• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what one to get?

convert or not

• Total voters

desmodromic

and I thought I was a newbie
I'm not worried about a getting/making a "numbers matching" one. I just like the look of the slant back, having a turret would be cool though.
What are the parts that are hard to find? iv seen roofs, sponsons, hatches, turret supports, b pillar covers, windshield frames, the brackets for the sponsons and a c pillar
Turret supports are the hardest item to find, and I do not expect to see it change any time soon, if ever. There are plenty of turrets out there if you look hard enough and retiredwarhorses is selling a very nice repro c pillar.

tomelroy

I would buy a clean slant back kit first (with turret support ring, bearing, hatch, c-pillar, hatch, sponsons, etc). This is the rarest part(s). Make sure the kit doesn't have severe rust issues. Then take your time picking the perfect truck to convert. Buy a 2 door truck. You can get one for less than a 4 door and you will not need any of the 4 door soft top parts anyway.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

and I thought I was a newbie
I'm not worried about a getting/making a "numbers matching" one. I just like the look of the slant back, having a turret would be cool though.
What are the parts that are hard to find? iv seen roofs, sponsons, hatches, turret supports, b pillar covers, windshield frames, the brackets for the sponsons and a c pillar
You nailed the parts but left off the doors. What makes them hard to find nowadays is you can't buy them new off the shelf.
Most of the stuff gets chopped up before GL can sell them. Probably the hardest part is the turret support and related pieces.
Guys on the east coast want stuff from west coast trucks and visa versa.
The parts are out there but becoming harder to find .

BH

BLK HMMWV

your frame rails are susceptible to rust. Roll around on a creeper tapping on them with a hammer listening.
Check out the second sticky in the HMMWV section.
You will find some useful info there.
BH

Last edited:

tomelroy

On the kits look at all of the seams on the roof, sponsons, and hatch to handle area. Also inside the roof above the doors. The weapons tray and support. A little surface rust is ok, just stay away from rot.

tomelroy

if you just want the look of a slant back and don't really need a turret, checkout black dog custom fiberglass slantback kit. That looks amazing and would be overall fairly cheap if you found a nice 6500 truck to put it on.

snowtrac nome

After almost 3 years in south Korea, the slant back with a weapons station isn't any dryer than a soft top which makes it a fair weather machine. unless you don't mind cold water dripping on you through the bearing. If its what you want good luck, I would love a m998, but the state of Alaska wont allow it to be driven on state maintained roads. which leaves me with m-37,715 or cucv for smaller vehicles. Always liked the light little m151 to that would be a cool rig to go explore old mining roads on a warm summer day.

ill have to check that out BH thanks
The black dog stuff dose look nice. It would be neat to see what it looks like on the inside, but I cant find any pics.
There was an coming soon section on black dog customs site that said they are coming out with authentic military x doors.
Hopefully they are "exact copies". I think some of the knock off x doors look like crap.
I found this thread to help with turret leaks https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145764-Turret-Leak-Fix-Materials
Its really dumb that some states don't allow these on the road. If you put a hummer and a hmmwv that were the same color next to each other these lawmakers wouldn't know what one is street legal and what one is not.

Action

ill have to check that out BH thanks
The black dog stuff dose look nice. It would be neat to see what it looks like on the inside, but I cant find any pics.
There was an coming soon section on black dog customs site that said they are coming out with authentic military x doors.
Hopefully they are "exact copies". I think some of the knock off x doors look like crap.
I found this thread to help with turret leaks https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145764-Turret-Leak-Fix-Materials
Its really dumb that some states don't allow these on the road. If you put a hummer and a hmmwv that were the same color next to each other these lawmakers wouldn't know what one is street legal and what one is not.
There are a couple interior pics of the 4-man on page 3.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?176040-Black-Dog-Customs-Hardtop/page3

dohabandit

Does anyone have any info on states that are revoking title/plates?

I live in FL and I have had a M1025 HMMWV since the United Defense auction and I have a regular on-road DOT registration and plates.
It concerns me that they are now flooding the street with DRMO trucks that have "off road only" EUC's and people are buying these up and going to cause problems for all the responsible owners that have been VERY CAREFUL not to ruin a good thing.

Plus, I paid a lot more than $5k for my truck. If some yahoo comes along and runs his $5k truck into a police car or something, I fear the worst.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks