• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What PTO is this?

jime

I needed a PTO to add a winch to my Deuce. I got this one but notice it looks a little different than other winch PTOs in the threads. Will it work?

Attachments

davey8943

Jime,

You definitely don't have a WN-7-28 (The Spicer PTO for the Deuce winch).

The flange looks like it has a different bolt pattern than the correct one. The bolt pattern on the M35 has six bolts. Two on two sides and one on each of the other two sides. The cover and the transmission to pto flange are the same. I pasted a picture from the TM for the transmissions (TM9-2520-246-34).

If a real picture would help, I have one in pieces on my work bench right now...

If you need the TM I would be happy to email it to you...

I have absolutely no idea what that pto would work with! I am sure someone around here knows!

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

jime

Bolt pattern looks right, but that doesnt mean it's for a deuce. Here's a better pic. I'll have to check the TM that you list. The one I was using had winch replacement, but no real pics of the PTO. I don't have the TM number right now but I'll check out the one you've listed.

Any more ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

spicergear

The bolt pattern will be standard as I think it's like an SAE design with only a couple different patterns available. The helix angle of that one gear is important. I looked high and low for a civvy unit and most of them had the helix of what I needed opposite direction. Anyone with a pto on the truck handy? Can you take a look to see if the PTO shaft comes out of the top of the PTO or the bottom drop? This one, if aimed forward would come out of the top of the unit. If it's backwards from normal, ie; out the top instead of bottom, the driveshaft may not fit the notch out in the bell.

jime

The pic I uploaded is hard to see than my original. The PTO is made by Arrow Gear Company in Broken Arrow, OK. The SN is 7051049 and the Model No is SHD7 2B.
Problably the best bet is to find out what its for and find it a home, then get the right one.

KsM715

Anyone with a pto on the truck handy? Can you take a look to see if the PTO shaft comes out of the top of the PTO or the bottom drop?
It comes out of the top. (best I could do in a hurry, later when it dries out a little I'll climb up under and get some numbers and more detailed pics.)

Attachments

Last edited:

KsM715

Gee most be nice to have too wait for it to drie out.

:p

I have not seen rain in a looong time. Grass is brown and the trees are truning fast.:sad:

We had a nice thunderstorm blow thru this morning. I have never been happy being woken up at 4:30am, until this morning. It sounded wonderfull :smile:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The helix angle of that one gear is important. I looked high and low for a civvy unit and most of them had the helix of what I needed opposite direction. Anyone with a pto on the truck handy? ............
Also, that's a LH helix gear there. What we need to fit our 3052/ 3053 trannys is a RH helix cut.

G.

Attachments

jime

Also, that's a LH helix gear there. What we need to fit our 3052/ 3053 trannys is a RH helix cut.
Okay, so all I gotta do is flip the tranny around the other way, right?
Seriously....don't answer that!

Any clues to what it goes to?

...and I gotta find the right one!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and I gotta find the right one!
TNJ Murray had good takeouts for $250. I bought one awhile back and was the best price I've found. May want to check and see if they still have any.

spicergear

Do they have an NP203 or NP205? If they have them, then they would have a pto port on the transfer case. The factory TH400 trans does not. That being said, I have no idea whether the gear would match up or not.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks for the pic. Definitly different. Have to see if the gearing lines up.

This is listed as a Deuce PTO, but it lloks different, too.
M35, 2 1/2 Ton PTO (power takeoff)Trucks NEW Military | eBay
If you got that pto from this listing you posted, I would contact them and see what they will do to make things right. The pto you got, and the one in the auction are different. The one listed looks right. Maybe they will swap them at no cost to you. I have been very happy with Teds Trucks when I dealt with them.
If that isn't where you got the pto, nevermind.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Yes, all np203 and np205 t-cases have pto ports as well as the sm465 tranny that comes in any 73 to 91 chevy pickup. The sm465 has two pto ports, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

jime

If you got that pto from this listing you posted, I would contact them and see what they will do to make things right. The pto you got, and the one in the auction are different. The one listed looks right. Maybe they will swap them at no cost to you. I have been very happy with Teds Trucks when I dealt with them.
If that isn't where you got the pto, nevermind.
Gimp, no I got this one at the Mid-Ohio show at Cardinal. I was told by the Gypsie that sold it to me that it was for a Deuce. I can't complain, I didn't pay a whole lot for it, and then there's that "buyer beware" thing. If I can find what it goes to, I think I can get my $$$ out of it. Besides, I learn best by trial and error!

jime

Yes, all np203 and np205 t-cases have pto ports as well as the sm465 tranny that comes in any 73 to 91 chevy pickup. The sm465 has two pto ports, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.
Thanks Indy. I'll move it to that forum and see if anyone bites.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks