• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the best glow plug for the cucv

m1garand_man

I just bought some diesel RX plugs that are garbage. they bearly get hot enough to start the engine at 50*f. They replaced some AC 13G's that were over 2 years old and still did a better job starting the truck than the new ones I bought.

I am looking to replace them but I want to get it right this time. I am wondering what is the very best plug you can get for the 6.2l I'm looking for the hottest, longest lasting plug available.

I hear the wellman's are good but where can I get them and what model would I be looking for. Is there anything better than that.

tamecrow

I just bought some diesel RX plugs that are garbage. they bearly get hot enough to start the engine at 50*f. They replaced some AC 13G's that were over 2 years old and still did a better job starting the truck than the new ones I bought.

I am looking to replace them but I want to get it right this time. I am wondering what is the very best plug you can get for the 6.2l I'm looking for the hottest, longest lasting plug available.

I hear the wellman's are good but where can I get them and what model would I be looking for. Is there anything better than that.
AC 60g or Bosch Duraterm 80034. Both are self limiting and won't swell like the Wellmans. The Diesel RX plugs are Wellman plugs, and you already have a set of those.

sierrajcharlie

Mine took quite a bit of cranking to get it going. So 3 weeks ago I replaced them with the AC60G's and it now starts in 3-4 seconds. The ones that were pulled were Wellman 070's. Tested them and 2 were open. I will say though, none of them were swelled, something I was really concerned with when I started the project.2cents

OL AG '89

I just did the replacement with the AC 60G's. I haven't done the resistor bypass but planning on doing next chance I get. Mine were a mix of wellmans and other brand # 233???
I think I had about 3 or 4 bad, out of spec. M1009 starts with a single twist and runs great!! gonna do the airfilter next, haven't done since I bought see if that wakes it up a bit as I have read on other posts...

m1garand_man

Thanks

Well I guess I know what to get now. they are $70 or so for a set from o'rileys.

Too bad I spent $68 on these ones. I guess I have a set of extra plugs now to go in the random parts box. lol

Also I was wondering are the glow plugs on a timer or do they shut off once the temp sensor senses that they are hot enough? I'm thinking a timer or ellse these plugs would be starting the truck. Not to mention the fact that they dont shut off any quicker when you accidentally turn the truck over when the plugs are still lit.

Sasquatch

It may be more than the plugs, I put Wellman's in a couple months ago because I went by the Wiki for the part number without searching before I ordered. The one's I pulled out were Wellman's and had no trouble removing them, all were burned out, none badly swelled. Next set I'll order the bosch or AC60's

I've had no problems with starting since replacing them, even well below freezing without it plugged in, down to around 0 with it plugged in. You may want to double check your GP system before shelling out another $80

mistaken1

I installed a set of diesel RX swellmans after using what came from the MONG for a over a year. When I replaced the originals I had one open GP. Every single swellman burnt open on the second starting attempt and four had swollen (not too much to get out thank you God).

I replaced them with AC 60Gs (with a 12V bypass using the same control card) and proceeded to start durning the recent cold blasts without issue (probably 8 was the lowest actual temperature when I started the truck although it had been colder the night before, no external heat either).

BIG_RED

I've got wellman's in my truck now. I didn't ask around, I just bought the gp's I figured the truck would've had in the military. They've been in there for a year and a half without a problem. It had wellman's before these ones too. Due to electrical problems - they all fried. None of them swelled too much to get out. I would buy Delco's next time if I found them for >$10/each shipped. They were $40/each locally last time I looked. No way I'm paying that much.

Hasdrubal

Big Red...I concur with your disgust at Canadian prices, particularly for these AC glow plugs. We are seriously getting ripped here. A while ago I inquired of our Canadian members what prices they were paying for these, but nobody piped up.They list here for $35.00, the best price I could get with my connections was $22.00. When I ask around why they are so much here, they say its the duties and taxes. Well I say *#!%*#!, these plugs are made by Beru of Germany in an Italian plant, hence they are imported into America also.Went the e-bay route, guy in NY state, $9.59 each with $5.00 shipping. No duties or taxes applied. Definitely the way to go.

pistonium

For what it's worth, I've put AC60G's in my other 6.2 and been happy with them. I just got a set of Bosch 80034's and put them in my M1008 along with bypassing the resistor, and I am very very disappointed. I've checked them all out and everything is working as it should, but the truck starts very poorly compared to what it used to with the old plugs in it (not sure what the old ones were, got fried by overvoltage upon a couple going out (I think)).

I'm getting 11.5V at the plugs, all have good resistance, all new crimp on connectors, every thing seems to work great except the truck is now a dog to start. I won't buy Bosch again!

I'd welcome any ideas on what I might try to become happier with the Bosch plugs by the way......

kentuckycucv

My ac60gs burnt up after a month..The tips burnt off. They look like the end of a used welding rod. I didnt do the resistor bypass. I dont know why they fried...Yet

mistaken1

Perhaps it was the mixture of oils you were/are using rather than straight diesel fuel?

What kind of exhaust temps were you getting with your custom blend?

gmjunky87

**** it, I just bought a set of wellmans! I thought I would have to do the bypass using the ac60g's My truck starts ok right now but I just wanna change them out. Had the truck over a year and haven't swapped them yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks