• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the difference, BMY vs AM General, if any ?

1Ghost

Between a BMY or AM General 5 ton ?
Looking at a M927 .

And what does it take besides $$ to change over from the standard tires and rims to the super single style ?

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looking at a M927 .

And what does it take besides $$ to change over from the standard tires and rims to the super single style ?
Use the search feature. There is atleast 15 or more threads on this.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at a M927 .

The primary difference is the engine. The AM General has an NH250, and the BMY has an 8.3. The second biggest difference is the presence of CTIS on the BMY. BMY trucks bring a fairly substantial premium (IMO undeserved)

Not every change is an improvement. Opinions vary as to which is "better".

Changing to singles is fairly trivial. Wheels, tires, and lugnuts.

big block 88

Im not a bmy guy.... that said a2 trucks are just fine. I prefer the old cummins 855 to the little 8.3 school bus motors. Ctis is great if it works... either way great trucks and superior to their replacements the fmtvs.

1Ghost

So looking at 14 liters vs 8.3 .
But the 8.3 is easier to turn up .....once again a dilemma.
I think I like the idea of the NH250 now over the 8.3.
Whats it take to get some more HP out of the NH250 ?
Pump and injectors ?

This may have changed my focus from the BMY to the AM .
I would like the ctis but so many people dont even fix theirs.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive both. Form your own opinions ; don't take our word for it (in EITHER direction)

That being said, here's my take -

I've owned and driven bunches of each kind. In 90% of usages there's no substantial difference in performance, certainly not enough to choose one over the other if everything else is equal. Generally, Pick a truck based on overall condition of the truck.

Here's the exceptions to the above:

1) Do you put enough miles on it for fuel efficiency to play a major role? If so, then you want an 8.3. (The comparison is 9mpg to 5mpg)

2) is most of your driving at highway speed towing? If so, then you want an 8.3.

3) is most of your driving at low speed, with extremely heavy loads? If so, you want the NH250, and probably a manual transmission (M809series)

4) if you're looking to turn the existing engine up, you want the 8.3.

You mentioned turning it up. Do you have a plan to keep from killing the Allison transmission? It's pretty close to maxed out on torque rating at the stock 8.3 settings...and have you considered the likely outcomes? (No worries, I have in-frame kits for the 8.3 when you melt the pistons...)

If you need/want more than stock level power, just get one with a bad NH250. Pull the motor and put in a 400HP big cam Cummins. This is where you'll end up anyway, so just skip the intermediate steps of tearing up the others...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats it take to get some more HP out of the NH250 ?
Pump and injectors ?

s.
The M818 pictured in my avatar was modified by the previous owner. Turbo and pyrometer.

It gives up nothing to an 8.3. Even with the 16.00 super singles it sprints up the hills as well as any 939A2 I've driven, even with another truck on towbar behind it. Fuel mileage is 7-8mpg, even with another truck on towbars behind it.

All that being said, these things don't have oil squirters built into the block and aren't designed for dissipating the additional heat a turbo brings to the table. EGTs bear close watching.

With either the NH250 or 8.3 there's a tradeoff turning them up. You're risking longevity/durability/robustness for more power. If you know enough to let off it and downshift when EGTs start to climb, there's probably enough wiggle room for a bit of turning up. ..

But the only way you find a limit is when you exceed it....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
on the other note. my 250 has a pump that is bumped up a lot, dual fuel line kit, rainbird ram air system, and other odds and ends and shes done over 80,000miles and counting all of it under heavy towing conditions. I run no pyro or turbo.

1Ghost

.....Hmmmm good points all around ...and um nooooo do not want to need a in frame rebuild .
I think I will worry more about the condition of the truck as it seems the 8.3 would do fine for me .
But I wont pass on a NH250 if I find one .
I too have no wish to cut up a good truck , if i was to Custom build a truck i would look for the parts trucks as needed .
I want to thank you for your input and patience , I'm not a kid but this is new to me .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ray, member 86M1028, is in Dallas and has a nice M923A2 he is looking to part with. Can get it hauled up to you fairly cheap. It is not a 927 but it will be a lot less. 927 and 928A2 trucks aren't out there really much anymore. Would be cheaper to get a M934 with the box removed and add a 20' bed to it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Case in point...

Wes, just how many transmissions have you been through? And you're not running an Allison at the moment are you?

:)
Those be the allisons fault, not the engine. too much heat from the heat exchanger IMO. and just a bad output bearing on the last one. Go big or go home. and the big one is about to be on her way to the house.

Attachments

tobyS

Do you have a 927 located that is the 250 or are you making your short list before going shopping? Why the long bed?