• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the going price for a set of hawker batteries?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M16 ty and Patracy, when I was pricing 8D batteries from Napa, they gave me a core price of $60 and said they would take a Hawker as trade. I did not sell a core for $60. AutoZone was the same and so was Big R farm store.

While I now have several to use as cores, the big 8D I purchased from O'Reilly is the only one I found with a cheaper core of $18. That puts a 2 battery set of 1400 cca at a cost of about $400, list $710.

I didn't mean to imply I sold junk cores for $60 but that that was avoided cost at three other stores.

How much are new Hawkers and how much do they give as core? I'll bet $100 for a 2012 used (but good condition) is cheap.

Those are junior counterman or folks who do not know battery core prices. 8d or 4d or 6tl have separate and different core values but hey, if they want to give you credit and lose $- take it and smile :)

tobyS

juanprado, you are right, but each of them were significantly higher on the battery price as well and/or may have not followed through on giving me core credit on the big 8D, which was $60. I didn't have to find out, since O'Reilly core was only $18 and they DID give me credit on an 8D.

This thread started because Ddmk18 is taking out a set that he says are 2012 vintage and looking for a fair price for selling them. Perhaps I have mistakenly been told that the Hawker is the same core as an 8D, but my guess is M16ty and patracy have a stack of junk ones they would love to get $60 each for, so jumped on my post.

So we still don't know what a Hawker dealer will give as a core, if they will buy cores at anywhere near the credit price or what a list and sale price is? M16ty says they are around $330, presumably new but since on ebay, with what warranty?

To answer Ddmk18, it would appear to me that both parties benefit at about $100-125 or so. Super clean, fully charged maybe $150...they are 2012!

Ddmk18

Thanks tobyS you have been very helpful and keeping this on track. I was thinking around $80 each which would be $320 for the set would be fair so I guess I wasn't to far off. Thank You

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are junior counterman or folks who do not know battery core prices. 8d or 4d or 6tl have separate and different core values but hey, if they want to give you credit and lose $- take it and smile :)
It just means they have their batteries overpriced on the front end if they are deducting the core off the price of the new battery. If they are adding the core price on top of the new battery price, they are just trying to make a fortune on you for not having a core.

Toby, yes I usually have several junk 6tl batteries lying around. I was fixing to send you a pallet of them. :D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we still don't know what a Hawker dealer will give as a core, if they will buy cores at anywhere near the credit price or what a list and sale price is? M16ty says they are around $330, presumably new but since on ebay, with what warranty?
I went back a re-looked at my info, I was wrong (they called the battery a Hawker but upon further inspection it's a flooded cell battery). The closest thing I found to a Hawker is $520 http://www.wholesalebatteriesdirect...-6t-agm-battery-replaces-hawker-6tl-6-tl.html

Preacher Shawn

Good luck! If your staying with AGM, why are you even changing? Suprman was right (above). If these are all 012 batteries, why not invest in a charger? Question...you do know how to fool a conventional charger to work on them, don't you?
Sorry to ask and get off topic but what is the charge trick?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They need a long 24-36 hour 15 amp charge per battery if they are dead. Bosch makes a nice charger maintainer that does 24v if they are not dead just a bit low or you want to maintain them the bosch charger has a specific 24v agm setting. I have mine with a slave connector on the end so I can plug it in the side. I have a big Schumacher 24v 40amp charger I had left the batt switch on for a few days and killed a set of hawkers dead as a doorknob. 30 hours at 40 amps they were back to life and fully topped off.

tobyS

PShawn, Charging an AGM requires either a special charger or a method of fooling a regular charger.... with low voltage, they do not "see" the battery and charge it. So the "trick" is to fool it with a conventional battery that has a near full charge. One hooks up a parallel connection (not series) between the two batteries and applies the charge to both at once. Once it get up a ways, then remove the second battery and finish it. It may take days, not hours.

M16ty, that's a lot of money! Thanks for going the extra step in finding the price.

Suprman, if your not too far from Duncansville PA, these are 2012 batteries and $80 would be a good price.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some Hawker Datasheets and the Military TB

www.hawkeraplus.com
http://www.hawkeraplus.com/technical_information.htm

Single Battery Charging Procedures:

Use a constant voltage charger of newer technology, which may have multiple charge settings and steps (such as AGM setting).
If adjustable, the voltage should be set between 14.4 volts and 15.0 volts and there should be at least 10 amperes current available for charging. Do not use these values for the vehicle's voltage during regulator setting. Consult the appropriate Technical Manual.
If battery charger has no adjustments or switches and is not a SMART Charger (calculates at what voltage/amps the battery is to be charged) and output voltage is greater than 15.0 volts DC, the battery should be closely monitored (every 15 minutes) during the first two hours of charge process. If it shows signs of excessive heat when touching the exterior, leaking, or swelling during charge stage, charging should be stopped immediately.
Charge batteries for 12 hours or longer, and check the system at least once per day to assure proper operation. Severely depleted batteries (OCV less than 10 volts DC) can take a significant amount of time to recharge.
Battery is finished when charge current (ampere meter on charger) drops to less than 1 ampere and holds there for three hours. Automatic chargers will stop charging and give a screen reading of “Charge Complete.”
Proceed with Post-charge testing.

Post-Charge Testing:
Remove batteries from charger and allow them to settle (rest and cool, preferably overnight).
Test the Battery: Refer to TB 9-6140-252-13 for exact test methods/equipment.
When battery OCV is above 12.85 volts and load voltage exceeds 10.80 volts the battery is good for reissue to fleet, as is without need for recharging.
When the battery OCV and load voltage are below 12.85 volts and/or 10.80 volts respectively, battery needs additional charging.

Attachments

Motorcar

For those interested in new Hawker 6TAGM Armasafe plus batteries, I purchased 4 from the very nice people at Power Pro Battery http://powerprobattery.net/ They do list on Ebay as well with a buy now price of $145 each shipped to 48 states. (closed this week of July 4 for vacation) The batteries are new in original packaging never having been installed on a vehicle. Hawker sells to the government with a 36 month warranty, government puts on a shelf for possible use, close to end of warranty government sells for scrap value never having opened the box, we get a great price.:) All four of the ones I got several days ago still have a month left on Hawker warranty and are as advertised, NIB. My M923A2 is happy, thought maybe some of you out there might want some too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks