• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's going on? - Server Upgrade

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a plan..... Will it also cure the overheating of my M37?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After all this it dang well better be able to capitalize the first letter of a sentence and stamp the end with a period. Crappy grammar bores the heck out of me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
File copy is done, running rsync now as a test. I'll probably be taking the forum down today for a little while, long enough to get a database backup.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly it'll be later on this day IF I get to that point. I forgot I also still need to confirm a few other file structures as well. (On my other machine at my office) That won't happen until later this afternoon. (Church, Lunch with mother/family).

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good, I have enough time to shoot swiss a PM........... Look for it Swiss

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was able to pull mysqldumps from the database no problem today with everything still up. No further outages planned until later into this process. I'm going to have to manually clean up the openads (GL, banner ads, exc.) database and shrink it's database way down to get things manageable.

3dAngus

Honestly it'll be later on this day IF I get to that point. I forgot I also still need to confirm a few other file structures as well. (On my other machine at my office) That won't happen until later this afternoon. (Church, Lunch with mother/family).
You have a Mother?

I thought you were born out of "Space Odysey 2001".

...and all this time, I was thinking a young Hal 9000 bequeathed by the monoliths.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and an update, other supporting file structures moved. Also have backups of the databases I'm concerned with. They're moved over to the new server now. I'm going to set these databases up to restore and walk away from them tonight. (It'll be a while, and since it's on the non-production server, I don't have to watch the "paint dry".)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT WORK!!! You are an AWESOME SysAdmin!! I appreciate your dedication to keeping Steel Soldiers online with minimal outages! I'm also VERY thankful that you are moving the site to a VM. [thumbzup]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for all the hard work, Drew. I am certainly glad to be bidding farewell to our old box. It served us well for a while, but this VM will certainly up the reliability and expandability!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok I must admit, I've been slacking today. Left the house for work at 5:30am and got home about 30mins ago. I've got a pounding headache right now and I'm not feeling up to starting the database cleanup of the openads system. My plan tomorrow is to get the remote access to the databases up and clean up that database tomorrow. I honestly have no idea what I'm in for. Just that the database is over 20gb on it's own. (And should only be maybe a gig or two IMO) Tomorrow will be interesting...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ok I must admit, I've been slacking today. Left the house for work at 5:30am and got home about 30mins ago. I've got a pounding headache right now and I'm not feeling up to starting the database cleanup of the openads system. My plan tomorrow is to get the remote access to the databases up and clean up that database tomorrow. I honestly have no idea what I'm in for. Just that the database is over 20gb on it's own. (And should only be maybe a gig or two IMO) Tomorrow will be interesting...
Tell ya what Brother, just give me admin status for tomorrow and I'll get the remote access thingy linked to the thingamagig and then re-route opengonads to the contraindicator band and then flush out the tribles.

When you come back on line all should be easy sailing (or not)!:papabear:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How could anyone resist such a generous offer?

Thanks for all your hard work Drew!
I for one really appreciate it.
Bruce

zout

That's why I am here EMD - Patracy first ya need to learn to type so it goes quicker - then (after coming today to pick up my hammer) just smack that little black box a few times into submission and you should have it all jiggled around. AHHHH I am thinking now your leaning to wanting PB's help instead of mine. That's OK bro - I handle rejection well.imagesCARWY117.jpguntitled.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks