• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Adapter? *hope this hasn't been recent..."

spicergear

Chuck's Trucks has a set for $2000 for four of them. Crackheads. I ran across a guy that thinks with a little time he can round me up a set of 'A3 wheels so I'm pretty much holding off making a spacer for a while. I'm still going to be getting the 10 hole wheels. We'll see...I still got a couple ideas for that.

meanmudder

If you ask me chuckstrucks can stick it where the sun don't shine. I had some 2.5 ton rockwells I was wanting to trade him for a set of 48" terra tires and he offered me $150 per axle :nono:

spicergear

Yeah...that's a bunch of shite! I have my 478hr good running multifuel sitting around and a guy in the business tell me he'd buy it IF it was nice and cheap. I asked how cheap and he told me PRETTY cheap. He's advertising injector pumps for $600. I'll keep it.

rdixiemiller

I saw a lot on the GL site in Fla. I think there are 43 or so 10 lug hubs from a trailer that hauled the minuteman missiles. I will see if I can find the link and post it. They look like they would be a good start for a wheel adapter.
Spicergear- Have you checked on flame cut blanks for your adapters? Most anyone with a cutting table can burn them out. I have a 1/2 sheet of 1" plate that would be good for that.
If you made adapters 1" thick, would the 5 ton wheels with 14x20's fit and look right? How hard are the 5 ton single wheels to find, and how expensive?
Regards
Robert Miller

spicergear

I think it would put them just about the right placement with the 1" spacing. 14x20's are too tall. I have a set of 395/85-20 XL's that are 15.5x45.5. They'll fit without the mods needed for 1400 that are about 3" taller. I often throw around ideas in my empty head and would think that a machined plate about 1/2" that had a lip on it that fit exactly the center of the five ton wheel, and stuck up to be flush with it. That could be machined to machine in the five ton wheel and the plate so that the deuce pattern that lands on the lip of the center hole would be supported, so to speak, the whole way around the stud. That would be pretty easy and take the least amount of machining, but should be done CNC to assure accuracy. I'll probably have my five ton combats in the next couple of months and will be having plenty of dumb ideas as they...and the truck...AND the XL's are so near to each other. It will either be genius...or painful. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Wick246

Come on Spicer - you were so close... I guess the question remains if the 10 lug wheels wont clear the six lug nuts in the center, how do they use the adapter plates?

yorkgulch

adapters or hubs

Would it be easier to machine new hubs for the deuce with a 10 bolt pattern or would that just create brake drum bolt pattern issues? There is a guy that makes an 8 bolt hub for deuce axles to use on rock crawlers but I think they convert to disk brakes at the same time. I asked him if he was planning on making ten bolt hubs but he said he had all the work he could handle forthe time being.

spicergear

The 10 hole bolt circle is much larger compared to the deuces 6. The 8-3/4" deuce bolt circle is the diameter of the center hole in a typical 10 hole wheel. The deuce hub would need to be almost 2" lager PER SIDE. That'd be some mega machining time there.

That guy is Randy Ouverson of Ouverson Engineering. (www.ouversonengineering.com) He's a real good guy. I've had the opportunity to compare is lockouts peice by piece against a Selectro and had the pleasure of running a pair of his double splined axleshafts and alloy flanges in my other truck.

Wick246

After sleeping on it I think the center of the 10 lug wheel hitting the 6 lugs of the hub problem could be solved by counter sinking the 6 holes on the adapter plate and running the studs (maybe longer ones) backwards through the plate and the hub with nuts on the back side.

spicergear

Something like this would keep things tight though you'd have to relieve the 5 ton center hole for the deuce studs, then chamfer them and the adapter as a unit for the deuce lug nuts to seat. You'd use 8 lugs to hold the 5 ton wheel to the adapter.

Wick246

If you countersink the 6 holes and run the studs backwards through both the adapter and the hub, you could run 10 lug wheels without having to modify them and be able to use all 10 studs.

spicergear

spicergear said:
Something like this would keep things tight though you'd have to relieve the 5 ton center hole for the deuce studs, then chamfer them and the adapter as a unit for the deuce lug nuts to seat. You'd use 8 lugs to hold the 5 ton wheel to the adapter.

Keep in mind that the deuce wheels are lug-centric. You would still need to have the lug nuts in a chamfer somewhere to keep that plate centered. Using your idea of counterboring the holes and puttin the studs in backward so no 5 ton wheel mod would be needed *should* only require the rear of the hubs 6 hole pattern to be countersunk for the nuts to seat and center the plate. Then, as you've photo shopped, all 10 studs could be used. Plate would need to be prolly in the area of 3/4"-1" thick to make sure it had the meat enought like a stock hub mouting flange.

Wick246

I see your point about about chamfering the hub so the nuts can center the plate. If one wanted to get really into it you could set up some bearings on a rod or tube, assemble the plate to the hub with all 16 studs in it and balance it as an assembly before installation on the truck.

M1075 those wheels and tires look great and if I had my truck already and a little extra I would jump all over them. But that brings up the next question of how to keep the truck at least somewhat legal for the road with the bigger tires on it. No farm or ranges for me to drive on so the state will want to look at it every year plus the curious ones who may pull me over for a look.

Wick246

Thats it!

Would it be better to find some studs with longer grip length for the six that go through the hub and plate for centering? Then the body of the stud would be tight all the way through both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks