• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best standard transmission

jjramrod

I wonder if I can put a dodge input shaft from a dodge np205 in a ford np205 to get the coarser stronger teeth. I already have a dodge np 205 I could take the part off of. Am I worrying to much? Or is that not even possible?

Last edited:

ODdave

nope. they will interchange but the dodge is a male shaft with a coupler.

Yu need a ford 205, and a 85-91 (Long) 32 spline 205 input. Ue the late gm 4x4 4500 with the cummins input. The spacer that you will need to go between the trans and t-case can be machined to adapt the 2 different bolt patterns.

Last edited:

jjramrod

Ok so what's the bolt pattern difference. I've been reading about the different np205 transfer cases. Is one a six bolt and one an 8 bolt? And can't I just get a adapter With the right pattern. So I don't have to have it machined. I don't want to potentially weaken the adapter. I plan on having the transmission professionaly built with all the updates and the cryogenic treatment to add 30 percent more strength. I also don't want to void the warranty.

ODdave

Dude, your WAY to pumped. There is an 8 bolt but that is dodge pre 85 chevy , irrelevent to your needs.

the ford and chevy both have a round 6 bolt pattern but the bolts are NOT symetrical and are in different locations between the 2. Machining the adapter for 6 more holes is NOT going to weaken it.

There is also no reason to do any dramatic upgrades for 300hp. save your $

If you lived closer I could make the adapter and biuld all of this (custom 4500 w/ ds 205) but NY is a haul

Last edited:

jjramrod

Ok I was just wanting to make Shure I got it all set up and done right. I had a 91 dodge with a nv4500 conversion that was stock and I had the 5th gear issue and it tore up the main shaft and sheared off the transfer case bolts. That was only 160hp with a stock 1997 nv4500. It went on the highway 75 miles from home. Id rather have over kill than under kill and have problems down the road. My father just bought a complete conversion kit for his 92 dodge with all the updates for $2,387.00. That was from the back of the engine to the transfer case. he got everything but the flywheel included.

Last edited:

ODdave

the 5th gear on your 4500 had nothing to do with power. Just do the update and your good.

You can get a 4500 and 205 for $330? what 4500 is it and what 205 is it?

jjramrod

Any one I can find there are two local yards that if they have them all I have to do is pull them and that's the price. Once every year they both have a sale for transmissions and transfer cases 75.00 a piece. They also have a sale 50 percent of everything in the yard. And they have one all you can carry for one price and im pretty strong I could probably carry that. But they both rarely get diesels in. So I guess my question is would it be worth it to get them for that cheap then have to change the shafts so everything is right?

ODdave

I would be very suprized if they had a 4500 for $75 (not saying they dont get them in but people gladly pay 3x that amount and are still getting a deal. $75 for a ford 205 is fair i guess. There not worth much because there are so many of them (I wont pay more than $40)

If your going after a 4500 find one from a 4x4 GM that hase the INTERNAL slave cylinder (96 & newer) Those will be the ONLY GM 4500 that will accept a dodge input shaft and bearing retainer.

P.S. Dont try to carry the trans, your gonna get hurt and theres no pont in that.

emr

Is the ford 205 the one hooked to the c6 trans with the 460 motors, if so i have one for sale , and could not find a data plate on it , any interested let me know, and i will give more specs :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks