• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the correct deuce PTO look like?

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure, but your pics are definitely different. Here's what I believe is the correct one shown in the first two pictures. Anyone agree?

(also, be careful - the 5ton unit is very similar, except it mounts to the opposite side of the transmission. see last picture) Deuce is on drivers side. 5-ton is on passenger side. Remember, the output shaft should be above the shift rod and face forward when mounted. If it has two outputs, it is for a dump!)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the transfer case PTO you have 5 gears in one direction and one in the other. Since the transfer case is running by the tranny, cnaging tranny gears changes directions of the pto.

Twinpinion

Recovry4x4 said:
With the transfer case PTO you have 5 gears in one direction and one in the other. Since the transfer case is running by the tranny, cnaging tranny gears changes directions of the pto.
Yeah, I'm eyballin' that PTO of yours, if you still even have it (Inner voice: please say no, please say no...). Routing the shaft to the front would be a little work but I'm thinkin' 'bout it.

gringeltaube: Hey, buddy, pal, super pal...looks like you got a deuce PTO that's not in a truck...hmmm, and I need one! How convienient!

Hey! It was worth a shot, and thanks for the pics, that helps a bunch. Who knows what those others I found are for. They're on ebay, surplus guy that apparently doesn't know what he has.

Twinpinion

Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
Hey Kenny,

I'm not doubting you, but are you sure about the first two pictures that I posted above? What do you see that isn't right?

I know my third picture is a five-ton. (it is on my 5-ton right now :) )
I think he musta meant my pics.

sermis

Find someone with a truck parts business or mechanic that knows PTO’s. (old school) The PTO’s should all mount on the same 6 bolt pattern. The internal gear can be changed out if needed making it able to be mounted onto another transmission or T-case. If you know what gear fits the trans gear the rest is easy. Most can have the output shaft swapped from front to rear as long as the housing did not have relief cuts for the gear. If they are cheep enough it is worth it. There are numerous gear configurations. The first pic looks like a forward / reverse off of a 60-70’s Chevy. I used on a M725 with a swapped gear until I found a NOS.

Hookin1

If those pto's are for an m35 they are for the A3,which have hydraulic winches.those are one direction pto's and there also either on or off.now if you mount it on the transfer case you could make them work in both directions but would'nt do any good to drive the front winch,maybae a rear winch setup

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not very convenient, Lance. Freight would kill you. Those PTOs are in Uruguay now! I bought them last year, very cheap, from Victory Ground Support & Equipment Co., down town LA, CA. They might have some left. Try (323) 581-7272, Jamey Ekerling.

Gerhard

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I was referring to Mr Pinions pics, not yours. I was just kicking the transfer case PTO thing around and although it would run backwards if the tranny was in reverse, it wouldn't oil correctly. In order for the transfer case PTO to work, it needs oil and since its on the top, there is none. The engineers got around this by installing a rotary pump on the PTO which drafts oil from the supm via a fitting where the common drain plug usually is. Running the transfer case backwards will run the rotary pump backwards and no oil would be drafted. Bummer! Guess it works a little bit though, it ran the Pipeline rear winch.
I sold a really nice reman PTO to Ida34 a while back. Attached is the pic of it after Fedex got done with it. They did pay for it! One day I'll try to fix it!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks