• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is the correct M1008 "U" joint size?

allrevup

I need to confirm parts so I can order, pick up upon my return and finish some R. & R. to my drive line.
After doing some research here and else were...I am confused

is the front drive shaft "U" joint to the D60 pinion just a 1310 ?
is the rear drive shaft to the M1008- GM14 bolts, a 1410 or a 1350 ?
are "U" bolts better then properly size "U" joint straps or NOT ?

This time, I will probably replace one or another with stock size Duralast, non greasable Spicer "life savers" or Tom Woods "Gold Seal" (they have a incredible joint failure and shaft damage warranty, but will take a few days to get here)

Also For future reference, what upgrade would you suggest Will keeping the "U" joints as the cheap & accessible drive line fuse and using what I already have.

I had already upgraded my Dana 60 axle shafts to Spicer 35 splines stubs, Richmond "No-Slip", non-greasable 5-806 "U" joints and Warn premium hub lock out. More then PLENTY for this power plant !

Last edited:

allrevup

I hope the axle (truck) continues to serve me well.

I am lifting the front end to better accommodate the 37" HMMWV tires, just an additional 1/2"-3/4" will keeping caster & pinion angle at check, with 5 1/4" long rear HD front spring shackles and bolts, and notice advance wear on my original shaft "U" joint, "what ever size it is" ( I am all confused since the red truck has all 1350 joints and I had thought that M1008 had 1350 front and 1410 rear) also my drag link joints need replacing (the rubber boots failed), This I had replace at the time of the D60 built a couple of years back, with GM HD drag link rod ends, as recommended by the ORD guys.

I did not do, the Cross Over to this truck. I wanted to keep the sway bars in case I did any heavy towing. (ZERO since the lift) I had also replace the OEM tie rod with a 1.50" X .375" thick wall from ORD and their Sway bar disconnects.

Last edited: