• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MKT this week???

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and don't let the burners run too long without close supervision. I have two 15 gallon pots that have been patched (before i got them) because the burner was fired up and the pot was empty, and melted a hole in the bottom. Griddles can get warped also from too much heat. Using the griddles, I rarely need to run them higher up than 2 o'clock (5 being lowest, 7 being full tilt). Cooking in the ovens rarely requires more than 12 o'clock, and baking biscuits is usually more like 3 o'clock. YMMV.

CommoChief

CommoChief, not that you are at all obliged or anything, it's yours to use (or not) as you like, but just curious:

- Are you "working" the MKT at all, you know, a party now and then, or anything?!
Another Ahab....had done some work with the local
Scout Troop to help them raise $$$ a few years back
but have been just using it in the back yard for fun.
It makes the BEST carmalized peppers & onions I
have ever tasted. It is ready for any local crisis if needed - we had 2 major floods within 4 years just
before I bought it so that was really my justification for the purchase.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike for all the advice and information. I only ran them a few minutes to see them all working in unison. Figured out how to do the video via YouTube so I will do a walk around once I get done. Also, thumb drive went out today.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed that the second MBU in the video is a 100, not a 103. Heat range on it will be a bit narrower, esp on the low end (20K BTU/hr vs 11K BTU/hr for the newer one) so it may need to be set lower to keep an even heat on the griddle. Noted that you have the new griddle (MKT-99 upgrade).

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noticed that the second MBU in the video is a 100, not a 103. Heat range on it will be a bit narrower, esp on the low end (20K BTU/hr vs 11K BTU/hr for the newer one) so it may need to be set lower to keep an even heat on the griddle. Noted that you have the new griddle (MKT-99 upgrade).

I received an upgrade kit I ordered and installed it today...all V3's now : ) As far as the MKT, I believe it was upgraded in 2014 as I found some paperwork that said work was done. Super happy as it had most everything in it and some of the items were not even opened. Mike, is it common for them to come with extra short screens so that you could have a pair of short screens on each end instead of a short and a long? Or did I just get lucky to have two short screens still in boxes?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received an upgrade kit I ordered and installed it today...all V3's now : ) As far as the MKT, I believe it was upgraded in 2014 as I found some paperwork that said work was done. Super happy as it had most everything in it and some of the items were not even opened. Mike, is it common for them to come with extra short screens so that you could have a pair of short screens on each end instead of a short and a long? Or did I just get lucky to have two short screens still in boxes?
It is possible because that way the soldiers coming through the chow line would not have to make their way through a screen wall to get onto the MKT. Two of the intermediate screens would be a better choice IMHO, but putting one on in reverse (shifted) might not work as well as just using the short screen on that end. I have only used the walls, and that was because of blowing rain, because insects have not really been a problem where we have used the MKT. YMMV.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I changed out my rear tail lights and converted them over from 24 volt to 10-30 v LED. Knowing what a pain California is I may also add side mark lights in place of the reflectors (or leave those and add marker lights for serious side overkill). I will try and get some pictures up later, but I still have few other items to address with the wiring harness before I run power through it to test everything. Also considering a brake conversion from Air/Hydraulic to Electric/Hydraulic so that I can pull it with a civ F250 since I haven't scored something military and larger to pull it with yet. I read the following link and it seems simple enough.

therooster2001

Does anyone have the number for the Amphenol plug used on
the cords to power the MBUs?
Those plugs are not easily found cheaply if I remember. It’s easier to go to the plastic power connector. I used these to hookup a 24v power brick when using one outside the MKT.

Hope this link works for you.

A bit consolidated in his reply is

MS3106f16-11s is for the inline socket that will plug into the MBU's. $29.00
MS3106f16-11p is for the inline pin that plugs into the power converter. $26.00
MS3106e16-11p is for the connectors with pins mounted on the MBU itself. $8.50
MS3106e16-11s is the connector that is mounted on the power converter. $9.00

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All:
I have replaced all my rain flys and am having the old vinyl resewn, it is in good shape the thread gave up! My rubber cord is also broken in a couple of places, anyone know of a good source for replacement? I am not even sure what the cord is called so I can look for it?
James

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after a few weeks of tracking down parts, converting to LED lighting, and converting the trailer to electric over hydraulic braking (for now, but keeping the parts for reconversion back to air over later if I can secure a 5 ton!) I finally decided to cook breakfast for dinner. Using Mikes advice on burner settings was perfect and it turned out pretty well. Eggs were done last LOL as I didn't want to be trying to handle 4 different items on one griddle

.IMG_9948[2540].JPGIMG_9948[2540].JPG

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you need to get some bacon presses and a hashbrown steamer lid or two, and maybe some egg rings for making egg biscuits. For biscuits I cheat and use the WalMart "Great Value" Buttermilk jumbo biscuits (not the 'flaky' variety), 20 will fit nicely on a baking sheet. I start 'proofing' them in the top compartment until they rise, then put them on the baking rack in the main oven till they turn light brown on the top. Need to have one person watching the biscuits and not distracted by other duties as they can go from light brown to hockey pucks real fast. To speed things up on baking, I've also put a sheet on top of the M-59 to start the warming process. With six baking sheets, we can do 120 biscuits in a little over 35 minutes. Store the cooked biscuits in the GN 1/3 pans (or GN 1/2 pans if you get them) in the CAMBRO containers. To keep things warm, put a gallon of boiling water in the CAMBRO before you put the pans in. QM school says to preheat with a gallon of boiling water, then change it out with a fresh gallon of boiling water just before use, but they are sending the food out to the troops, not feeding them on site.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some great information Mike, thank you. It was a last minute decision, and of course once I got started, I had kids running back and forth getting things I needed LOL. it was pretty comical. I had not yet put all of the utensils in it yet, no containers, and no spices (salt/pepper) or oil/lard for the griddle so it was funny. Baking is next as I want to try biscuits (thanks for the info) and cookies. My first big event isn't until September so I am hoping to do lots of "test" cooking over the next few months (not the wisest decision considering we are just now getting to 95-105 weather here for the next 3 months).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks