• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what route does outside hot air comes into the cabin?

als804

my AC never stop due to hot air coming into the cabin.
there are so many humidity and hot air in the summer season of Korea
i can certainly feel hot air coming in under the dash when i put the heater lever on the "off" position
the more drive speeds the more hot air comes in
So i am trying to find the air route to block
my guess is the below picture.
----------------------------my guess when blower - on ---------------------------------------
first outside hot air goes through vents under the window to the blower fan.
second blower fan forces air through the heater core into the cabin

when blower is off and high speed, outside hot air could even pass fan and then hot air comes in .
-------------------------
is this my guess the true?
any experience?

thanks.

this picture from somewhere of steelsoldiers.com
air Route.jpg

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my AC never stop due to hot air coming into the cabin.
there are so many humidity and hot air in the summer season of Korea
i can certainly feel hot air coming in under the dash when i put the heater lever on the "off" position
the more drive speeds the more hot air comes in
So i am trying to find the air route to block
my guess is the below picture.
----------------------------my guess when blower - on ---------------------------------------
first outside hot air goes through vents under the window to the blower fan.
second blower fan forces air through the heater core into the cabin

when blower is off and high speed, outside hot air could even pass fan and then hot air comes in .
-------------------------
is this my guess the true?
any experience?

thanks.

View attachment 842115
Looks like you answered your own question, seal up the holes on your firewall should help a lot. I have never seen a CUCV like that before. That is quite a plumbing job on that fuel filter.

CSandoz

i could be mistaken, but i believe they make a block off plate specifically for that location on the firewall. its usually used when deleting a heater core or retrofitting an under dash climate control system.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i could be mistaken, but i believe they make a block off plate specifically for that location on the firewall. its usually used when deleting a heater core or retrofitting an under dash climate control system.
I like my heater core, comes in real handy in the winter. I lived in Louisiana for 6 months at Fort Polk. 3 months basic training 3 months Infantry training. Nice country. You can make your own block off plate, does not need to be the exact shape. just block off the holes. Seal around the plate, use some sheet metal self tapping screws.

Last edited:

CSandoz

I like my heater core comes in real handy in the winter. I lived in Louisiana for 6 months at Fort Polk. 3 months basic training 3 months Infantry training. Nice country.
yea i like mine too when the temp drops. it can be nice out here, but man it gets damn hot some times!

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea i like mine too when the temp drops. it can be nice out here, but man it gets damn hot some times!
The humidity is what will get ya! When I stepped off a turbo propped plane flying into Fort Polk, I didn't think I could breath and live there, it was so humid. After having a drill sgt. in your grill, for some reason the humidity didn't seem to bother you anymore.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a rear window A/C unit in this truck? How are you getting A/C in the cab?
Window Air Conditioner in the back of a camper pickup truck Stock Photo -  Alamy

AC not working in your truck? Mount a window AC unit on it.:  redneckengineering
Your truck has no fender or apron. It also appears that the wheel is off the right side. Do you drive it with the fender missing?
That looks like a good idea! Now if I could just find a long enough extension cord to drive around town.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks like a good idea! Now if I could just find a long enough extension cord to drive around town.
Well.... You are in California. If you happened to be in SanFran, the city buses and cable cars have power overhead. If you could get yourself a Trolley Pole and put it on top of the truck - you could have AC in a big way :cool:

Keith_J

Hot coolant constantly circulates in the heater core. The draft door is supposed to block air flow but after 30 plus years, they leak.
You can try fixing this or you can install a coolant control valve. I did both.

I used a 12 volt powered stainless steel ball valve and a double pole, double throw momentary switch as a position control switch. The valve has full closed and full open switches, I used an indicating switch to see valve position.
It takes 5 seconds from full open to full closed so this also controls heater output.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well.... You are in California. If you happened to be in SanFran, the city buses and cable cars have power overhead. If you could get yourself a Trolley Pole and put it on top of the truck - you could have AC in a big way :cool:
Please don't depress me with San Francisco or California. Sept. 15 is the recall election for Gov. Newsom . Larry Elder is leading by double digits. We may all be driving electric vehicles if Biden and Newsom get their way. Might be moving to a free state soon. My two brothers live in your state Denver North Carolina. Wherever I go it will be near to some great fishing.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hot coolant constantly circulates in the heater core. The draft door is supposed to block air flow but after 30 plus years, they leak.

I used a 12 volt powered stainless steel ball valve and a double pole, double throw momentary switch as a position control switch. The valve has full closed and full open switches, I used an indicating switch to see valve position.
It takes 5 seconds from full open to full closed so this also controls heater output.
That is a pretty hot setup, and it's cool too!

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That is a hot setup, and it's cool too! Sorry for the double post.

als804

lol thanks for all inputs.
sadly i can't do blockoff plate. this winter season of Korea is also so so cold ( -10~-30 Celcius degree )
i am trying to make my AC efficiency better, i already installed the valves of input, outuput heatcore. but i can fell still hot air coming into. so i was wondering what route hot air comes in.
i already blocked all holes as possible as i can do. but a lot still remains. the next plan is trying to seal flap of heater core indicated green in the picture.

anyway, i can feel a lot of heat on the firewall in the engine room. somebody does make engine room vent? i guess my engine heat make metals around engine room so hot. it's hard to touch even inside fender.

1628733776557.png

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sadly i can't do blockoff plate. this winter season of Korea is also so so cold ( -10~-30 Celcius degree )
i am trying to make my AC efficiency better, i already installed the valves of input, outuput heatcore. but i can fell still hot air coming into. so i was wondering what route hot air comes in.
i already blocked all holes as possible as i can do. but a lot still remains. the next plan is trying to seal flap of heater core indicated green in the picture.

anyway, i can feel a lot of heat on the firewall in the engine room. somebody does make engine room vent? i guess my engine heat make metals around engine room so hot. it's hard to touch even inside fender.

View attachment 842183
Yes check the heat cold blend door in the heater core box...the cable has to be adjusted so it closes completely or hot air from the cowl will get forced in while driving...the hot fire wall can be helped by a spray on stuff called lizard skin...I am not sure if you can get that there but it works wonders on keeping the heat out! They sell a kit with the paint gun and product the sprays on like paint...it's like the goo you stick your hand in and can't feel a torch on your hand...some kind of space stuff...not that expensive and works...I have used it in some classic cars over the years...they make a sound deadoning coat as well so if you do both it really cuts down on everything.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 842183
Yes check the heat cold blend door in the heater core box...the cable has to be adjusted so it closes completely or hot air from the cowl will get forced in while driving...the hot fire wall can be helped by a spray on stuff called lizard skin...I am not sure if you can get that there but it works wonders on keeping the heat out! They sell a kit with the paint gun and product the sprays on like paint...it's like the goo you stick your hand in and can't feel a torch on your hand...some kind of space stuff...not that expensive and works...I have used it in some classic cars over the years...they make a sound deadoning coat as well so if you do both it really cuts down on everything.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please don't depress me with San Francisco or California. Sept. 15 is the recall election for Gov. Newsom . Larry Elder is leading by double digits. We may all be driving electric vehicles if Biden and Newsom get their way. Might be moving to a free state soon. My two brothers live in your state Denver North Carolina. Wherever I go it will be near to some great fishing.
Best I can say about california is that I 'm sorry. Wish it was better. Sad thing is a LOT of things that aren't very good come from there and make their way here. I may have said before, I think we need to consider tossing ALL the bums (politicians) OUT and start over.

If you make it over here to North Carolina, Denver is about 40 minutes up the road from here. Lots of lake fishing to be done, boats to be on out there too. About an hour north will get you to the foothills of the mountains and maybe 20 degrees cooler weather most of the time. About 2 or 3 hours (pick your direction) to the east will get you into the salt water and sand.

:cool: Hopefully something good will happen soon. There are "those people" in that little "district" in Virginia who seem to be steadily causing trouble.

They have "Name" and R - or - "Name" and D - or - "Name" and I.
Maybe we could come up with something new.
Possibly "Name" and "S". with the S meaning Stoooopid.

Gotta have some sort of fun with all this.
The alternative is much less pleasant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks