• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best standard transmission

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the NV4500 take 800 hp?

I'm sure the final drives on a HMMWV will not.

91W350

Will the NV4500 take 800 hp?

I'm sure the final drives on a HMMWV will not.
If he has enough money to build an 800 HP 4BT, why does he care what transmission he destroys? I have been around some really bas azz 6BTs tbat were nowhere near 800 HP. We are talking over 1200 foot pounds.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
this category said not to disclose the specific vehicle
Where is this posted?

This Forum is not vehicle specific(meaning you can discuss engines and drive train for any vehicle). You do not need to keep it a secret.

With out specific vehicle information, obviously it is difficult to offer advise.

jjramrod

To oddave I thought the g56 could not handle the power at least from what I read. Whichever transmission I choose it will be custom built to handle more hp and torque than it will have. To doghead I don't plan to turn the motor up to 800 hp but its nice to know its possible. I will be turning this up. But only to the point of finding a good balance of power and mileage. My last souped up truck had so much torque you almost couldn't shift it fast enough. I kind of miss that one. it would wup a porsche all day long. Sold it to get this project going.

jjramrod

I read some articles on line that since they have started using the g56 there have been many problems and isn't it also aluminum? I've seen many broken ones for sale on line.

Last edited:

ODdave

If you have been reading then you know the issue with the 5600 as well.

Sorry but to me this is sounding like a pipe dream. in all reality what are the numbers you are wanting out of this engine? What are you doing to the final drives to make them handle the power? All of the transmissions mentioned will last far longer than the rest of the drivetrain.

jjramrod

In all reality. I will probably not go any higher than 300 hp if I go that far. This is not a pipe dream. I have the vehicle and the motor already the drive train has all heavy duty hubs and axle shafts all I need is a transmission and the components to make it work. I plan on getting this done this summer and want to have everything bought and ready to assemble by spring. I just like to have real world advice and experience from others before I make my final decision on a transmission. As I don't want any regrets when im done. thanks

ODdave

All 3 will handle that in stock form without a problem. if it where me I would use a late GM 4500 with a dodge input & bearing retainer. that way you have the more adaptable 32 spline output.

mudguppy

I'd go with the NV4500 - it's super-proven to handle way more than it's rated (and, yes, they've even been behind 800+hp 5.9s).

The second reason I'd go with the '4500 is availability. The '5600s are in farely limited supply; of that supply, there are several versions and a couple of those versions had reliability problems. Whereas there are tons of '4500s...

However, if you want a 6 speed and have the room, then I'd go with the Ford ZF6; stronger than the '5600 or '4500 (or G-units, for that matter), are in fewer (more standard) configurations and are overall much more widely available (Ford diesels 1999-2008, with most common behind the 7.3s from '99-'03). The ZFs aren't cheap, but you'll be hard pressed to kill 'em.

Otherwise, build a '4500 with Dodge input shaft and GM fixed yoke short tail shaft with 1410 yoke output; this yields the correct input for the Cummins up front, a more reliable rear output (no 5th gear issue), and a shorter overall package. This is what I did...

ODdave

Should as far as I know ford only used 1 spline count on there 4x4's and that was 31. you may have to notch the trans for the shifter.

Your next task finding an adapter to go to the zf. Destroked probably makes them but I was far less than impressed the last time I talked to them.

jjramrod

From what I read im more leaning toward the nv4500. According to what I read on wikapedia and 4bt swap the ford version has problems.
1 has an oil cooler
2 has oil pump
3 has 2 and 3the shift problem pops out of those gears
4 shifts hard like stirring asphalt in a bucket
5 shift forks bend
6 excessive bearing noise
And the gm version only solved half of those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks