• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats the reason behind motor oil in the fuel tank..?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know everyone has a different idea as to additives, and I respect that. To each his own.

I believe in them, once I added the two stroke oil in my GMC and CUCV, the engines quieted down. Once I started using hydraulic fluid and WMO in the deuce, the engine quieted down as well. That tells me that something positive is happening.

Using 'additives' is 100% up to you.

Srjeeper

Judging from the results of that test and the fact that most if not all the lubrication properties have been reduced to such a low %.

The few extra pennies it cost to add a lubricating agent compared to the cost of a IP is minimal, so why not add something.

Rather safe than sorry..2cents

1984CUCV

I found a place that sells off road diesel which runs about 40 cents cheaper than on road and that is what I run in my m1008. Now I know I will get tons of posts saying you cant do that. My thought is this: for starters it is not a commerical vehicle so the chances of DOT dipping my tanks is slim to non. I fuel up in plain day light and to date no one has ever questioned what i was doing. It could be because m1008 looks like it belongs being filled with off road. I do run good diesel additive with all the money I save and to date have not had a problem.

jollyroger

I found a place that sells off road diesel which runs about 40 cents cheaper than on road and that is what I run in my m1008. Now I know I will get tons of posts saying you cant do that. My thought is this: for starters it is not a commerical vehicle so the chances of DOT dipping my tanks is slim to non. I fuel up in plain day light and to date no one has ever questioned what i was doing. It could be because m1008 looks like it belongs being filled with off road. I do run good diesel additive with all the money I save and to date have not had a problem.
I'm a live and let live type of guy. So I'm not lighting you up. But honestly I would remove your post and repost something that says "hypothetically what would happen if I ran the "off road" dyed fuel?. Or "is the off road dyed fuel different than the regular on road fuel"? Or something like that.

If you were to be found out the penalties are huge because you are avoiding paying a TAX. It's not that the fuel is cheaper. It's that you are not paying the federal and state road taxes. I know a fella that did this and he ended up plea bargaining down to a $10,000 fine. And it was his first offence.

Is it really worth it to pay $.40 a gallon less? You would have to run 4000 gallons of fuel at the off road price to make up for paying the $10,000 fine.

As for the ULSD fuels. I think it's typically more of a problem for civilian diesel trucks and equipment manufactured before the contemplation of using ULSD for a motor fuel. The military has had ULSD type fuel in contemplation for a long time. The sulfer in the fuel is what was the major lubricating agent for most civy diesel IP's. We have run the Lucas fuel conditioner for almost 15 years in the tractors here on the farm. And I run that in all of the older diesel trucks and equipment that we have here on the farm. If I can't find the Lucas or Howe's we run a quart of ATF.

My 09 Dodge with the 6.7L Cummin's I'm not worried about because it's built for the ULSD fuel.

I run the Lucas fuel conditioner in ALL of my surplus military equipment. That equipment may not need it but I don't mind giving the IP's a little help. So far I've had no IP problems to report using the Lucas.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Jollyroger, the less said the better. Thanks for any and all help. Since the Amoco 20/50 motor oil I have is free and has no real use for me I think I will keep adding a quart a tank. I have gone through 3 tanks now and have noticed a quieter truck, it does not smoke at all and I have a tad bit more pep. Can't hurt.[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

jollyroger

I like the word free[thumbzup]........And I am sure someone will differ with my opinion but if it works for you then so be it.:grd:
I have heard the improvements you describe as anticdotal evidence of an improvement. That there is no scientific basis for said improvement........That statement may be a fact.........But we all like to feel good about stuff don't we?Do what you gotta do. It's a free country right?.......

Preacherboy

I respect the study, and I had thought the Stanadyne reated 5th or so; but with that being said I think the engineers who made the IP (Stanadyne) would also know how to make the right kind of fuel additive...makes sense to me.

I highly doubt the folks who made that study (remember, I'm not bashing this help study) put as many hours into their test as Stanadyne put into theirs.

I've heard biofuel is the best lubricator, but I know my newer Stanadyne pump on my 98 Suburban doesn't like it and I will not run it knowingly in my deuce because it is an excellent solvent as well. I don't want it cleaning out everything to perfection and plugging up my fuel filters multiple times. So I stick with regular diesel with some UMO mixed it.

And Don, free is great! I got some free, un-opened oil once and I dumped it directly into my deuce fuel tank!

sierrajcharlie

Good info! I just wish I had seen it BEFORE I opened up my new jug of Lucas Upper Cylinder last night when I fueled up. The Super Tech Outboard is right behind you when you're grabbing the Lucas at my local Wally World. I've just spent my last $9 on the Lucas. Thanks!

top_prop

Regular Motor oil... disappointed in results

So regular motor oil hardly improved the lubricity of the fuel in the study... at 200:1 that would be .5% mix... From what I read here most guys run 10% and up to 50% filtered WVO... I have to wonder what the lubricity results would be at a 5% and 10% ratio.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know but I am happy with 1 quart per 20 gal, seems to be the ticket at least for a GM 6.2

GoldComet6

Based on my research here & conversations with other members, I selected 2 cycle as the best option. I put 1/2 QT per 15 galllons of diesel.

I felt regular motor oil has too many additives.