• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what one to get?

convert or not

• Total voters
I want to get a h.m.m.w.v. soon and I'm not sure what one to get.
I have wanted a slant back since i was twelve years old, but they seem to be going for about $27,000.
Then there's the 10% transaction fee, sales tax (Pennsylvania 6%) and shipping (Georgia-Pennsylvania) $1400-$2000 depending on priority.
I would like to get one for around $20,000 with x doors.
$20,000+$2,000(fee)+$1,200(tax)+$1,700(shipping)+$75(sf97&bill of sale)=$25,000.
Then there's the cost of getting it titled for on "thou shalt not speak of" use.
Or I could get a four door soft top and convert it.
There're a few around me going for $15,000-$20,000 with
Pennsylvania
titles and a helmet top for $25,000 without a title.
Dose anyone know if all of the parts are readily available to do this type of conversion? I figured $10,000-$15,000 based on the parts i could find (roof, sponsons, hatch, windshield frame x doors and some brackets)
I'm thinking it might just be worth it to get one from govplanet, instead of tracking down parts for an conversion
thanks

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid th e use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
How about you just study a thing you want, long time GI?
You just asked a question of the most learned people.
If money is no object then I will be happy to sell you a
really nice one of whatever it is you want,
for more money than I have.
But you can not title that one either.

Or how about the last good 9C1?
Got that too.

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.
You should see what people type on ls1tech. They make that post look like collage level English.

Last edited:
nope, not a gi. I want a slant back, but I'm not sure what is the easiest and cheapest way to get one. I'm 30 and an automotive tech so money is an object, but I am very good at saving money to get what I want. What is a 9c1? I googled it and came up with a fmk or a gm police package code.

BLK HMMWV

Before I spent a dollar I'd tell you to spend more time then money checking to make sure you will be able to drive it on the street.
If you live in PA. and have an opportunity to buy one already plated in PA then you may be way ahead of the curve. Notice I said plated not just titled. does the one your looking at have plates already or just a title.
Good luck finding a truck from GP with X doors let alone an intact turret support for 20K.
The words easiest and cheapest don't go together regarding a slant back HMMWV .
BH

JoeJrTheBarber

My 2 cents..
I bought a solid / good running truck I could afford, and now am in the process of sourcing parts to make it exactly how I want.
Bought a M998 4 man soft top, and slowly turning into a 4 man hardtop with X doors.
So, buy a solid base and take some time making it into what you want..

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I spent a dollar I'd tell you to spend more time then money checking to make sure you will be able to drive it on the street.
If you live in PA. and have an opportunity to buy one already plated in PA then you may be way ahead of the curve. Notice I said plated not just titled. does the one your looking at have plates already or just a title.
Good luck finding a truck from GP with X doors let alone an intact turret support for 20K.
The words easiest and cheapest don't go together regarding a slant back HMMWV .
BH
Even plated is questionable with the growing number of states recalling titles and plates.

There were 4 for sale one had a plate and an inspection sticker that you could see in the pics, one has a plate that is mostly covered and an inspection sticker you can see and 2 have inspection stickers you can see. In pa you need an on road title to get an registration and you need an registration to get an inspection sticker.
Most of them have the smooth doors but there were 8 with x doors that sold for under $26,000. The center of the turret supports are removed, then the b pillars are bolted together.
I have talked to a title clerk about the situation with these vehicles and they weren't sure so they called penndot then told me its no big deal. Which goes against everything I have herd. I have also emailed 6 people that have got them on the road in pa, but no one responded.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

x doors with supplemental skins (1st gen armor) look smooth on the outside of the door however you still see the X on the inside.
If they aren't those they are soft doors .

With patience you might find all the missing parts to the turret support piece by piece.
figure an additional 10k above what ever you pay for the basic soft top .

desmodromic

PA allows for titling and registration if the Humvee conforms ( bumpers, reverse lights, etc.).

My suggestion is to get the best Humvee you can afford and worry about the accessories later. The best auction trucks available right now are M1045A2s. 6.5/4L80e. A2 components. While the GA 1045s seem tempting because they sell with the x doors, IMHO they are pretty beat up. In my opinion, the best option is to buy an M1045A2 out of CA that has gone through a recent reset/rebuild. This will be noted on the data plate. I have one and it is mint - only 7 miles since a 2012 Limited A reset.

It will run you another $5-7K to collect a turret, turret support and c pillar sponson bar , but that can happen later. In the meantime, you are still rolling around in a slantback. X doors are getting pricey, but I am sure more will hit the market again when the demil/crush process picks up again.

As far as shipping goes, the farther you ship, the cheaper the mileage rate. I paid $1050 to ship a Humvee fron CA to NY and the same amount to ship from GA to NY.

Lastly, it often ends up costing more to “upgrade” an M998 then to just buy what you want in the first place.

YMMV

I had a feeling that they were some type of up armored doors.
I have only been looking for a month, and saw some turret parts and slant back parts but I wasn't sure how common they were. When I first started looking there was a full hard top with turret for I think $8,000.

PA allows for titling and registration if the Humvee conforms ( bumpers, reverse lights, etc.).
My suggestion is to get the best Humvee you can afford and worry about the accessories later. The best auction trucks available right now are M1045A2s. 6.5/4L80e. A2 components. While the GA 1045s seem tempting because they sell with the x doors, IMHO they are pretty beat up. In my opinion, the best option is to buy an M1045A2 out of CA that has gone through a recent reset/rebuild. This will be noted on the data plate. I have one and it is mint - only 7 miles since a 2012 Limited A reset.
It will run you another $5-7K to collect a turret, turret support and c pillar sponson bar , but that can happen later. In the meantime, you are still rolling around in a slantback. X doors are getting pricey, but I am sure more will hit the market again when the demil/crush process picks up again.
As far as shipping goes, the farther you ship, the cheaper the mileage rate. I paid $1050 to ship a Humvee fron CA to NY and the same amount to ship from GA to NY.
Lastly, it often ends up costing more to “upgrade” an M998 then to just buy what you want in the first place.
YMMV
It just throws you through a loop when every one is like "o my god, o my god" then the dmv says ya is easy.
The doors is what got me looking at the GA ones and the fact that CA is 3,000 miles away. I assumed the shipping would be 3X the amount.
That's how it normally is, better to get what you want then swap stuff. I wanted to check with people that have been in the hmmwv scene for a wile. Since I have only been looking in to this for 2 months
I have always wanted an h1 but knew I never could afford one:cry:. Then I heard about the government surplus hmmwv :-D.
thanks for the info and advise.

319cssb

Buy a HMMWV with a title already.
You can't afford a H1 but think you can afford a HMMWV? That's interesting.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all your after is the look, then buy a cheap m998 and convert it, if you want an authentic slantback, buy it at the auctions. Either way....you will be hard pressed to find a few of the critical parts needed to build up a kit, or make the GP truck whole again after they demilled the most important parts from the turret and roof assy.
Personally...my Check list is a simple one on buying trucks, buy a truck that has a solid mechanical foundation, body condition is 2nd.

You can't afford a H1 but think you can afford a HMMWV? That's interesting.
and I thought I was a newbie
I'm not worried about a getting/making a "numbers matching" one. I just like the look of the slant back, having a turret would be cool though.
What are the parts that are hard to find? iv seen roofs, sponsons, hatches, turret supports, b pillar covers, windshield frames, the brackets for the sponsons and a c pillar

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks