• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's going on? - Server Upgrade

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Databases moved and in a humming state today. I've got to get apache configured for the site to start testing it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
New webserver is up, it's talking to the database. I'm seeing posts there. I still have to sort out openads as that's dead in the water. Also I've got a little bit of an issue. Since the database backup I took has steelsoldiers.com as the domain in the sites settings. When I try logging into the new server by it's IP, it's kicking me back here. I'm having to call in help on this since I'm afraid this will result in the fix being a database entry change. (I think I've found where it's held, but I'm not going to touch it until I know 100%)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I found a little blurb on how someone else resolved this issue. But..... I'll have to take the live site down for a small window to change the settings and grab a backup. I'm going to see if there's another way though.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the advice I was given costed us some downtime to live and I had to revert back to a database backup. UGH! We're running about 3hrs in the past now, so if you posted after 8:15-ish this AM, the posts were lost. Sorry.

212sparky

Well, the advice I was given costed us some downtime to live and I had to revert back to a database backup. UGH! We're running about 3hrs in the past now, so if you posted after 8:15-ish this AM, the posts were lost. Sorry.
If that is all it cost us that is pretty good. I have an Email server that is about to become target practice since it has not worked for going on 1.5 weeks. My network Admins job is on the line if he cant get it fixed by Friday. Keep up the good work!!!![thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:lost:Drew, I wish you would speak the common man's English, but whatever you are doing, I sure appreciate it.:beer:
Ok, I'll translate.

Someone told me I could change something on our current server and copy the database. Then I could use the copy on the new server. Little did they inform me, that doing that would break the live server. It made me grumpy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, another update! I've gotten the redirect issue resolved and the new server is running from a backup of our production server from ~2pm est today. Now I've got to work out all the details of the openads system, config the mailer system, and we should be ready to swap.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you get the openads and mailer systems functioning, are you planning an outage on the production server so you can grab a final copy of the database without it being modified during duplication?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After you get the openads and mailer systems functioning, are you planning an outage on the production server so you can grab a final copy of the database without it being modified during duplication?
Yup, that's the plan. Final downtime will be to take a snapshot of the database, ftp it over, change DNS to the new server IP, wait, drink some coffee, wait some more, check on DNS, wait, get another cup of coffee, wait, check facebook, check on DNS, wait longer, go outside and tinker on something, come back and check DNS, check my email, notice DNS finally starting to update, then bring the site back live.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well good news and bad news. Good news, got a successful email from the new server. Bad news, openads didn't port over like it should. We've got two roads to take on that front now. I'm awaiting Chris on which direction to move on that.

Sooo, we're getting closer!

zout

all them switches and those flippy things you have to do - plug in plug out - reminds me of this movie - HEY - your avatar could be the Dr. Will we be able to hear you scream "Its Alive" "its Alive"imagesCAXI8T39.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really want to get this done before the rally. Unfortunately that also means the SEMTT will not be there. But this is more important!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well good news and bad news. Good news, got a successful email from the new server. Bad news, openads didn't port over like it should. We've got two roads to take on that front now. I'm awaiting Chris on which direction to move on that.

Sooo, we're getting closer!
Chris has given me direction.

So I've installed openX on the new server for the ads. On call hasn't been pleasant for me this week. (7 calls last night, I'm a bit groggy today) I'm going to at least pull the ad banners images I need today/tonight and start moving them over to the server. I'll have to check if a script we use for the GL ads can be used/tweaked into working. I'm going to leave it be for now though. I've got a funeral viewing to head to shortly.

Anyone know how to get about 48hrs out of a day?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks