• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's all the fuss about?

Blacksmoke

I keep my deuce in my father-in-law's barn, which isn't far from my house. Don't drive it too often, especially in the winter, but try to get it out once in awhile. Was watching some deuce videos on Youtube & got the fever to drive it. So I brought it to the house to pull some PM's & drive it to work tomorrow. Then I got to wondering, why do we like these things so much?

1. They are noisy, enough to damage hearing on a long trip.
2. They are uncomfortable, hard to get into, & it's a good thing I'm not 6'6" tall.
3. They are cold in the winter unless you have a heater (probably still cold), & hot in the summer, with all that heat coming off the floorboard.
4. They are drafty - I can look around the cab & see light everywhere.
5. They are not economical to drive - don't even want to know what the fuel mileage is, & dread doing an oil change.
6. They are not easy to drive, with Armstrong power steering, an outlandish turning radius, & brakes that could be better.
7. You have to try to stay on the truck routes in town, & you can't park just anywhere.
8. They are rattly, & it's a wonder the thing stays together with all that engine vibration. And it takes a few miles for the tires to smooth out when it's cold.
9. They are not environmentally friendly, smoking like a locomotive.
10. But in spite of all this, they are just cool to have.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an every day vechicle. But sure is fun to get out and drive. Seems mine get used for work more than a toy lately.

Dennis

Billy Bobbed

A few months ago I had no though to buy one.But I was on Ebay looking around,I stumbled on a website C&C equipment, he had a bobbed deuce on Ebay.I go what the h**l is that.I could not stop coming back to that page.I said I have to have one.He was about 70 miles from me,So I went to his place and bought my deuce and trailer.Now it is bobbed, love it.I cant explain it either.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a certain appeal to a vehicle that, when designed, driver comfort was the absolute last consideration on the list. These have to be one of the most interchangable vehicles ever to roam the earth too.

saddamsnightmare

December 13th, 2009.

From a man who owned a 1955 General Motors EMD GP-9 (Penn Central 7049), a bunch of railroad cars and a near miss on a 1948 107' long 195 ton ocean going tugboat, they are the nearest thing you can get to all of the above, built like a tank (sounds pretty much like one too) and safer then houses when you tangle with a fool car driver (safe for me....not the idiot that causes the wreck). I use mine daily, it does give you a certain notariety, and if you're single (I'm not) , its a bigger chick magnet then Tiger Woods:twisted: (I couldn't resist). And it will do work no other civillian SUV can even think of....:-D

What other reason do you need to drive one...Oh, and they are so green when you're burning WMO!!! Historical Too!!!!!:razz:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Why I own my deuce (and other big MV's).

(1) It is different.

(2) It reminds me of the days of my misspent youth.

(3) It is a very safe vehicle for me to drive.

(4) I can make most of my fuel.

(5) Stupid people only pull out in front of you once (that air horn thing).

(6) You can make extra money hauling things (unless you are doing it for your similarly
addicted friends).

(7) People invite you to be in their parades.

(8) A lot of folks realize that these vehicles are veterans (just like us flesh and blood vets)
and respect them for it.

(9) You meet a lot of interesting folks who want to know why you have them.

(10) Because this is the greatest country in the world and I can own them.

PorscheTech911

(1) It is different.

(6) You can make extra money hauling things (unless you are doing it for your similarly
addicted friends).

(8) A lot of folks realize that these vehicles are veterans (just like us flesh and blood vets)
and respect them for it.

For those of us who don't have them yet I want to steal this as the reason why we drool over all your vehicles and dream every night about having our own. Warms my heart to see one anywhere anytime :D

Heavysteven

I purchased mine for the following reasons.
1. Looks
2. I love the sound
3. Thats shock and aww factor i expect to get out of the inlaws.
4. Goal in life to own a large truck by 30. Firgure a M35A2 has more character than a CXT(which i can not afford)

All this talk is going to make me lose sleep because i am stilling waiting to pick mine up.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. "Awe" factor. And it can pick up chicks, I plan to extensively test this theory just to be sure. :p
2. Its a road beast. You can use and abuse it yet she will still be ready to go. If you are in a lane it is YOUR lane and others tend to respect that. (I say tend loosely)
3. Safety..yeah in a way. But having the knowledge that anything short of a semi hitting you will do little to you. And if the other person tries anything in court just ask how they missed a "9+ foot tall 12K+ lb giant smoking green noisy metal beast", that would clear up a lot of doubt.
4. The capabilities of the deuce in general: moving, towing, pulling, crushing, its endless..
5. Its an American icon!!
6. Incase of zombie invasion (haha rofl)

Monty

(1) It is different.

addicted friends).

and respect them for it.

You got to love #10, I couldn't agree more.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
All of the above and where else could you get a 33,000 lb truck that runs like a Rolex for less than $2800. Now these trucks are like oysters, sushi, sake, beer and cigars. They grow on you and the taste improves over the years.

rlwm211

I agree with all of the above reasons!

I drove by the local middle school in a nearby town when the kiddies are being let out and all the crossing guard could do is look and stare. The kids thought it was kool!

I sold a Corvette last year to buy my truck and wonder now, why I did not do it sooner.

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks