• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is yours?

texas-5-ton

jwaller said:
5 ton winch cables come out under the bumber thats why it looks upside down from the deuces.
I am fixing to put a winch on my 5 ton but it doesnt have that roller assembly. What is the purpose off this roller and slide up on top of the winch? Also, I don't wanna look like a dummy later down the road, you say that the cable on a 5 ton goes under the bumper ??

Chad

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yup the wreckers had top level winders on them most 5 ton front winches are 20K units with a lower and two side rollers and the cable is fed under the bumper, see the 50 year old M52 thread for pics of mine. I love your truck and what you all did to it to keep it in the fire company.

texas-5-ton

Thank you David. I really appreciate your comment. All of the guys sure like the 5 ton, since they have never seen a brush truck like this. I just wish that they had put as much sweat and time into this thing as i had. I think that they would have more respect for it and it would mean more to them, therefore take better care of it. It hasn't been mistreated yet but heads ARE going to roll when it gets needlessly abused !!

It seems like alot of our neighboring departments have been going back to the 6X6 brush trucks recently. There are 3 or 4 departments in our county that have bought one in the past 2 years. It has been at least 25 years since I can remember one serving as a firetruck in Johnson County, and it was an old 52 GMC. Glad to see the 6X6 making a "come-back" in the fire service around here.

As far as the winch, should we try to put a top-roller on our winch and exactly what purpose does this roller do?

Thanks,

Chad

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would not put one on, it is a level winder that keeps the wire spool evenly rewound on the spool. The wreckers use the winches more than anyone and the level wind is on the rear winch too for them. Since winching is a two person job on these trucks let your spotter tell you if the cable is stacking up on one end. I usually winch with at least one snatch block to get down to the real capacity of the winch and to keep from breaking a shear pin when big loads are encountered. That usually means that I have to manually guide the wire on the spool when hauling it in when done winching