• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model 5 ton is this? Oshkosh?

MO MV man

Hello all,

On my way to work this morning, I saw this big beauty on the flatbed in the picture.
There was one at a local car show last year but it was still in service with the National Guard.
My daughter and I got to climb all over it. What an awesome ride.

Anyway, the attached pic is what I'm curious about.

Model number?
Oshkosh I assume?

Thanks again.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somehow I don't this Oshkosh would have left the Stewart and Stevenson logo embossed over the passenger headlight when they took over production from S&S.

MO MV man

I learned a LOT in only three responses! :beer:

Sorry about posting it under "5 tons".
The size of the hubs, number of lugs, etc. are what threw me.
I know very little about this model of truck but they sure are impressive.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Augdog1964

Cool

They look cool as heck... but every soldier I've talked to, have said they don't like them... they aren't as tough as the 939 series, and require more maintenance...

Of course you know what opinions are like... as you know...

gunboy1656

I watched an empty truck tow and empty water trailer in Iraq roll over right in front of me. He was not even speeding when it happened.

Only thing I like about them is the extra room in the cab.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look cool as heck... but every soldier I've talked to, have said they don't like them... they aren't as tough as the 939 series, and require more maintenance...

Of course you know what opinions are like... as you know...
Soldiers complain about 939s, they complained about 809s and M44s... If a Soldier isn't complaining something is terribly wrong. There are pros and cons to all of them, but overall the FMTVs are serving us pretty well. I don't have more than anectdotal evidence on operational readiness rates, but accident rates aren't any higher on FMTVs than they were on previous trucks. Id have to check to be sure but i'll bet accident rates are lower on FMTVs.

Jones

Oshkosh FMTV FMTV : Oshkosh Defense
Stewart and Stevenson had the contract first but then Oshkosh picked it up Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV)
The early FMTVs had problems that resulted in a number of accidents when driven at a certain highway speed range. The quick fix was a sticker on the dash telling drivers not to run in that range.
Now they're redoing the driveline design (the real culprit) to get away from the problem all together.
Also check this site Prime Portal There it helps to know the model number but it's still an interesting site just to visit and look around.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i also belive its a stevenson
My mistake: I automatically said Oshkosh but then realized that it was S & S who made the FMTV trucks, until 2010 or so.
I did notice their logo on the grille in the OP's pic and yes, it is different from what the latest Oshkosh's show.

What leaves me wondering is that unique grille: not what they normally look like, or even the STEYR 12M18, which these are based on.
Maybe someone could explain that detail...?

G.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it was a Dutch army truck;-):roll: I'm neither here nor there with him. I grew up and served with the M-series trucks and they speak US Military. I am just partial to the old iron.

I would not drive an FMTV if my life depended on it. The accident rate on them has gone down, but still three times higher then 5 ton or deuce. from the time i saw the first one get dropped of in the motor pools i saw more deadline then operational. I will correct my self I WILL NOT drive the new 2.5 or 5 tons. 900 series or older.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks