• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the difference, BMY vs AM General, if any ?

71DeuceAK

First of all, welcome to the site!

A little more background- Originally AM General had the contract to produce the M939 series trucks starting in 1982, had G177 duals (or NDTs in some cases I believe). Later, around 1985 or 1986, the M939A1 came about, with 14R20 "Super Single" tires and rims. Later, in I think 1987 or so, the contract got re-bid to BMY, Blaine-McLaughlin-York, which produced the M939A2, an improved version ("improved") being a little subjective depending on personal preference, they're both great trucks). The A2 had the 6CTA 8.3 vs the NHC250, CTIS, and a few other minor differences I won't mention here and now, they're pretty minor.

The M927/M928 are still out there, but they weren't that common to begin with- only about 500 ever built. I myself have always had a soft spot in my heart for the M927/M928. A lot of them have sadly been molested and hacked up into either seed/manure spreaders by farmers, fire or water trucks, R/Vs, or worse yet bobbed/shortened (I've actually seen a case of an M928A2 meeting that end, it personally made me cringe). I myself have bid on several at auction, alas never won (98G can confirm the stories I'm sure as he walked me through it).

A lot of people think the want for an XLWB cargo is strange, but I can relate as a fellow long truck enthusiast; I know only about one or two other people who don't just laugh and say why on earth would anybody in their right mind want something so looooonnnnngggg?

And to second someone else's comment- yes, you could also get an M934 van and put an M927 bed on that, they're the extra-long wheel base. I personally would go for a 927 if you have a line on one (sounds like you do already) since the M934's will only get rarer too in unmodified form, plus it's extra work (although the boxes can go for a small fortune it seems; I'm sure even if you did the dirty deed of scrapping it you could make some decent cash if you tore it apart individually, separating the various metals, not that I would do that myself).

Also- what would your intended use for the M927 be? R/V? Long-bed cargo?

tobyS

71DeuceAK, you hit upon why I was asking about the 927....it's rare and most I've seen were kind of pricey. I didn't know how many were made with the 250, but I expected it was not a large number.

I certainly can see the long wheelbase for some needs but the extreme back overhang would appear to make it an awkward tow vehicle. Yet if the OP is hauling hay, probably none better. If he is anyplace with tight turn radius's....they need some room.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Like I said in the long run a 934 with box removed may be your cheaper route than trying to find a 927. Especially if you want an A2. Mos68x acquired one out of Alabama for reasonable and just put a bed on it. You may spend 8k on a 934A2 chassis vs someone wanting 12k for a M927A1 or 15k for a M927A2.
I have a good source for a few of the M139/M328/M821 20ft Bridge Truck Stake beds that would look pretty awesome on one I believe. Drive the truck here and I can make the bed fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That information from that source is incorrect, the bridge truck stake bed is 9ft 7in wide.
Didn't look that wide yesterday. I actually thought it was a dumpster since they were stacked into a box. Didnt have tags on em either. My apologies

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

red

Agreed, that 7ft is supposed to be a 9ft + xin with the bridge truck beds. That and the outer duals are most of what make them overwidth. Cheapest way to get a longbed though is with a bridge truck then narrow the bed.

If I ever get a 2nd truck it will probably be a bridge truck, either one of the m809 series models.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Didn't look that wide yesterday. I actually thought it was a dumpster since they were stacked into a box. Didnt have tags on em either. My apologies

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
It would be a sweet bed if it was narrowed up to legal width. It's a pretty cool setup with the winches and the clamps that hold each stake rack. It'd be a lot of work though, it's built way heavy.

tobyS

It would be a sweet bed if it was narrowed up to legal width. It's a pretty cool setup with the winches and the clamps that hold each stake rack. It'd be a lot of work though, it's built way heavy.
We had the conversation of shipping without it on the one you have. I couldn't remember width and the reference I posted must be wrong as well.

Did the OP ever say why he wanted a long bed?

tobyS

On a GP auction ending I think today, there is a cab-chassis that is listed as a 925, yet it appears to have a very long frame. What's up with that? Also is a 927 that is done at 9 Pacific..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks