• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What neighbors have to say about my new M1009

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Nice mail

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I should add that all the folks behind my property are cool about it.. we border a big cemetary. The Cemetary put up big fences so that they could not see my Jeeps and M105 when folks came to burry their dead. They build two mausoleums that cover over half of the property line so that is great because together with the 8 foot chain link with barbed wire top I don't have Baltimore criminals running through my yard. The police helicopters always circle about a half mile from my place where the section eight housing starts. I am hoping the property we close on the next door property soon so I can start work renevating the home and open up the 25 by 50 garage on the property.
What is it with choppers flying over out there? When I was at my Brother's place by Ft Meade we heard shots over the hill and he said it is like that almost every night and most nights they have police flying overhead.

sheesh

Blood_of_Tyrants

Re: RE: Re: RE: Nice mail

swbradley1 said:
What is it with choppers flying over out there? When I was at my Brother's place by Ft Meade we heard shots over the hill and he said it is like that almost every night and most nights they have police flying overhead.

sheesh
Do we have to spell it out? It is the "bad section of town", i.e. the projects.

Shieldwolf37

It has always amazed me the #of people who not only have time to mind thier own buisness but mine as well. I never seem to have enough time for my own.

jim-m35a2

My neighbors have not said a word. When I brought it home the end of March, they would slow down and look at it. I fired it up one Saturday and one of the guys got about 150 feet from it on the road and stood there and stared at it. He never said a word or came closer.
________
FRYING FOOD

Last edited:

Tibby

My basically rural neighbors think nothing of the M1028. It is just a pickup truck to them. I doubt they would mind something larger . . . if I could afford it multiple vehicles. Our concern was building the dome house we now live in. They had no problems with it. We are a local landmark of sorts. One of our neighbors has a kennel full of beagles, which we can sometimes hear when we are outside. No big deal. We like dogs. The same neighbor has a male donkey that likes to make noise occasionally. I never knew a donkey could be that loud. No matter how many times I have heard it, it never fails to amuse me. I don't know why. I would take the donkey and beagles over the (former) neighbor kid who cranked rap music in his high powered car stereo any day.

superburban

RE: Re: RE: What neighbors have to say about my new M1009

My neigbors complained to the ordinance enforcement officers (the wieners who couldnt make it as police officers) about my having my 2 trailers parked on my back yard. I had to scramble to find somewhere else to store them in order to avoid a fine. My wife says that if anyone complains again about anything to do with our own business, I need to go down to the local Pick N Pull and buy the stripped-downest Trans-Am and dump it on their front lawn in the middle of the night. And then for the cherry on top: pull the wheels and leave it sitting on cinder blocks!

I'd love to go over there the next day and pretend to be all pissed off and bent out of shape about it!

Gravel

RE: Re: RE: What neighbors have to say about my new M1009

I bought my Deuce from my neighbor, he still has another along with a pair of 5 tons, one is a long wheel base like an M36.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Nice mail

After a **brief** heated discussion about my right to drive on public roads (he had blocked the road with his pickup so i couldn't pass him), explaining as nicely as a Former Marine can be about the fact I hadn't stolen the truck (I emphatically and politely explained that calling me a thief would be hazardous to his health), offering to call the police FOR him (he wanted to make a report), explaining he was commiting a felony by blocking the roadway, he just asked "Well what he hell are you gonna do with it?" To which I asked him "What the hell do you do with YOUR pick-up"? He said "Anything I want". I said "Exactly". No more problems.

MDSA

On a positive note...

Last week I was able to change one neighbor's opinion of my noise maker. I had taken the Deuce to work (at 6am) and parked it on the road when I got home since I had work to do in the driveway. Just before dark I was backing the Deuce down the drive when a neigbor comes roaring around the corner, and I'm thinking "What's wrong now?" He hops out, I hop out in order to hear, and he asks if I would help pull a tree. It turns out he had a contractor coming in the morning to grade the hill behind his pool and a tree had to come down - NOW. He was afraid of hitting the house or pool or fence, so he thought of me. I was glad to help.

My 13 year old and I head over to the next street while my neighbor changes and gets his chain saw. The tree's about a 40' hickory. The fence has a gate big enough for me to fit through with the deuce. We undo some winch cable and hook a chain about 15' up in the tree. The tree has to come down between the pool and fence and miss his house and patio roof. I'm able to get the right angle and he cuts his wedge. I tighten up while he does his back cut, and down she came, not quite perfect, but nothing damaged.

He didn't want the wood, so I turned the Deuce around and got a fair amount of firewood for my effort. I didn't take any money; creating some neighborly goodwill was payment enough. Now at least one neighbor does not complain about the Deuce.

I know pics would be nice, but I was rushed and didn't grab my son's digital.

Bozor1000

RE: On a positive note...

I'm just glad that I can stash mine behind the house. It isn't visble from the street. The funny thing about where I live is that all the houses on the street are horse property. So if any one was to complain, I would tell them to keep there horses quiet and goats, chickens and would you believe that someone on my block has a peacock that just roams the neighborhood! That thing is worse than the roosters that we have. BUt the neighbors are all pretty cool where I live. Our goats just had kids so they all cry when they are hungry, especuially if the mama goats don't feed them. We also have five horses, we have a regular petting zoo. Works out great with my son and daughter.

APM215

I park my deuce in the driveway and don't care if people don't like it.
No one complains at christmas time when I stuff the cab full of kids and drive thru town. When I'm pulling a car out of a ditch in the winter no complaints their ether.

Next time your neighbor is washing their car tell them that the shine is giving you a headache.

53 GMC M215 CDN Dump
54 GMC M220 CDN Shop Van
42 GMC Spot light truck.

Attachments

Croatan_Kid

I've only ever seen two other MVs in my area besides mine (M1008 on 11.00R-16s with 4" of lift). Rottiedog's (M1009) and one sitting in an empty lot for a few years behind a local company (also M1009).

Most people are very interested in my truck. I work on MCAS Cherry Point, NC and the guys at the gates usually ask questions. I also get attention from my front license plate, but that's another story.

Just this past Monday I got stopped coming in the front gate and one of the guys asked where and how he could get one. So I told him about GL and mentioned this site. They were also pretty interested in the LAV tires I run :D The week before an older guy waved me down in the parking lot of the comessary and asked about the paint job, where I got it and how/where he could get one for his Cherokee. I told him the Army did it for me and that just kinda confused him until I explained it's history.

Nobody says crap about it being parked at my house..........except my dad. It's only in his way when he needs to mow the side-yard where I park. :lol: Funny thing is, he's too short to get in it! Other than that, I'm good on parking. We have a hair under 10 acres.

AlexT

My neighbours have been accustomed to my vehicles. But at the gas station I often be asked " do you like war ?".
You'll also asked stupid like this ?

Greetz from Germany

Alex

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Alex, maybe nothing quite so bold but I've gotten plenty of stupid comments and looks from the artsy fartsy/college dorks/left of Stalin crowd up here.

Then I park next to their hybrid and scare them that I'll ding it.

No.2Diesel

---Nice Collection Alex T. Even VeeDub's got a 3 color job [thumbzup] You need to add something Groß to your fleet!!

Recently I had my first "negative" reaction to my Deuce. I've had plenty of scrunched faces and fingers in ears but this was a little different. More an environmental thing than a military thing. As I lumbered down the street from my home a woman doing her afternoon "power walk" was strutting towards me at a distance. She started to pinch her nose in an exaggerated manner and held that pose as I slowly drove by. I just smiled and waved. It's always better to just ignore someone's negativity then to escalate something that's not worth your time or trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I should have done is: pull over, walk up to her pinching my nose and say: "well ma'am, I can smell your C*** from a mile away" :wink: You can't please everyone.

Blood_of_Tyrants

AJMBLAZER said:
Alex, maybe nothing quite so bold but I've gotten plenty of stupid comments and looks from the artsy fartsy/college dorks/left of Stalin crowd up here.

Then I park next to their hybrid and scare them that I'll ding it.

Actually, they are probably scared you will run over their little greenie car.

AlexT

The M1008 is from my buddy Falco.
We push the M1009 without Engine into my workshop.

I must convince my wife that a Deuce is very convenient for our family :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks