to find, like sector shafts. His prices are high as a cat's back!

I also use eBay quite frequently. A lot of the time the vendor on eBay is QTM or Peter DeBella.
QTM also not to bad of a place to work as well!

Jeeagle

My dream job! Seriously!

Matt is great to work for. I find his level of customer service impressive. After working retail for three years 2 of them on a management level I know how crazy it can be. Thankfully I stay in the back playing with things. Right now it's MUTT heaven. Have one Willys M151, two M151a1s, and one M151a2. One already rebuilt, one fixed for customer, two awaiting restoration.

Bravo2Uniform

Matt is great to work for. I find his level of customer service impressive. After working retail for three years 2 of them on a management level I know how crazy it can be. Thankfully I stay in the back playing with things. Right now it's MUTT heaven. Have one Willys M151, two M151a1s, and one M151a2. One already rebuilt, one fixed for customer, two awaiting restoration.
Awesome. I hate to bother him because I know he's very busy...but I sent him an email this morning, I am looking for a pin jumper for my m38A1. I want one with the cables still attached so I can hook it up.I'll never use it but I am going for as close to original as possible. I also need an original fuel pump which he doesn't have listed on the website. So much needed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks