• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model Genset is this?

scootertrs

That's a Hercules D198 like in the MEP-004, I suspect this is a 15 KW unit, and I may have information on it, but I won't have time to dig it out until perhaps Wednesday. I might even have a data plate for it if it is what I think it is! (All I have is the data plate, and the panel, the rest of the unit is 'long gone'.)
That would be great to actually work it backwards, that way I could find out what it is and how it is supposed to work... I am not in a hurry, and would truly appreciate your help in getting it doing what it is supposed to do... make electricity... BTW, was the D198 a multifuel? I stil annot figure why the fuel in this thing smells like bad gas (varnish) if it is supposed to run on diesel.

Does the panel look like the one I show in the pics?

Thanks

rickf

Old fuel will turn into a substance that make stale gas look like Mister Kleen! It is NASTY!!! You will find that almost anything you use to clean it will make it even tackier. I have found the Xylene is about the only thing that cuts it, Xylene and a stiff bristle brush, heavy rubber gloves, a respirator and a lot of patience. Be sure to get the screen in the fuel pump and you may have to pump some Xylene through the pump to free things up. I would follow up right away with diesel since I don't know if the Xylene will attack anything in the pump.

Rick

helomedic1171

Old fuel will turn into a substance that make stale gas look like Mister Kleen! It is NASTY!!! You will find that almost anything you use to clean it will make it even tackier. I have found the Xylene is about the only thing that cuts it, Xylene and a stiff bristle brush, heavy rubber gloves, a respirator and a lot of patience. Be sure to get the screen in the fuel pump and you may have to pump some Xylene through the pump to free things up. I would follow up right away with diesel since I don't know if the Xylene will attack anything in the pump.

Rick
One Caveat from an FNG...

JP8.

nuff said.

but just in case... I used it after I dumped the contents of my Dad's MEP003A tank into a drain pan. I was going to clean it out, but said F%^& it and instead poured a bit of JP8 into the tank (mind you, I was using an 002A gas tank, as his 12-gallon tank was not serviceable yet.) I didn't even change the filters (should have), but I DID drain them from the petcocks, and then ran the pumps to get the JP8 in the filter cans. cranked and made smoke in short order, and within a minute or so it was running. It now purrs like a grumpy old alley cat. (it has 1400 hrs on it, so "kitten" is out of the question).

You could try using kerosene to cut it, or better yet, use some diesel and cut that with a little kerosene. in my limited experience, don't mess with the old fuel, just get rid of it. But, to cut the residue and get it out of the system, get something that will gradually loosen it up and get burned in the cylinders and then replace your filters. (even if you do what I should have done, and replace them before cranking).

YRMV, but that's an idea. I know JP8 isn't an option for everyone, I happened to have some leftover in my shed in my jerry cans.

scootertrs

I think tank dumping and cleaning is a must do... will see what is in there and what it takes to get it out. I just have never seen diesel... smell like that... thanks for the tip

helomedic1171

my dad's genset was in pretty good shape, so i didn't do much to it to begin with. Mine looked like it had been stored at the bottom of Lake Okeechobee before I won it at auction, so I changed the filters, replaced the entire strainer assembly, refurbished the 2 filter cans, refurbed the oil filter can as well, changed all of the fuel lines, and repaired a busted tank that i pulled off my Dad's genset. Oh, and replaced the fuel level gauge/sender.

PeterD

Just a guess, and certainly the right era and family, look at the SF-15-MD generator set too... I'm not 100% convinced it is the same however, it is close. The stock number I have is 6115-922-8690 and I don't think there are any manuals available but I could be wrong. BTW, the data plate I have says date of manufacture is 7/68. If in fact it turns out to be this model, PM me and I'll give you the data plate I have. It is very faded but still readable.

rickf

One Caveat from an FNG...

JP8.

nuff said.

but just in case... I used it after I dumped the contents of my Dad's MEP003A tank into a drain pan. I was going to clean it out, but said F%^& it and instead poured a bit of JP8 into the tank (mind you, I was using an 002A gas tank, as his 12-gallon tank was not serviceable yet.) I didn't even change the filters (should have), but I DID drain them from the petcocks, and then ran the pumps to get the JP8 in the filter cans. cranked and made smoke in short order, and within a minute or so it was running. It now purrs like a grumpy old alley cat. (it has 1400 hrs on it, so "kitten" is out of the question).

You could try using kerosene to cut it, or better yet, use some diesel and cut that with a little kerosene. in my limited experience, don't mess with the old fuel, just get rid of it. But, to cut the residue and get it out of the system, get something that will gradually loosen it up and get burned in the cylinders and then replace your filters. (even if you do what I should have done, and replace them before cranking).

YRMV, but that's an idea. I know JP8 isn't an option for everyone, I happened to have some leftover in my shed in my jerry cans.
JP-8 is just another more refined form of diesel. You will find it will not touch the tar like substance I think he is talking about. Plus, the method you mention is a sure way to wipe out an injection pump, not exactly what I would call good advice. But hey, it's your machine, do what you want.

Rick

helomedic1171

JP-8 is just another more refined form of diesel. You will find it will not touch the tar like substance I think he is talking about. Plus, the method you mention is a sure way to wipe out an injection pump, not exactly what I would call good advice. But hey, it's your machine, do what you want.

Rick

In hindsight, you are right - I was sharing what I did, not necessarily advocating the exact method I used. I still think getting something to loosen any crud in the system you can't get to and get it burned is a good idea, though I think my 2nd attempt at it, where I replaced basically everything from the tank to the IP, and then used fresh fuel, is a MUCH better idea to along with that. at a minimum, the filters. I kick myself a bit for not having done that, as I still have to go back and replace them now, but you live and learn. luckily it didn't cost me an engine.

In the end, read what people do to clean tanks and fuel systems. if you only use half of the info, you'll still be better for it than just running that junk in the tank. I poured something that looked like polyurethane out of smaller fuel tank we used, and it smelled awful. I'm absolutely glad I didn't try and burn that crap in the engine. best of luck.

scootertrs

I plan to separate the tank from the skid, replace the filters and then try to clean the tank as well as the lines. I suspect that since the pump is electrical, as soon as I clean the tank and loosen the lines, I can pump clean diesel (mixed with marvel mystery oil) up to the IP until it looks clean enough to burn. then I will loosen the injection lines and pump all the way to the injectors. Once that is good, I will crank the engine with the injector lines loose letting fuel spray (hopefully) and then crank them down. Then... cross my fingers and let her rip... I hope to enjoy the sweet smell of diesel smoke... if I am lucky.

Last edited:

scootertrs

I plan to separate the tank from the skid, replace the filters and then try to clean the tank as well as the lines. I suspect that since the pump is electrical, as soon as I clean the tank and loosen the lines, I can pump clean diesel (mixed with marvel mystery oil) up to the IP until it looks clean enough to burn. then I will loosen the injection lines and pump all the way to the injectors. Once that is good, I will crank the engine with the injector lines loose letting fuel spray (hopefully) and then crank them down. Then... cross my fingers and let her rip... I hope to enjoy the sweet smell of diesel smoke... if I am lucky.
Well, so far , so good... dumped some of the "stuff" in the tank... looked like slightly thicker, darker diesel, sort of dark red/brown with yellowish foam at the top, but very oily. Ran the primer pump for a few minutes, then cleaned it all the way up to the injectors... (going to have to find new injector lines, these look like they will burst anytime-Rusty) and hit the switch... it sputtered for a few secons as the fuel cleared the air from the lines... and then, off to the races... great oil pressure... not making juice yet, but I believe I am getting closer. Wish I could find the TM for this puppy.

PeterD

Does the panel look like the one I show in the pics?

Thanks
Yes, very similar, a better quality picture might help however. The front panel I have was relatively complete but I have since stripped a few things (such as the frequency meter) from it. Your panel seems to be missing most of the switches, and at least one meter.

scootertrs

Yes, very similar, a better quality picture might help however. The front panel I have was relatively complete but I have since stripped a few things (such as the frequency meter) from it. Your panel seems to be missing most of the switches, and at least one meter.
Thanks Peter. Looks like the meter that is missing has been missing for a while. Doing basic mechanical service stuff right now... filters, etc. Have to figure out a way to make the pump-fuel injector steel lines... these do not look like they will hold for very long. Will look further for info on the engine-would be nice to know model so I could source parts like water pump, etc. Now I am smitten. It runs so well... it merits the effort.

scootertrs

(And I can't read *p o s t s* easily because of the lack of contrast between the letters and the background!)

Peter, for once, I found a kindred soul that admits not seeing all or missing much of what is on this site... Site builders, being 20 something, have no clue that some of us "seasoned" (or better said... worn out) members cannot see the writing if you use grey letters in an OD background or a purple letter in a red background... etc, etc. My son is an IT guy, and he does the IT work for our company. He flies everything we post through me... that way, he figures that if I can see it, even that blind squirrel can find that acorn... I can still do a 1 MOA at 200 yds (from a rest of course) as long as he is wearing a contrasting towel on his head...;)

PeterD

On those injector lines: I am 99% sure I have a spare set, in good condition. PM me if you wish, I have no use for them.

On the page colors, the new version of the site is better, but not great. I teach university level, and we always require students learn that it is not only color but luminance difference that make readability. Two colors of the same luminosity almost always will be impossible to read. Either the powers at be should go for a darker background, or white letters on that green they are now using. Alas, they don't listen to me, so I'm still not as good as I should be. It is better now, however, just it could be right.

Isaac-1

While we are off the subject and talking about the new color scheme, I do agree it is easier to read, but am I the only one that finds it a bit depressing?

scootertrs

While we are off the subject and talking about the new color scheme, I do agree it is easier to read, but am I the only one that finds it a bit depressing?
Just keep repeating to yourself... I am not the only one depressed about this... I am not the only one depressed about this... etc. does not really help, but as Irving Greasemanowitz used to say... couldn't hurt!;);)

PeterD

I fear we're headed well off-topic, but at the top of every page is:
SteelSoldiers said:
There will be more things rolled out in the future (high contrast view of the site).
which gives a hint that they are aware of the issues with contrast/color of the forums...

scootertrs

I fear we're headed well off-topic, but at the top of every page is:

which gives a hint that they are aware of the issues with contrast/color of the forums...
Well Peter, thank you for steering this wandering ship back on course. I , for one, am grateful someone cares about my insufficiencies, yet as I speak, I have a habit of digressing, meandering and sometimes even forgetting what I was talking about...:popcorn: now... where was I... oh yeah, I was stoked because the genset engine is now purring and gotta figure out why it is not making juice. I need to make certain that the timer is sending the spike to the exciter coil... (wish I had the dadgum schematic or TM) or I may use a similar TM. I cannot imagine all being that different.

PeterD

Yea, back on topic!

OK, look at the various boxes (control boxes) and see if you can figure out which is the regulator. I may have one, it may work, but I don't know. Try measuring the (DC) voltage on the exciter winding on the generator head. See if you have any voltage there. I'm not sure how or if these units need to be flashed (or not).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks