• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model truck is this?

firefirefire90

Hi guys,

Okay, I got it now, very low geared.. Which from what I can remember,
would mean you need more power to push it enough to go faster then 30 mph.

Thanks,

CJ
Negative. Gearing dictates true top speed. If that truck had a 1000hp engine, it would top out the same as if it had a 30hp engine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to a for sale ad for it...

CJ
Cycle,

Just a reminder that per the site rules, we are not allowed to post links to any craigslist or ebay auctions unless they belong to us. And it has to incidental to the discussion.

Now if you just posted the picture (which is better as links break after a short time), that would be great.

From the Forum Rules:

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

I'm not sure what the military calls it either.

But it has frame mounted zf planetary axles with gear reduction and internal brakes (axles are mounted like in some tractors). It has full hydraulic steering, the 6.2 diesel, TH400, and an NP208 transfer case permanently in 4WD (I've read some say it's locked in 4-Hi some say 4-Lo). And I think they have a 22:1 axle ratio.

They reportedly weigh 12,000 lbs and have a 60,000 lb tow capacity. The front bumper and the box behind the cab are ballast weight.

So I would expect 20mph to be totally maxed out at 3600rpm. Take the huge front bumper and the rest of the ballast off and you might hit 21mph. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

For me it looks like an aircraft tow truck, slow but strong.
I know somebody who was doing these modifications on regualr (sometimes surplus) truck to fullfill the requirements of the local air port. At least the maker I know supplied some 30 vehicles of different origine to different air ports, just made custom fit to their needs (within a relatively short period of time). Most of these vehicles to my knowledege are custom made without any drawing to fit the for the local issue. So a M number is to my knowledge not available, even these "trucks" were intended for the military airfield use.
40 and more years ago these vehicles had been made by specialized makers and are still made for the civil air field ground service in more or less large numbers. The big ones (aircraft) are towed by the big ones, also custom made!
Wolf

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I removed the link, but posted the pictures in your first post. Also note, they do not have suspensions. Just a "rubber" block between the frame and axles.

Titanium Soldier

^ like he said.. Its the previous version of what we use now to tow mainly Fighter jets, though ive seen one pulling a B2 before.... not exactly smart! Slow as f*&k!!! When i was stationed in AK every winter putting chains on was ****! i swear you would be pissing blood at the end of shift if you towed all day!!!! NMC Wollard makes the newer ones, with a 12V cummins in em, tops out at 28 :driver:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks