• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model Genset is this?

scootertrs

A friend wants my help getting this puppy going, but it has sat for a very long time. Looks very rough, but only 280+/- hours on the clock. I cannot find any id plate and I suspect that it was painted over many years ago and I cannot find it. I would guess it to be a 15-25 kw unit. The fuel tank has something in it, but it smells like varnish or bad gas. It does not have spark plugs, so I am assuming it is either a multifuel or a diesel. I am attaching some pics hoping one of you guys can id it for me.IMG_1171.jpgIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1169.jpgThanks for the helpIMG_1170.jpg

helomedic1171

it looks similar to a multifuel engine, like the ones in Deuce/5-Tons, which would mean it's not a 10Kw or smaller. my GUESS, is that it is a 15K or 30Kw unit. without a data plate or more info/details, I'm not sure.

scootertrs

I saw that exhaust manifold after I posted, but it's water cooled.... too big and not the right setup for 10K or smaller. I think it's a 15Kw.
Thanks... going to dump the fuel in the tank, check for damaged wires and connnectors... juice it up... and do a "smoke" test...... can only hurt so much...

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac-1

I am guessing an oddball of some types from the 1960's. The main reason the MEP generator program was created in the late 1960's was that the DOD discovered they had no unified procurement program for generators and as a result had thousands of models to support which was a logistical nightmare. Some models they had bought thousands of, others only dozens, my guess is yours is closer to the dozens range.

Ike

scootertrs

I am guessing an oddball of some types from the 1960's. The main reason the MEP generator program was created in the late 1960's was that the DOD discovered they had no unified procurement program for generators and as a result had thousands of models to support which was a logistical nightmare. Some models they had bought thousands of, others only dozens, my guess is yours is closer to the dozens range.

Ike
I agree on most, but looking at the solid state rectifier bridge that I see and the electronics in the system, I would date this at somewhere in the 80's if not 90's man. date. Can anyone ID the motor? Is it Hercules, Deere, Cummins... etc? At least with that, I can begin to find info.

Thanks

Isaac-1

Perhaps, but front panel gauge style looks a bit older than that, more like the 1960's or 70's. Could it be 400 hz, or maybe 50 /60 hz NATO?

Last edited:

scootertrs

Perhaps, but front panel gauge style looks a bit older than that, more like the 1960's or 70's. Could it be 400 hz, or maybe 50 /60 hz NATO?
I thought about that... but it is a 12 wire genset and the freq meter on the panel works centered at 60hz... but the "bright guy" that painted the unit previously had no idea that the wire numbers on the gen output could be so important... so now I have to see if I can see where the wire tags are at and how to preserve them. Back in the day, the wire tags were stamped metal wraps... these look that they were just numbered pieces of tape... first things first though... lets see if I can get it to run manually without any electronics attached. Then see if I can get juice flowing... If I were to guess, I believe it should be at least 15-20KW (based on the 4 cyl engine and the size of the gen. head. They used to get 10KW with 2 cyl diesels easy.

scootertrs

There are ways to determine the wiring pairs on 12 lead units be measuring the resistance and comparing leads.
Awesome... but as Clint Eastwood said once... a man must know his limitations.... If you can give me a heads up on doing that, it would be much appreciated. I sure as heck don't know how.

Isaac-1

I don't recall the details off hand, but the topic comes up once or twice a year over on the smokstak board in the generator section.

Ike

scootertrs

I don't recall the details off hand, but the topic comes up once or twice a year over on the smokstak board in the generator section.

Ike
Thanks Ike

I am plodding through this... http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47155 after you gave me the heads upm I did a search and came up with it... they are actually working someone through this problem... and here I thought I wa special... I will read this carefully, and read it again when I don't have a bottle of wine in my bowels... why is it that people do not think that when someone goes through the trouble of labeling each wire, that there was a purpose to doing so...

PeterD

That's a Hercules D198 like in the MEP-004, I suspect this is a 15 KW unit, and I may have information on it, but I won't have time to dig it out until perhaps Wednesday. I might even have a data plate for it if it is what I think it is! (All I have is the data plate, and the panel, the rest of the unit is 'long gone'.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks