• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

56FordGuy

I happened across this truck today, and am considering bringing it home. Trouble is, I don't know a whole lot about it. The gentleman that owns it said it was a 1941 half ton, so I think it's a WC. Is that right?

It's mostly complete, but the radiator is missing. I think the bed is actually a trailer body, it has a tag on the side with loading instructions for howitzer ammunition. I didn't see any data tags anywhere on it. I also noticed it has what appear to be split ring wheels on it. I've always been told to stay away from them. Are the wheels on this truck something to be concerned about? If so, are there any available replacements out there?

I think this truck is a cool piece of history, I would really like to fix it up. I'm concerned about parts availability, along with things to check out. Any advice or tips y'all could offer would be great.

Thanks!

2012-06-15_14-43-44_414.jpg

2012-06-15_14-43-57_788.jpg

2012-06-15_14-45-12_244.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt.Marion

Yes, that indeed looks to be a 1/2 ton WC. Not sure of the correct WC #, though.

My opinion: SAVE IT. I bet you can find almost 100% of the engine parts at Napa, still, as that engine was likely fairly common, if it's anything like the 230 that they put in the 3/4-ton WCs and the M37s.

Beyond that, I'm not much help. Does it have any data plates on the engine?

hwcurtice

I'm not sure if enough people have said this: SAVE THIS VEHICLE!

If you can't, locate someone that can. Don't let history be turned into razor blades from China.

BTW, SAVE THIS VEHICLE!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW - it's a shame the original bed is gone, and the frame from the M10/M332 ammo trailer is gone as well. However, I've seen someone use a M332 bed for a bobbed deuce bed, it looked pretty neat. Might be able to save that here as well....

56FordGuy

I appreciate the input. I've been reading around tonight trying to learn a bit more about this truck.

The owner said the front and rear axles don't have differentials in them, but are spools. Is that the factory configuration, or is it more likely that someone welded the differential gears? Where should I look for data tags or stamped numbers? I didn't find anything on the dash, or driver's side door frame.

56FordGuy

I appreciate the input. I've been reading around tonight trying to learn a bit more about this truck.

The owner said the front and rear axles don't have differentials in them, but are spools. Is that the factory configuration, or is it more likely that someone welded the differential gears? Where should I look for data tags or stamped numbers? I didn't find anything on the dash, or driver's side door frame.

56FordGuy

Just wanted to let y'all know what wound up happening with this truck. I found out that the cab is a civilian cab that was swapped out, and the front bumper is incorrect. Since the bed is also incorrect, I decided to pass. At $3500.00, I can't justify the amount of work it would take to redo it. The truck is in no danger of being scrapped, and my hunt for a MV will continue.

I don't think the owner would like me posting his contact information here, but if any of y'all are interested in the truck shoot me a PM and I can get you in touch.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At $3,500 it's going to sit for a LONG time. That truck isn't worth near that. Maybe $1,000 on a good day. My personal opinion.

bgates

It is a 1/2 ton WC. I can't tell if it's the correct engine. If it is, it will be a T207. I can't quite make it out on the left side of the block.
If the gauges are square, it's a 41. If they are round it's a 42. Looks like a good straight truck. If you can't find the correct bed just use one off a civilian Dodge and add the center stake pocket.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spark Plug

Just bumping a 'What is this' thread instead of starting a new one. Seemed like a good plan.

I know that it's a spark-plug, the box says aircraft, searches say it's aircraft. I found some 1946 Nasa data, a few for sale but the info is limited.

Just wondering if anyone has seen these, used them and if there's any alternative uses?
I saw a few boxes of these on the last hunt so I grabbed one, glad I did.

P5210025.jpgP5210026.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks